Comic 960 - Start planning your escape

Posted on 22nd Apr 2018, 11:01 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Start planning your escape

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4.75 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 22nd Apr 2018, 11:01 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
Michelle takes a deep breath.

"They ain't lookin' for y'all."

"Don't," Caius starts. "I ain't about that and you know it."

Michelle shrugs as best she can with a minigun in her hands. "Y'all can make a monster, throw it out a window as a distraction, find some scrubs and slip right out the door no biggie--"

"Nah," Caius retorts. "We all get out or we ain't gettin' out. I ain't a fuggen coward."

They're looking for someone with facial burns. Michelle doesn't--

"C'mon," Michelle says with half a smile. "They ain't dumb. They'll at least try to detain me for questionin', and if they do I'm cooked. It'd be too weird if I just happened to be from the same pack as th' meat that did the shootout."

Okay.

Carpenter left a hole in the bottom floor. You have a pretty good grasp on Thale's tunnel system now. If you can find a way to distract that robot, you could get into those tunnels and slip out that way.

"That's what I'm talkin' about," Caius replies. "I ain't afraid to wrestle a robot."

Michelle gives a dry, almost forced laugh, shaking her head. "If it's the same one I saw last time, it's got lasers and miniguns. I'm 90% sure it's got a bomb. You don't wanna fight it."

Getting around it's going to be... difficult, though. The first floor is mostly hallway, which means Carpenter will see you coming regardless. You could try the stairs, you could try the elevator, but either way you're going to be in a shooting gallery.

The three of you start to make your way across the fourth floor, even though you're not real certain what the plan is yet. You start to talk to Fuse--

"Already on it," he says. "I'm sending the location of the hackers to Jury, and I'm sending camera feed of the robot to all the nearby cops. I'm attaching a message trying to talk them off of you and onto the real assholes here, but... well, the truth hasn't gotten us real far yet. Here's hoping."

"At the very least," Dr. Finch adds, "perhaps it will keep the police from barging into a deathtrap. We're attempting to keep them out of the fight... that's the best we can do."

You could avoid Carpenter entirely if you... grew something. Maybe something to climb, or something to take you across to the next building.

"Ain't a distraction in the world gonna keep eyes off o' that," Michelle comments. "Too many people, and a meat bridge'll be hard to miss. Besides... that's an awful place to start on tryin' to externalize the hard way."

"We could portal it," Caius suggests. "Blondie's gone in her own red before, right?"

It's a thought--Dr. Finch could probably find a way to spread more of your blood elsewhere, so you could portal back out. You could be lost in your own red for days, weeks, or worse, though. Even if you decided to just... wait, and try to come back out the same portal when the coast is clear, there's no telling how long that'll be or if someone will clean the blood up.

Caius sighs. "Damn. Makin' a break for tha tunnels might be tha best we got."

Michelle gives a shallow nod. "Yeah. Might be. How we wanna do this? ...I feel like we need a plan, 'cuz just runnin' out there guns blazin' ain't gonna cut it."

Comments:

Wote 22nd Apr 2018, 11:30 PM edit delete reply
I think Psychoshen had the right idea last page. If we can find a way to bait it up even a couple of floors, we can make a break down and try to slip around before it realizes it's going the wrong way.

If we knew how the robot is likely hunting us, Fuse might be able to do something remotely. Failing that, maybe we could use the meat slab to draw its attention. Hell, even a blood golem or two might be enough to force it to commit to a pursuit for a few key moments.
Twyll 23rd Apr 2018, 1:37 AM edit delete reply
Good idea on the blood golems, if we can pop a couple out quickly enough. We know that the robot's gun takes a moment to spin up, so he might have to spend a bit of time on shooting them.
Guest 23rd Apr 2018, 1:57 AM edit delete reply
Make them sabotage the guns? Blind the robot? I can see that happening. If blondie manages to pull it off right.
lil Joshu 23rd Apr 2018, 2:18 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
... blood exploding blood golems. Cover the sensors of the bot, and potentially let us take it over.

Seems like a good plan.
Heroshima 23rd Apr 2018, 5:38 AM edit delete reply
Heroshima
Maybe we can try leading it away, then covering it in blankets so it's stunned long enough for us to escape.
Reiko Lupus 22nd Apr 2018, 11:37 PM edit delete reply
I'm running out of ideas XD. Everyone wants to Protect the life of the Cops, but even if I ain't a Monster, I see that as a mission almost impossible if we want to let our group survive XD.

