Comic 959 - Scout out a safe exit

Posted on 22nd Apr 2018, 7:15 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Scout out a safe exit

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 22nd Apr 2018, 7:15 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You use your raven outside the hospital to look for an exit.

The police haven't gotten a massive crew together yet, but the blockade is building steadily. Hospital staff are working on trying to evacuate. There's a number of police at both the front and back entrance of the hospital. You're not sure what Thale or the hackers told the cops, but it must have been something impressive.

You fill in Fuse, Finch, and Liz about what's going on. Fuse messes with his computer for a moment--as well as his phone--before nodding. "I've got the surveillance up. Looks like Carpenter's lasering a way into the first floor, but I'm not sure how he's gonna-- oh." Fuse pauses. "Okay, so, the robot's got mad hops. It's on the first floor now. Looks like the cops can't see him in that hallway."

You report all this to Michelle and Caius.

"Carpenter's bustin' out a robot here," Caius starts, "in public, with cops right outside. What's he thinkin'?"

"Robot's gotta have a bomb on it," Michelle says. "None of his toys have been real good at makin' a getaway, and if the cops or the feds catch it it's a liability. If he's this cocky about paradin' that thing around in broad daylight, he's got a backup plan."

"And it's Carpenter," Caius says, "so his backup plan is prob'ly blowin' tha fucker up. Great."

"We can try to just leave," Michelle says. "I can lay down cover fire with the minigun while we book it to the hummer, but that's gonna be a helluva chase after. If the cops're makin' a big deal outta this--and it sounds like they might be--we're prob'ly lookin' at a perimeter around th' hospital. Road spikes, the whole nine maybe a block away. That's all after we slip past Carpenter somehow."

"Could we survive jumpin' out a window?," Caius asks.

"From the fourth floor, we prob'ly could," Michelle replies. "Blondie, not so much. Even if we made it, we wouldn't be doin' much runnin' after that. We could try to go up or across the way to another building, but I dunno how without Blondie pullin' some serious nonsense."

"Tha hell did they tell tha cops, anyway?," Caius asks. "Ain't like we're known--"

He looks at Michelle. "Shit," Caius exclaims. "I forgot."

"Yeah," Michelle comments. "I already had one shootout with a bunch o' cops, remember? They take that stuff pretty serious. Plus, it's Thale--he owns the guy who owns the company these printers belong to. Hacking is against the law, even if we failed at it on paper. Them bein' here's dumb but they got reason to bring the big guns."

Comments:

Guest 22nd Apr 2018, 7:41 PM edit delete reply
Is it possible to just blend in with the crowd we can't exactly fight without becoming some sort of wanted how about just playing it like we were just at the hospital when this nonsense started, and we could possible work with the police to fight the robot if we're creative about it, though either of those ideas could go bad quickly and both would require removing the armor. I don't think this can be brute forced out though
Guest 22nd Apr 2018, 7:43 PM edit delete reply
also there might be a fire escape
pkrankow 22nd Apr 2018, 8:20 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
What level we on? Does this building share a roof with the level above?

Blondie can change into scrubs and sneak out possibly.

I am positive she can survive a jump from the 4th floor. It might slow her down though.

Trash chute? Hope it is a dumpster and not a compactor. Or incinerator. We can ask.

