Comic 949 - Suggest Southden

Posted on 19th Apr 2018, 5:39 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Suggest Southden

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 19th Apr 2018, 5:39 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
After giving it some thought, you suggest Southden. You have paperwork now, which means you can probably trade some of your money from here for money from there. You're in contact with the Deck, and could probably get a hookup for a really good computer... or even an unused apartment, or somewhere else private, to do the hacking from. That way, you'll have the additional power to do the tracing with and if you get tracked back, it'll be to somewhere outside the country. If the Deck want something in exchange for that kind of help, Fuse could always do some hacking on the side for them--worst case scenario, you could probably just buy a computer and rent a place in Southden the old fashioned way.

Further, if you really wanted to up the ante, Fuse and Dr. Finch could both head to Southden. Dr. Finch won't be joining in any fights at the bioprinter site, obviously, so you could sync him and Fuse. Two computers, two people with Fuse's hacking skills.

"That's... a damn good idea," Fuse says. "Yeah, if we could get all that, that'd be perfect."

Dr. Finch considers it for a moment. "I'm... afraid I'm not well versed in timezone math, but such a plan may also require waiting until tomorrow. It's approaching night here, which means scarcely anyone will be open or active in Southden."

"Might be for the best," Michelle says. "Gives us time to rest up and get some smaller stuff knocked out. Ain't like Thale's gonna kick his whole plan off tomorrow morning, anyway."

Everybody stops, just... blankly staring at Michelle.

"Ya just jinxed the hell outta us," Caius laughs.

"Oh, come on!," Michelle retorts. "I'm serious, we gotta have at least a couple days of wiggle room. We keep talkin' like he could do this stuff any minute now."

Fuse shakes his head, trying not to grin. "You've doomed us. Doomed us all."

"So, constructs..." Dr. Finch begins, completely changing the subject. "I've given some thought to the upgrade ritual. I'm curious as to whether diversifying the strengths of your handcrafted homonculi before trading them would produce a better final product--sharing each of those strengths--or if their advantages would somewhat... even out. For instance, building all of the trade-ins for sheer brute force may produce one with incredible strength, while spreading different goals between them may create something... well, rather less impressive at any specific function."

"We prob'ly don't need it to be hyper focused," Michelle comments.

Elizabeth speaks up. "If the strengths and flaws do stack instead of simply blending into a composite, then building a wide variety of constructs would make no difference. If one golem is fast but fragile and another is slow but more durable, your final product would likely be a golem with both attributes slightly above the baseline... which you would achieve with perfectly balanced offerings, as well. Unless the tradesmen discard the flaws of the offerings entirely and simply take the best advantages, it would be additional effort for no gain. That's working under the assumption that their math is that simple, and doesn't have some esoteric scaling method."

Everybody stops... and stares at Elizabeth. She doesn't flinch.

"I possess the mental data of an accountant. Not an exceptional accountant, but I'm going to utilize it when the rare opportunity presents itself regardless."

"I'm mostly just worried about confusing the tradesmen," Fuse says. "If we give 'em golems with totally different purposes, we might get like... a turkey sandwich back. We might wanna keep it simple."

Comments:

Blue_Elite 19th Apr 2018, 6:42 PM edit delete reply
Oh Elizabeth we love you unconditionally.
I feel like you're selling the turkey sandwich deal short Fuse. It'd be an UPGRADED turkey sandwich. Also probably one as big as the total mass of the golems we trade in.
We would in essence, get a meal out of trading in golems. We'd have a trade going out of golem building!

But silliness aside, looks like the Southden plan is go. If we can't do anything more about that tonight, we should get battle ready. If we're not going to get armour/shield to save funds, we should find a large chunk of debris in Ilworth we can lung around as mobile cover. Also any makeshift bombs/grenades we can make in preparation would be good. We don't have any level left so I'm not certain what materials we've got to make a molotov or like a blood-bandage grenade or something.

Otherwise it seems we're all exhausted from doing magic today. Might want to turn in early. Jane can use whatever juice she has left from tonight doing either golem craft or working on Elizabeth.

EDIT: Don't forgot to bring back the Rat-Pac from Thale's tunnels Jane.
Twyll 19th Apr 2018, 7:00 PM edit delete reply
I do think it would be a good idea to get some body armor, shields, that sort of thing. Grenades would also be nice; maybe we can *make* some out of bone shards and Red-meat.

I'd also like to try trading a few things with the Tradesmen, hopefully in a low-energy sort of way-- a set of blooded bandages and one of unblooded bandages, to see if they can give us back blooded upgrades or not and if they can maybe give us stronger/fancier bandage material; and maybe some golems. We can test the specialized versus unspecialized groups, and see what that gets us. We might also just trade some entirely random things-- extra candles, food, clothing. As long as it isn't too taxing to do, of course.

If we could have Liz help us with the trading rituals, maybe she can start noting down what we get in response for the trades and help us start to deduce trends and maybe get better at predicting what offers would get what results.
Tych 19th Apr 2018, 11:22 PM edit delete reply
the turkey sandwich could be made of Jane's Golem meat
Swagner 19th Apr 2018, 6:55 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Thank Elizabeth for that succinct explanation. We may as well start with the "identical golems" route, just to get the quickest result. Perhaps she'd know how best to handle the international money situation, too, if the deck won't take trade. Are we dealing in paper cash, or wire transfers?

While we might want to wait until it's daytime in southden to get an apartment, we could buy the computer here and then just take it there, if that saves effort.
Blue_Elite 19th Apr 2018, 8:20 PM edit delete reply
" 'Speakin' of money,' Caius says, 'she left us a pretty substantial amount of cash. ...' "
"... she hands Caius a stack of local currency..."
It appears most, if not all of our money, is physical cash (both localbucks and ladybucks).
PurpleKetchup 19th Apr 2018, 8:34 PM edit delete reply
There's too much stuff to do to get jinxed right now, Michelle !
Never mind Carpenter having his own agenda and doing things a lot more subtly than Thale - we're no closer to bringing him down either, which we'll have to.

Need to find a way to keep an eye on him... Anyway, we should inform Jury & Lydia before starting any operation - just in case.
Warp 20th Apr 2018, 9:04 AM edit delete reply
Arvin Carpenter's agenda is known to be at least two things: Survive Patton Thale's God Complex, Survive Nil's Influence, Enact Arvin Carpenter's Insomnia Enhanced God Complex.
pkrankow 19th Apr 2018, 8:35 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Buy a sewing machine. A good power machine.

Buy firehose... or steal one. Buy canvass and quilting materials. Build a suit of blooded cloth armor with the firehose as the body.

Build at least 2 more. Focus on strength and durability for the first. Speed and flexibility without loosing the strength and durability for the next few. If these are not good enough trade with tradesmen.
pkrankow 19th Apr 2018, 8:39 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Maybe we should rig a couple mirrors so Edison's room can see the TV and see if she will cooperate.