Well, for now:
Carpenter doesn't seem to be to type who sent's groups of Monster. If he was, he would done that in the past. If he isn't creating Monsters in the spot with a bioprinter, then he sends ONE big Monster that he is sure can't be defeated. We don't need to worry about reinforcements from the hole in the ground. And even if waiting only give the cops more time to close their perimeter, we are going to escape for the tunnels.
Let's make this a game of Hide and Seek with the giant robot XD. Let's put eyes made in the Red in various places of the hospital to follow the movement of the robot. He IS GOING to be after us if we don't come down son. But and hospital, even a common one, isn't a simple and linear place. If he comes, we has options to evade it. Let's prepare the eyes to follow it's movement, and when it comes, search for the best routes in every moment to enter the hole!
Reiko Lupus 23rd Apr 2018, 12:47 AM edit delete reply
Fair Point XD.
Crayssius 22nd Apr 2018, 11:38 PM edit delete reply
We may have to ditch the minigun. Ain't nobody can run very fast carrying something that heavy.
Tych 23rd Apr 2018, 12:01 AM edit delete reply
it's actually very light compared to a normal one what with having been made from handguns and using said handgun ammo
Blue_Elite 22nd Apr 2018, 11:44 PM edit delete reply
We could blood some sheets/blankets and try to just throw them all over Carpenter's machine to blind it using the cameras to guide them (by seeing through Fuse to see the cameras). As long as we blind Carpenter before he sees us, it's likely he'll not detonate the machine in case we're too far away or not even in the area as far as he knows. If the explosive was strong enough to collapse the whole building on us (or Carpenter knew instead of merely suspected where we are) he'd likely have blown up the machine on the 1st floor and toppled the hospital on top of us.

EDIT: For strategy, if we can get more than one blooded sheet, we can send one down the elevator and one down the stairway. That way Carpenter hopefully can't shoot/burn them both away before we get one of them over his optics.
Reiko Lupus 23rd Apr 2018, 12:51 AM edit delete reply
That's... A really good idea. For what we saw the last time, that machine doesn't look like it can do something about a thing like that. A thing as simple and fragile as that. If we see the place with the cameras using Fuse's eyes, I think Blondie can control the blankets well enough to do it from safe distance XD.
lil Joshu 23rd Apr 2018, 2:22 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Combine that with the exploding blood golems idea and the two-portal backup-escape plan, and I think we have a winner. However, be sure to have Fuse cut the feed to the cops before we go revealing our blood powers.
T41 23rd Apr 2018, 1:33 AM edit delete reply
Aye, just because we have some new tricks doesn't mean the old ones can't still be good.
Twyll 23rd Apr 2018, 1:35 AM edit delete reply
I like this idea, yes.
wierdweblurker 23rd Apr 2018, 12:01 AM edit delete reply
wierdweblurker
Say... hospitals these days use EM field induction. Do we have the combined scientific knowledge to make an EMP?
lil Joshu 23rd Apr 2018, 2:24 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
All you have to do is instead of it being steady, make it a fast-repeating pulse. (Basically right now, it's spinning like a search light to move things, we want it to blink like a strobe light). We could have Fuse hack it and...

wait...

blooding electronics doesn't give fine control, but a simple strobelight isn't fine control, that's just repeatedly banging the on/off switch. Blondie could do it. Blood the walls, fry the bot!
Nayru9572 23rd Apr 2018, 6:27 AM edit delete reply
That would turn off the lights and cameras as well, and we can't be sure how Carpenter is controlling the monster. It's a good idea, but it seems pretty risky.
Cuttlefish 23rd Apr 2018, 7:57 AM edit delete reply
Plus, this is a hospital. Shutting off the power could cause collateral damage.
psychoshen 23rd Apr 2018, 1:24 AM edit delete reply
psychoshen
I'm still for luring the nasty towards us and running towards the open path for the tunnel. We could leave behind some of our bandages and try to tangle up the monsterbot to slow it down as we make our getaway.

An alternative to this (though similar) is to lure it into an elevator and escape through the top. Have Michelle and Caius break the cables and any brakes it has and drop that sucker down as many flights as the hospital is tall. Might even shoot at it while it's falling for maximum gratuitous violence.
lil Joshu 23rd Apr 2018, 2:16 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
As far as going in a blood portal, waiting, and then coming back out, what about putting two blood portals? If they're close here, hopefully they'll be close in the red. So one for us to easily hop into, and one in the ceiling tiles or something. Not big enough to get our whole body through, just enough to get out a hand so we can toss some blood back on the floor later for a bigger portal if they mop it up. Then Finch could make the blood portal on the other side, and then we could see if we could see if we can see or sense it or not. (We've never tried sensing the location of our allies while in the red, if we can, that might make it super-easy.)
Espylacopa 23rd Apr 2018, 2:41 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
The portals are difficult to locate because everything is all red. Could we send something into the portal from the other side, marking it's location, making it easier to find?
37212513 23rd Apr 2018, 3:46 AM edit delete reply
37212513
Distance probably don't work the same way in the red, but there may be an idea here. If team B (anyone NOT with Jane) can make a pool/puddle sufficient for portalling, all we need is a beacon. On that note, how effective a beacon would mini-Jane be? Even If we gaff that up, all we lose is cute, no real attachment. An alternative beacon would be anything non-living that Jane has an attachment to, or has blooded. As an alternative question, did she ever clean the blood off of her bed back home? I know that's a risky area, but the danger is far less than here and now. Further, she's hit that portal before, familiarity has value.
pkrankow 23rd Apr 2018, 6:25 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
I am back at this. Start with mini Jane and hole up in the hospital. Have mini make a pool and initiate the portal to us. When we grab it push Michelle and Caius through, then Michelle and Caius pull us through. Use bandages to make a longer chain but the distance should be moot. It is sorta a Mobius strip...

