Comic 870 - Check on Fuse

Posted on 31st Mar 2018, 2:06 AM in Shipping Off to Southden
Check on Fuse

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4.5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 31st Mar 2018, 2:06 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
You mentally contact Macland. You tell him that everything's good, the threat's taken care of, and you ask if his drivers can be... discreet.

"Hell yeah they can," Macland replies. "They better be, for what I'm paying them. Let me know if you want this stuff dropped off in the city, or somewhere out of town--I can find any old storage in driving distance if you just need it stashed for a while."

Caius peeks out of the crate... and sighs.

"I'll stick around for a bit," he says. "Help tha driver clean up, keep an eye out for any more problems, all that. ...It'll be like old times. I'll call somebody when I'm ready t' roll back in."

You and Michelle lead Ms. Voclain back into Bunker B, then have Dr. Finch link it back to the city so you can all file back into Bunker A.

You all walk in and you're juuust about to check on Fuse, when--

he walks in, looking extremely agitated.

"We were worried about you, young man," Michelle scolds playfully.

"Yeah, I imagine," Fuse replies. "Lydia's a crazy person, Brother Hope's gone off the deep end, I feel like the whole world's gone mad. How did things turn out with-- hoooly shit." He stops, just now noticing Ms. Voclain behind Michelle. "I am... so sorry."

"Don't be," Voclain says. She's still very monotone, but it sounds more sullen.

"Tell me you at least learned somethin'," Michelle says.

Fuse nods, taking a moment to breathe. "Yeah. Yeah, I did. Harold Hope's got a direct line to Thale--like, has the dude's phone number. That's how I knew Thale was about to wake up... the good reverend decided to dial him up. Lydia tried to stop him, almost got us both killed."

"What the hell were y'all even doin' there? Where the hell WERE you?," Michelle asks.

"Hope's church," Fuse answers. "I kept trying to talk Lydia down--instead I just kept getting dragged deeper and deeper into it. Ol' Douglas Gargan is part of Hope's deacon board. He's not just friends with Patton Thale--he knew Patton's dad. He knew Patton's GRAND dad."

"Desmond Thale," Ms. Voclain mumbles.

Fuse continues. "They're planning something huge. They're making bioprinters... like a ton of them, way more than the city needs. I have no idea why. Lydia's got some theories she's still working on, but... something big's going on. We managed to get out of there alright, at least--Lydia's a maniac, but she's scrappy."

Michelle grins. "Fuse, I think y'might like her."

Fuse gives her a very stern glare. "I think she needs level--like, a prescription to it. She has no chill."

Fuse storms off into the lab, and Michelle follows.



You turn to Ms. Voclain.

"Don't expect me to thank you," she says dryly. "I never asked you to do this. You risked your entire operation."

You hug her. Tightly.

She doesn't make an effort to hug you back... but when you stop hugging her, you see a tear trailing down her cheek.

You tell her that you're going to figure out everything out of place in her body, and you're going to fix it. ...And you're going to replace her arm.

"Schedule it for later," Ms. Voclain says. "I'm tired. I just want to sleep."

Comments:

Theia Liebreg 31st Mar 2018, 2:42 AM edit delete reply
Maybe we should chill Fuse down a little, he seems pretty mad about the events just now.
Fishbulb 31st Mar 2018, 6:58 AM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Or just mad that Michelle pointed out his crush on Lydia. :)
pkrankow 31st Mar 2018, 7:15 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
So middle school..
Archon 31st Mar 2018, 2:59 AM edit delete reply
Oof. Looks like Thale might be planning to go loud.
I hope not, as swarming the city with biomonsters really doesn't benefit anyone in the short or long term, but it might be the case.

As a precaution, should look into where biopaste is manufactured/stored.
Akasha 31st Mar 2018, 3:02 AM edit delete reply
Akasha
Yeah, I... do not blame Ms. Voclain for wanting to just promptly head off to sleep. Especially after all that craziness. Eesh. Do that thing where we help to make sure her sleep is just an extra bit more restful, because I'd imagine she's really gonna need that, then after breakfast, we can get the matters of her arm and fixing up her anatomy dealt with. Also, make a note to ask about Desmond Thale and look up info about him at some point. That too. That may well be important.

