Comic 937 - Check on Tesla and Faraday

Posted on 15th Apr 2018, 2:50 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Check on Tesla and Faraday

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 15th Apr 2018, 2:50 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You inform Caius and Fuse about the sandwiches, and you head to Bunker E to check on the ghosts.

Tesla jumps a little when you first walk in, backing away from the door... but seems to calm down when she realizes it's you.

"'Ello," says Faraday, her voice still sort of... echoing.

You inform them that you are making progress, and your group has started to work out an idea of how to approach the situation. Fire, water, whatever materials the bunker walls are made of, and... tin foil, maybe, all act "solid" to imprints. You might be able to find a way to use one of those to sort of... squeeze Faraday back to normal.

"That... all sounds a bit scary," Tesla comments.

You tell her that it's still a work in progress, for sure. You're not going to try anything until you're sure that it won't hurt Faraday. Any of those methods would take a substantial amount of preparation and rigging things up throughout the bunker, so you won't just be jumping recklessly into anything.

...Though, saying that out loud makes you reconsider what the tradesmen said.

"You have what you need to return Faraday to a shape that she is satisfied and familiar with."

Having to buy truckloads of tin foil, or cobble together a way to produce electromagnetic shielding on the bunker walls, or... it's all really resource intensive, running counter to what they suggested.

...You're not really sure what they had in mind, though.

"Tesla can occupy the same space as Faraday now that one is an atmosphere-level imprint rather than local, but I wonder if they could pass through each other back when they were the same size..."

"i c a n n o t s a y f o r s u r e
(I'd be tipping the balance too much.)

h o w e v e r

y o u h a v e a s t r o n g

s e n s e o f s e l f a n d

y o u u n d e r s t a n d t h e

e l e c t r i c i t y o f t h e

b r a i n p r e t t y w e l l .

i f y o u w e r e i n h e r

s i t u a t i o n i t h i n k y o u

c o u l d p u l l y o u r s e l f

t o g e t h e r ."




...The wheels are turning, but it's not quite coming together. You're close, though--you can feel it. Creating a makeshift, collapsing cage with a particular lining could pull off what you're aiming for, but Tesla's right to be worried--you wouldn't have much control over the process, and it could be painful for Faraday... or not work right at all.

"I'm sure you'll find a way," Faraday affirms. "You've gotten this far, haven't you? Thank you... for everything. It means a great deal to my sister and I."

Tesla nods.

You want to give at least Tesla a hug, but you're not sure if her body would do to you what Edison's did.

Comments:

LytharWolfe 15th Apr 2018, 3:21 PM edit delete reply
LytharWolfe
Very interesting interjection there.

We've been a disembodied being before, as the blood, when Jane was dying, and we managed to return ourselves to our physical body. Maybe we can teach Faraday how to do that?
Wote 15th Apr 2018, 3:50 PM edit delete reply
I think this might be the best course of action.

Faraday can create manifestations: that's how she communicated with us when we first sent Finch and Caius into Bunker E. Faraday can concentrate enough to communicate through a single point: that's how we're talking to her.

So, if we think of it the way the Library suggested we think of it—namely, what we'd do if we were in Faraday's shoes—it seems to me like the logical conclusion is "we'd find a way to make a new body and then squeeze our perception into it". Not all of our being—just the perception.

Faraday's problem might not be that she can't make a new body. Faraday's problem might be that she still thinks she needs to just be the body and not the body plus other stuff.

So, maybe we should explain to Faraday how the relationship between Jane and her Red works, and see if that gives our ghost friend some ideas.
lil Joshu 15th Apr 2018, 3:56 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
So... we need to figure out how to blood her?
fellow 15th Apr 2018, 4:09 PM edit delete reply
fellow
I've suggested blooding the entire bunker before, but that would involve more blood than we have. Maybe we could astrally project some blood, and then try to make that expand like faraday has?
Wote 15th Apr 2018, 4:14 PM edit delete reply
No, we don't need to blood her.

I'm saying that just like we can compress our awareness down to a single body without losing the ability to draw from our Red, Faraday might be able to do something similar: keep most of her power diffuse within the bunker, but condense a part of it down to be her body and a node of perception.

In other words, instead of assuming Faraday needs to exist in a single body, we should consider the possibility that she can work like Jane works. After all, there's no reason to assume that's not the case, right?
Leafia_Barrett 15th Apr 2018, 3:29 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Let's take a look at the astral projection spell. Maybe we can help her... shit I dunno. Help use our body as a conduit for her to stabilize herself or something.
Archon 15th Apr 2018, 3:31 PM edit delete reply
Was pondering this.
Were our blood skills sufficient, creating a suitable vessel for Faraday should be possible.
But how would we go about connecting her to the body?
Someoneyoudontknow 15th Apr 2018, 3:53 PM edit delete reply
Lighting rods
:P
lil Joshu 15th Apr 2018, 3:58 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
That... makes more sense... use blood powers to make a golem that looks like her, then lightning rod her into it She fries electronics, but lightning rods are designed to absorb it... not an actual lightning rod though, we can just shunt from the electrical system in the monitor into a golem, tell her "have at", and boom, she's back in. And not a ghost either, but with a body (and not a super-ghost like her sister.)
Archon 15th Apr 2018, 5:50 PM edit delete reply
If the homunculus route is chosen, it may take a while to put into practice. Our skill has been satisfactory for our needs so far, but creating a vessel suitable for sentient life should be given a great deal more care than the usual.
Blue_Elite 15th Apr 2018, 4:31 PM edit delete reply
Science DEMANDS that we try to hug a ghost! But ask Tesla if we may first and also explain she might have to step back if we're unable to pull ourselves off.

Ask Faraday if she's able to create those partial body manifestations we saw originally with Dr. Finch and Caius. Ask how the ghosts were doing partial, voluntary manifestations before Experiment Odin locked them into uncontrollable permanent full body manifestations (maybe even ask about Experiment Odin, if it's not too traumatic).

If Faraday can create her own full body manifestation that's the first step as we're unable to create ghost vessels. Then try and guide her into pushing/pulling herself into that ghost vessel; much like we had to pull ourselves into our own meat body we had dissociated from.
Once her consciousness has that proverbial hook inside the manifestation, it might work as a grip to use to pull the rest of her all the way into the full body manifestation. With that, if she's able to perceive limits, that might allow her to concentrate her, "self," down to her comfortable size and the rest of her will just be the ambient energy all around.
Wote 15th Apr 2018, 4:52 PM edit delete reply
Seconding trying to hug the ghost if she's okay with a hug.
Guest 15th Apr 2018, 5:57 PM edit delete reply
Maybe we have already blooded Faraday
... If someone/something has a brain it requires less blood plus we're already "in" Faraday... See if the blood can already directly interact with Faraday s field?