Actually pretty similar to kedging a boat off a sandbar.
undeadDreamer 23rd Apr 2018, 3:45 AM edit delete reply
I'd like to point out that we can change Michelle's face.
Verde 23rd Apr 2018, 3:53 AM edit delete reply
True, but so could a cosmetic surgeon.
DÆMONBIRDY 23rd Apr 2018, 5:04 AM edit delete reply
THROW THE BIOPASTE CANISTER OR USE EM APPARITIONS.
AFTER THIS, WE CAN TRY TO MAKE GHOSTS IN THE ORIGINAL HOSPITAL,DURESS AND EM, THE ORIGINAL HOSPITAL HAS BOTH OF THEM.
Frission 23rd Apr 2018, 6:02 AM edit delete reply
Frission
I'm liking some of these ideas so far. We should get into the mindset that "We're not trapped in here with Carpenter's robot... Carpenter's robot is trapped in here with us." }:3

First, have our hacker team blind the cameras for the upper floors that we're on. The hackers and carpenter are guaranteed to be using those to watch us right now. Blind them. Or better, spoof them—make them think we're going somewhere we're not. As simple as a camera loop of empty floors, up to as complex as footage of us moving around in the wrong direction. Whatever our guys feel confident about doing.

Then we should set a trap for it. Let's get back to our roots—head for a chemical supply closet, sync with fuse or finch (or both) and build a bomb, or an incendiary, or some sort of acid/corrosive agent that will disable the robot (or at least slow it down). Tie it to some blooded bandages and make a bandage-bomb golem.

We then wait for the robot to reach a higher level, and have blooded blankets hiding in the vents ready to fly out and start playing some house of horrors nonsense with him. Like the others suggested, blind his cameras, sew confusion. Set off the device next to a vulnerable spot like where the legs connect to the bot.

While carpenter is trying to deal with all this, we'll slip down to the bottom floor and into the tunnels. We'll need to move fast—I expect once Carpenter has decided his bot is losing the fight, he'll rig it to blow.
Tych 23rd Apr 2018, 7:12 AM edit delete reply
That could work it accounts for what we know about our enemy and what we are good at the only problem I could see would be the device we never know what we might find could be stuff could not could take too long but for a plan great meat and bones this is a good plan
pkrankow 23rd Apr 2018, 9:03 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
I like this line of thinking too
Baron11704 23rd Apr 2018, 12:17 PM edit delete reply
I'm liking this plan, this sounds good to me
Nayru9572 23rd Apr 2018, 6:30 AM edit delete reply
I definitely agree to all of the ideas suggesting we lead the robot somewhere (then trapping/sabotaging/binding it optional) and then try to escape via the tunnel.
Cuttlefish 23rd Apr 2018, 8:22 AM edit delete reply
Dumb ideas:
-Blood biopaste, plug it back in, control what the hackers print.

-lure Carpenter's monster into a room where weve somehow managed to set up the Nil erasure ritual.

-form a bunch of floating eyeballs from the biopaste to freak out the police.

-find a vent and live there from now on.
Swagner 23rd Apr 2018, 11:32 AM edit delete reply
Swagner
Oh, I like the nil one, actually. At the very least, cleantex to see if we have the necessary components. With it out of the way, we could escape through the hole it made.
lil Joshu 23rd Apr 2018, 12:57 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
That could be pretty interesting if our other plans fail...

Edit: Idea for later... a gun that fires bullets with the Nil ritual inscribed on them.
nicolas arboleya 23rd Apr 2018, 11:05 AM edit delete reply
Caius and michel will love this. Figure out where the hole the robot came from is and use the mini gun to cut a hole through the floor allowing yoy access to the exit hole directly
Fishbulb 23rd Apr 2018, 12:10 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Have Fuse check out the fire suppression systems, to see if setting them off would allow Jane, Michelle, and Caius a better chance at escaping.