A magic door sure would be nice right now.
chaosblitz 22nd Apr 2018, 9:25 PM edit delete reply
"A magic door sure would be nice right now."...we might not have a magic door, but we DO have blood portals! Maybe we could use command mini-jane to make a bunch of blood and spread it out on the floor for us to portal through. I mean, I know we can't command blood that isn't "ours", but mini-jane IS us, so it might work.
a_name 22nd Apr 2018, 7:49 PM edit delete reply
Idea: sneaking up behind the killer robot and shooting blood syringes up its ass. Getting enough blood *inside* the robot to prevent Carpenter from controlling it appropriately. Maybe even taking over it.
skybirds15 22nd Apr 2018, 8:38 PM edit delete reply
didn't work last time. he has a sort of bio-robo combo thing going.
Reiko Lupus 22nd Apr 2018, 7:49 PM edit delete reply
What about luring the cops inside the building so they see the robot? Let's start syncing with Michelle to shoot Blood from a window and take control of some officers. Make them enter the building and Fight the Robot. For the Cops, that thing is or Main weapon. Let's put them to use their big guns against Carpenter, and escape while they Fight against each other XD.
They may die? Yes, but this time is almost imposible to escape withotu causing some deaths. That robot is going to explode anyways if we escape, and if we don't escape... Well, if we win against it, it'll explode in our faces. A Cop risks his life to Protect the people. Sadly for them, it's time to do that XD.
GivingTree 22nd Apr 2018, 7:56 PM edit delete reply
thats.... ruthless. I would rather we didn't start taking shots at police officers.
Reiko Lupus 22nd Apr 2018, 8:09 PM edit delete reply
Shooting Blood at them. To control them XD. Nothing of bullets against common people.
pkrankow 22nd Apr 2018, 8:10 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
No.

No direct agression against police.

No.
Reiko Lupus 22nd Apr 2018, 8:37 PM edit delete reply
Why having a gun that fires darts of Blondies-Blood if we aren't going to use it? XD.
lil Joshu 22nd Apr 2018, 9:22 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
As far as how to interact with the police, call police, tell them we're trying to prevent another Tohu hack, and the person behind it is currently sending a robot with a bomb. It won't make up for the earlier shoot out, but looking out for their well-being will go a long way.
Archon 22nd Apr 2018, 7:49 PM edit delete reply
We could, uh. Make a distraction.
With all the biopaste in the hospital, should be able to make something big and nasty looking to distract the cops while we get away.
Twyll 22nd Apr 2018, 7:51 PM edit delete reply
Oooh, that could work. Make it non-violent, unlike Carpenter's monstrosities, but still *look* like it's equipped to be violent. Do you think we can figure out how to do that fast enough, based on what we already know of Carpenter's hacks?
GivingTree 22nd Apr 2018, 7:53 PM edit delete reply
The hack failed though, we don't have control of the printer even if we plug the paste back in. We only got their location out of it.
Archon 22nd Apr 2018, 8:01 PM edit delete reply
We can mix some blood with the paste, yeah?
Slapping a decent sized blob golem together with some big, dangerous looking fangs should do the trick.
Cuttlefish 22nd Apr 2018, 8:31 PM edit delete reply
If we blooded the paste cannister, and then plugged it back into the bioprinter, do you think we'd have control over whatever Thale's hackers attempted to print?
Twyll 22nd Apr 2018, 7:55 PM edit delete reply
How confident does Jane feel about her ability to draw directly from the Red, now that she's had practice with slower methods? If nothing else, we know we can trade assembled limbs to the Tradesmen for upgrades, so if we severely mess up one of our limbs in the process, we'll probably be able to get a new one.

I'm still thinking the best course of action here is to use the Red to either make a slide out of the window, or a bridge to another building from the roof of the hospital. However, going with Archon's suggestion, we could also try making a big distracting thing out of the red-- even if it doesn't even really move on its own, just chucking a mass of horrifying limbs out the window and using Jane's focus to animate it to wiggle around threateningly could cause the police to focus on it.
GivingTree 22nd Apr 2018, 8:07 PM edit delete reply
We have rats in the tunnels right? If they're capable of following instructions, try bringing one of them to the space under the hospital so we can spy whats being brought in.
Blue_Elite 22nd Apr 2018, 8:24 PM edit delete reply
At this point, I say let's use the tunnel Carpenter used by going through the hole(s) he's making. That, of course, means we'll have to confront whatever he's sending at us. If we can blind it (a solid strategy in the past), we can try to then go out the hole it'll make to get to us.
Aside from the typical shoot-out-the-eyes route, I'd like to try blooding a bedsheet as a backup. Cover the eyes and go in through the hole.

