Comic 901 - Bring Dr. Finch into the library

Posted on 6th Apr 2018, 8:38 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Bring Dr. Finch into the library

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (6 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 6th Apr 2018, 8:38 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You send a mental message to everyone, letting them know what's going on. Even though you're inside the library, it... seems to send out okay.

You step back out of the library.

"I dunno what that was, but it sounded goofy as hell," Caius chuckles.

Dr. Finch is fighting back a smile of his own. "It... it did sound quite wrong. If you were attempting to update everyone, I would sincerely suggest trying again."

You try again, outside the library. You mentally tell everyone what you've seen of the library so far.

Dr. Finch nods. "It worked just fine that time. The library seems to interfere with the blood's signals, at least from inside to out."

You ask Dr. Finch to step inside.

You both walk into the library. He looks around, eyes wide, before turning to you.

"This place..." he begins, his voice feeling like water that's trying not to slosh around too much. "Surely it's larger inside than it--"

He realizes it, too. Dr. Finch stops, squinting, glancing aside. "...Hello. Yes. Yes? Words words words. Are... are you experiencing that?"

You're not... hearing him. You're reading his words, in your brain, and feeling his voice and tone. The liquid sensation becomes more disturbed as he becomes more stressed, like small waves crashing up against you. His text in your mind is a very proper serif font with slight age to it, a nice off-white--maybe hints of a teal? His words dull slightly, for an instant, every four to five seconds.

You confirm, verbally, that you're experiencing it too. Well, you try to confirm verbally--it sounds like nothing, but it feels a bit pillowy and reads a soft, pink font.

"It's... it it it's almost like some manner of synesthesia, but not precisely," Dr. Finch states. "Our senses are having their wires crossed somehow."

He pauses. He looks upward nervously.

"There aren't any lights," he says. "...But but but no darkness, either. Shadows, but the light never terminates. ..Yet I can't see the ceiling."

He shuts his eyes. "...I can still s-- oh, that is very unnerving."

You try it, as well. You shut your eyes. You can still see perfectly fine. Dr. Finch continues speaking... but you can't make out what he's saying. The words and the sensation are dulled. That's what was happening every four to five seconds--you were blinking. You open your eyes, and you can "hear" him just fine.

"...not intended for us," you catch the last of what he was saying. "Whatever is attempting to draw us here is... is is is maybe trying to accommodate our human senses but their adjustments are off. We know what the inside of this library looks like but we really don't, we're... absorbing sight through some other combination of senses. We may as well claim we... that we know what the library smells like."

Dr. Finch shudders, shaking his hands out a bit.

You take a closer look at the shelves. Each of the books are clearly titled on their spines, though... many appear to be in a language you've never seen before. Those that are in your language have every strange names--books like Living Without Skin, or Which Stars Aren't?, or I Was God Of My Own Pocket Universe Very Briefly And During That Moment I Manifested This Book So I Wouldn't Forget About It Afterward, Since That Seems Like The Sort Of Thing You Don't Get To Keep Memories Of. Not Sure Why I Made A Book Instead Of, Say, A Note Or A Photograph, It Was A Very Spur Of The Moment Decision And I'm Sure You Understand."

(The print is very small so it all fits).


The longer you stare at the books, however, the more of an... ominous tension you begin to feel, rising in your taste buds. Even thinking about taking one of these books off the shelves feels like a very incorrect decision.

You are not here for these books.

These books are not here for you.

You are here for a different book.

A different book is here for you.


"p l e a s e d o n ' t

u p s e t t h e l i b r a r i a n s"

Dr. Finch says.

Audibly.

Clearly.

Out loud, in sound.

You turn to look at him. He seems completely unaware that he said it, presently touching his fingers together and shaking his head. Now you're not sure if he actually did say it at all.

Comments:

Xylas_Incarnum 6th Apr 2018, 9:13 PM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
let's.... let's go outside the library for a bit. we need to go outside and talk with sound, this place is messing with us a bit too much right now.

Also, this library seems to be qualified to be THE Library, if that makes any sense. and is definitely much, much bigger on the inside than the brick and mortar outside would allow.
skybirds15 6th Apr 2018, 9:13 PM edit delete reply
Get it, get out. The number of reasons to not stay here messing about is rising by the second.

