Comic 934 - Talk to Dr. Finch

Posted on 14th Apr 2018, 2:48 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Talk to Dr. Finch

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 14th Apr 2018, 2:48 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
"I'm gonna go test this out on some of the junk in Ilworth," Michelle says.

"Well, if you're going to Ilworth--" Fuse begins as he starts to grab some of the ritual items, "--we might as well hash out how we're gonna do the car thing."

You wander in as Michelle and Fuse are on their way out.

Dr. Finch shakes his head. "I suppose I should accompany them, just to ensure this doesn't go awry somehow..."

You stop Dr. Finch long enough to tell him about what Caius was thinking.

"...Hmm. Hm hm." Dr. Finch considers it for a moment. "That's not... a terrible premise. Faraday is contained within Bunker E. The girls were unable to pass through the walls of their cells, nor slip out of their canisters, which suggests something inherent to the material--we know quite well that Edison could phase through normal walls. Water and fire can't seem to occupy the same space as the ghosts... hmm hm hm."

He adjusts his glasses. "Shrinking the bunker itself to condense Faraday is out of the question, of course. Lining the walls of each room with some sort of... retractable... electromagnetic shielding may be problematic as well. As Caius pointed out, lighting the whole bunker on fire--or flooding it--are similarly bad ideas but... but but but, I do wonder if a different energy-type containment approach may be viable. Tesla can occupy the same space as Faraday now that one is an atmosphere-level imprint rather than local, but I wonder if they could pass through each other back when they were the same size..."

His idle ranting slowly turns into mumbling to himself, and Dr. Finch walks out after the others. Elizabeth doesn't say anything, but also follows the parade to Ilworth.

You eye the arcane symbols on the floor, wondering what would happen if you performed the improvement ritual on meat golems. ...And you remember that the tradesmen specifically asked for the one you'd made prior. Did they want it for its personal value to you? Did they want it as a bartering chip for someone else's deal? ...Or did they just want a closer look at it themselves?

You have no idea what the outcome would be, but you suspect that--since the tradesmen have been in contact with a golem you made already--they might actually be able to improve it if you did offer a number of them. ...As incredibly strange as that might turn out.

Comments:

Guest 14th Apr 2018, 3:13 PM edit delete reply
Place the codes in the circle, get better bunker code?
pkrankow 14th Apr 2018, 3:20 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
This is worth a try.

Grab a copy of each keycard and go for it.
Portal In Time 14th Apr 2018, 4:00 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Woah, that'd actually be pretty neat if it works.
Claudio 14th Apr 2018, 4:04 PM edit delete reply
I have been reading the past episodes and I noticed one detail about the federal facility where Dr. Finch was taken and underwent surgery after the bacterial outbreak at his home. It was described in episode 394 as:



"No, man," Caius shakes his head. "*Underground*. Like, not on a tier. Tier negative one. Below tha friggen city. They got a straight up *bunker*."

A few moments pass as it all sinks in. Michelle continues.

"It's just on the edge of the city, looks like an old garage or somethin'. If it wasn't for the bird, we'd have never noticed it. Whole thing's just a front--there's like... an elevator or somethin' inside the building. We watched five trucks go in and none came back out, but it only looked big enough for *two* trucks if you squeezed 'em in
enough."



That sounds a lot like our own bunker. Perhaps that is one of the remaining Zone Fifty facilities, still operated by the federals? Would we be able to enter it from our portal? Would they be able to enter our bunkers from their own? Shall we risk trying random codes? In general, are any of the remaining accessible bunkers dangerous?
Leafia_Barrett 14th Apr 2018, 4:51 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Okay, now this I have to see. I genuinely want to know what the Tradesmen make of the keycards.
Archon 14th Apr 2018, 3:19 PM edit delete reply
I would be interested in giving the trade a go, once we get our Illworth workshop up and running.
Going to want to make our best work yet for the trade, make sure we get the most out of it.
pkrankow 14th Apr 2018, 3:24 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
If writing out everything we know about the bunkers under cleantex will really provide nothing then we will need some type of supercomputer. Cluster computing is old tech now, been around for a while. Energy is effectively free. Get some good machines together and fire them up. Ask the PJ's to mind them if we need, they can strip them for parts later as part of the deal.
Blue_Elite 14th Apr 2018, 3:47 PM edit delete reply
I was thinking we could get a 5-finger discount by using the tunnels to raid Howler's apartment again and disassemble and take away his supercomputer (not like he's using it now anyway).
G.H.E. 14th Apr 2018, 5:00 PM edit delete reply
Unless they had the same idea and already retrieved it for their own use.
lil Joshu 14th Apr 2018, 6:19 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Worth checking out.
pkrankow 14th Apr 2018, 8:06 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Heck yea. We need to check it for both software and hardware tracers. I doubt either will work properly on Mars...
Cuttlefish 14th Apr 2018, 3:40 PM edit delete reply
It's a pity we need multiple. It'd be great to get an upgrade to our bioprinter.
fellow 14th Apr 2018, 3:57 PM edit delete reply
fellow
If we stop thayle's bioprinter operation, maybe we'll be able to accuire some of his bioprinters on the cheap.
lil Joshu 14th Apr 2018, 6:19 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
I wonder what a dozen of Thale's bioprinters would give us?
undeadDreamer 14th Apr 2018, 3:57 PM edit delete reply
We should try the flesh golem improvement thing.
Portal In Time 14th Apr 2018, 4:04 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Let's offer all those fingers we have lying around, and pull out some golems after we see what happens to the fingers.

Let's blood the fingers first, to see if we can control whatever we get out of the trading ritual afterwards.
pkrankow 14th Apr 2018, 8:08 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Yes, but make them with bandage too. Even lazy we need to be real. So phone, bandages, etc, or fingers for practice then add them to the pile. Maybe in a few days and do something each day to set this up.
Memo 14th Apr 2018, 4:07 PM edit delete reply
Memo
Let's do the trade with the key cards.
Also, I can hardly wait for Michelle to test her new toy.
Leafia_Barrett 14th Apr 2018, 4:08 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Offer a few golems, plus the fingers.
Crestlinger 14th Apr 2018, 4:29 PM edit delete reply
For the golems design one each with a specific function, like one with enhanced optics, one with improved dexterity (extra finger use?), another with more mobility, lifting strength, etc. then combine the lot
PurpleKetchup 14th Apr 2018, 4:57 PM edit delete reply
Re:tradesmen, there's a lot of potential there... Now that Jane traded a quarter of her blood for information, would they be able to improve on that too ?
Like, use 10 vials of Jane's blood in the fuse-ritual, get... what exactly ? Something better ? Something different ?
If it creates a different fragment of original Red, it's going to hate Jane, which makes it a terrible idea.
Probably too dangerous to try.
lil Joshu 14th Apr 2018, 6:54 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
I have to wonder if there are things they won't upgrade?
Alienrat 14th Apr 2018, 7:09 PM edit delete reply
Since we seem to still think of the golem as ours, despite trading it to the tradesmen. Can we still sense it? Or perceive through it? How about the blood we gave them, can we still sense that?