Since we won't be able to take the hummer and have to make a run for it, my other suggestion would be to try moving upper-body mass muscle down to Jane's legs. If we can keep pace with Caius and Michelle (and assuming distracting the Carpenter bot works) we might be able to escape.
Quick EDIT: If Carpenter took Thale's tunnels, I'm assuming since Howler's apartment is in the lower-tiers we'd have this section of the tunnels mapped out if we Cleantex ourselves.
GivingTree 22nd Apr 2018, 8:37 PM edit delete reply
The tunnels are definitely a very convenient escape route, although we'd have to worry about whatever vehicles (trains most likely) are down there running us over. We have access to a map of the tunnels as long as we cleantex.
Wote 22nd Apr 2018, 8:57 PM edit delete reply
I think the tunnels are the best plan. Carpenter/Thale is unlikely to expect us to run toward the murderbot and if we can get past it, odds are good we can make it to safety before a back-up plan can be set down.
Cuttlefish 22nd Apr 2018, 8:29 PM edit delete reply
Yeah we could build a biomonster. Even if we just blppd the cannister and plug it back into the bioprinter, would the hackers then build us a monstrosity to use in their attempt to kill us?

Aside from that, we should try sending the police an image of Carpenter's monster. We have camera feed, Fuse might be able to send that to the police. That could get then to focus efforts on Carpenter.
Yuki 22nd Apr 2018, 8:44 PM edit delete reply
Since it's clear the robot has a bomb in it, the police need to be aware of it before they risk charging in and getting caught in the conflagration.

Sneaking out among the crowd is highly risky, since chances are they are being funneled through the front and rear exits right where the police are. Even if they're looking for someone of Michelle's description, but with a huge scar. There's no doubt that there are going to be people under Thale's thrall gathered around watching out for that. All it takes is one to spot even one of the trio for them to get us in the cross hairs.

It looks like the best blind spot is the way the robot came in. If we could misdirect it, make it think we're hunkering down ready for a fight at the printer while we're in another section of the hospital, we can sneak past it and get out through the holes it made.
lil Joshu 22nd Apr 2018, 9:25 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
I second telling the cops about it. Maybe that'd go aways towards rebuilding the trust we damaged from the shoot out. Also warn them that the Tohu hackers have moles in their organization, which is why we've been avoiding them thus far (and will continue to do so), and that we'll talk with them more directly once the Tohu hackers and related criminal organization is all rounded up, and that everything we've been doing falls under self defense. Oh, and also tell them that anyone whoever their moles are have extensive connections with Save the Queen dealers (not exactly the truth, but close enough to start suspicion in the right direction.)
Swagner 22nd Apr 2018, 8:45 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Maybe Caius & Michelle should jump, and then catch Blondie? Even if she breaks something, we've fixed worse. Or pull a rope out of the red, and climb down on that?
Heroshima 22nd Apr 2018, 8:57 PM edit delete reply
Heroshima
If we can escape the building, will the machine go specifically after us? If it does, that means we can lead it someplace safe where we can disable/detonate it.
Crestlinger 22nd Apr 2018, 9:01 PM edit delete reply
Can't baffle em with brilliance, blind em with BS. Get the cops attention, say you're with Southern Pass (this Michelle is one of the copies about, oh look no scar) and that there's a berserk robot with a bomb in the building. You've tracked it currently to the first floor, but had to evacuate the clients who hired you for security as top priority.
psychoshen 22nd Apr 2018, 9:12 PM edit delete reply
psychoshen
The hospital has to be pretty big right? I'm assuming there's multiple staircases, perhaps we can wait by one and draw the monster to us and hightail it the safe way through the tunnel in came in from. If the cops didn't see it come in, we should be safe to use this path to get out. Even if there are more monsters lying in wait, it will be easier to fight out of the view of the police.
lil Joshu 22nd Apr 2018, 9:15 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
So... time to try blood portaling?