Also, don't upset the librarians apparently. If they are those tradesmen guys that always need something in return, or some other magic group thing, probably shouldn't stay here where our existence is probably threatened every moment by them. Probably shouldn't try any blood tricks while we're here either.
Gitaxian 6th Apr 2018, 9:14 PM edit delete reply
Go straight for the book we're here for. Do not mess with anything else here, in case that upsets the librarians.
undeadDreamer 6th Apr 2018, 9:16 PM edit delete reply
Hello? We know it wasn't him talking. Who are you?
Macheman7 6th Apr 2018, 9:22 PM edit delete reply
Macheman7
Set fire to the library
Don't do that. Don't even think about it. Attempt to express that you wish the find Geoangular Control, and would like to speak to the librarian if possible. Do so mentally, then repeat it verbally.
Tych 6th Apr 2018, 9:22 PM edit delete reply
I think we need to talk to a librarian or possible get to a help desk so we can find the book we are looking for
Akasha 6th Apr 2018, 9:22 PM edit delete reply
Akasha
Well, you heard the library. Let's find the book that's meant for us and check it out. Then we can just get a mosey on outta there.

Also, don't mess with any other books unless they're also explicitly for us as well.
Portal In Time 6th Apr 2018, 9:23 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Let's try communicating with Finch through The Blood NOW. And then try dissociating through the blood, too.

I'd also like to poke him, and see if he perceived it correctly.
wierdweblurker 6th Apr 2018, 9:24 PM edit delete reply
wierdweblurker
Well, then. We wouldn't want to upset the librarians. Ask Doctor Finch/the Library what the rules are. It may be powerful, but thus far it seems neutral. We may be able to borrow other texts from it in the future.
Blue_Elite 6th Apr 2018, 9:27 PM edit delete reply
Yep, just ask for the book meant for us, the book we're meant for; get it, check out if necessary, and get out of there.
I'm starting to fear even THINKING incorrectly here will get us in trouble. We may even want Dr. Finch to go back outside at this point, just to make sure his highly inquisitive mind doesn't accidentally think the wrong thing and get him or us in trouble.
Azith 6th Apr 2018, 9:46 PM edit delete reply
It seems we've found an entrance to the Wander's Library. We DO NOT want to upset the Librarians, or anyone else in here. Also, do not say anything resembling a name or nickname. It might... Stick. For reference: http://wanderers-library.wikidot.com/orientation
Leafia_Barrett 6th Apr 2018, 9:50 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Yeah, let's, um. Let's not stick around. Get the book and get the fuck out of dodge.
psychoshen 6th Apr 2018, 9:55 PM edit delete reply
psychoshen
I'd like to see if Jane can read a title of a nearby book. I'm not sure how it works here, but from what I understand, people can't read in dreams (there's no language). You get the feeling of what you read, but there's no recognizable letters or words. This should be a fairly safe thing to do in a library, and if we can't read, I'd say this is a dream and maybe a trap of some sort.

EDIT:
We should see about contacting our Red and ask her if she sees what we see.
LytharWolfe 6th Apr 2018, 9:57 PM edit delete reply
LytharWolfe
Let's look at a few of the books around the door, let's see if there's a method to how they're sorted so we can find Geoangular Control better.
Madd 6th Apr 2018, 10:01 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Head to the book meant for us and the book we are meant for.

Try to communicate with the librarians without upsetting them, we need to know the rules of checking out the book for us.
Frission 6th Apr 2018, 10:05 PM edit delete reply
Frission
We've waffled long enough on getting this book. Let's not leave now. Just, go find Geoangular Control. Maybe see if it has a sister book or -- oh this is a novel idea. Maybe wonder aloud if the library has any other recommendations for us as well. °-°
Wote 6th Apr 2018, 10:14 PM edit delete reply
Oooo... I like this idea. Definitely should see if there are any other recommendations.
Necryel 6th Apr 2018, 10:16 PM edit delete reply
Agreed, upsetting the other-worldly supernatural librarians would be VERY bad.