Comic 900 - Pretend to lose interest

Posted on 6th Apr 2018, 7:32 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Pretend to lose interest

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 6th Apr 2018, 7:32 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You loudly declare that the library appears closed, and it looks like you'll just have to go home.

You turn, and start to walk way--

when you hear a low buzzing sound.

Just a soft... hum. It's faint, but you definitely hear it. It sounds like it's coming from... well, everywhere, like the sound is emanating from the pavement.

"Do you both hear that?," Dr. Finch asks quietly.

"Yeah," Caius replies. You nod.


You decide to take a look into the library. A small one. Just a quick peek, and you'll figure out what to do from there. You tell Caius and Dr. Finch to wait--one of them may end up needing to stay with the motorcycle, you haven't really committed yet.


You walk up the steps... and open the door to the library.


image


It feels like it goes on forever, shelves of books stretching on in every direction. Just stepping inside, you feel... off, somehow. You can't really describe it, but your senses feel slightly askew--you don't feel like you're seeing things correctly. ...Or hearing them. You're not hearing much at all, actually.

The library is completely silent. Once you move through the doorway, even with the door still open, you can't even hear the outside. All you hear is your own breathing.

You move back outside. Everything's back to normal. Caius and Dr. Finch look at you with concern and curiosity. You can hear traffic, birds, and everything else.

You shove your head back through the entrance. Silence. Weirdness.

Comments:

Blue_Elite 6th Apr 2018, 7:54 PM edit delete reply
SO... note that polished, seemingly glass floor appears to be completely pristine and not a crack or mark anywhere else inside that library. There are definitely dimensional shenanigans going on here.
While I don't think this is a trap (directly anyway), we're definitely not in Kansas Southden anymore when we're inside.

Bring everyone (including Fuse, Michelle and Elizabeth) up-to-speed just incase weirdness somehow cuts us off from them.
Then I'd say bring Dr. Finch in and have Caius stand watch outside; he's both able to actually protect the motorcycle in case of attempted theft AND the best one to try to force/break the door open in case it becomes magically locked.
Also I'd like us to bring some blankets so we don't have to touch Geoangular Control directly when/if we find it (or if there are some driving gloves on the motorcycle use those).
Necryel 6th Apr 2018, 7:55 PM edit delete reply
Great, the library can hear us, is reacting, and is messing with our perception.

"Facing vastly superior numbers, small chance of success, likelihood of death.....What are we waiting for?" ~ Gimmley, The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkein.
fellow 6th Apr 2018, 7:58 PM edit delete reply
fellow
I wonder if it'd be wise to break this silence. Your usual librarian does not like noise and whoever librarians this place, if anyone, is likely someone to stay on the good side of.
undeadDreamer 6th Apr 2018, 7:59 PM edit delete reply
Do we have any blood containers with us? We can't see very well at all through most of them but we could check if the blood can see what we see.
Rix 6th Apr 2018, 8:01 PM edit delete reply
Can we still feel the others while inside or are we cut off?
Crestlinger 6th Apr 2018, 8:03 PM edit delete reply
Great. The whole library Is the book isn't it? Or at least fallen under its thrall.
Madd 6th Apr 2018, 8:10 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Bring in Finch with us, and see his reaction.
Then we can go look around for a bit until we find reception, if there is a reception, but first we should inspect the shelves.
Leafia_Barrett 6th Apr 2018, 8:40 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Bring the others in. Look for a librarian of some kind.
Frission 6th Apr 2018, 9:53 PM edit delete reply
Frission
Man, so this is like a scene from 2001 when all you can hear is the astronaut breathing in his suit. :o