In any case, after we've put Ms. Voclain to bed, let's check up on Fuse and Michelle.
PurpleKetchup 31st Mar 2018, 3:07 AM edit delete reply
Welcome home, Ms. Voclain. Don't mind the teeth on the wall.
Blue_Elite 31st Mar 2018, 5:41 AM edit delete reply
We need to arrange what to do with the trucks tonight. In our hurry we don't what what all has trackers and what doesn't. We can either make another signal scrambler or just take the one off Edison's canister and put it in the truck with the door so that can be delivered to us. We should get temporary locations to store the other two in until either Jury can get to the contents to secure/check them or until we can check them for bugs before taking the contents.
Twyll 31st Mar 2018, 6:22 AM edit delete reply
Yeah, we definitely need to store all the stuff in a location that isn't anywhere near the city. We should probably find a semi-permanent storage space outside the city anyways-- after all, we can use the Bunker B door to get Pierce and Zene and family out into a different city without needing to get them visas or anything.
Twyll 31st Mar 2018, 6:27 AM edit delete reply
Time to start planning how to fix Ms. Voclain's... everything. We might end up needing to imbue her with, like, the basic building blocks of a personality, since Thale was trying to rob her of all sense of self and didn't give her much to work with in the first place. I suggest that we do like Ax did in Animorphs when he made a human form out of the combined features of all his friends, and just like... help forge her a personality out of all the people we know, combining little bits of all of them to make something new. And a healthy dose of what we remember of our mom, of course-- the positive things that could make Ms. Voclain's life more pleasant, like curiosity and enthusiasm, a sense of wonder, and being caring.

Obviously it's kinda weird to just go inserting personality into someone if they don't want it, so we should be very careful about working with her throughout the whole process and trying to *bring out* personality traits rather than *manufacture* them, but I really want to help her have more of a *self*-- and I think in order to do that, we'll probably need to give her some material to work with.

Compared with all that, the physical side of fixing her up should be relatively easy XD
pkrankow 31st Mar 2018, 7:38 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
She will develop personality, no need to push it onto her.

It will take some time. I think setting her up in England might be more useful. She may interact with the ghosts well too... we will need to see
Fishbulb 31st Mar 2018, 7:05 AM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
If the camera in the warehouse is still mobile, I suggest trying to move it somewhere that it (hopefully) won't be found.
pkrankow 31st Mar 2018, 7:32 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
... I slept through a good part...

We need to consult with Pierce and co about the voice at the bar. (P 860) The goal there is (more or less) within his experience.

Dr Finch needs to check Ms Voclain's injuries. Eyes on injuries will help, while intrusive will show some genuine concern about her well being. There is also a shower and fresh duds of some type around. A shirt for Caius or Michelle would go to Ms V's knees.

Finish up at the warehouse, hide everything, set the camera to charge, we will need to portal in stink bombs though.

Arrange for off site storage. Get Telsa through the door and consult Faraday about the trio.
Madd 31st Mar 2018, 8:42 AM edit delete reply
Madd
Give fuse some level.

Clean up Voclain and her injuries before she goes to sleep.

Take everything close to the city.
Leafia_Barrett 31st Mar 2018, 9:10 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
We definitely don't want the door near the city - tell Macland to find a nice isolated storage spot. Also, thank him - this plan never would have worked without his help.
Yeah, that's fair, I'd be pretty tired too: escort Ms. Voclain to a bed. Ask her if she wants a shower or anything first, though I suspect the answer will be no.
Once Ms. Voclain's in bed, follow Fuse and Michelle into the lab. Offer Fuse some level, it sounds like he needs it.
pkrankow 31st Mar 2018, 9:38 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
We should carefully measure the door to determine if it can fit through another door. Mars might be the best place for it. England is another good idea. In the snow outside bunker A might be good too. Mac's and Gensi's vacation house basement is also a valid lovation choice. The location should be secure, and considerations for stratigic might be important.
Nayru9572 31st Mar 2018, 10:14 AM edit delete reply
I don't think those two want to be unnecessarily involved in our mess anymore. Helping from a distance, sure, but actually getting close to anything having to do with this?
pkrankow 31st Mar 2018, 12:07 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Maybe. I still say it is a valid consideration if other options are less possible.
Mochi 31st Mar 2018, 9:15 AM edit delete reply
Mochi
we should help ms voclain get cleaned up and then let her sleep. while she's sleeping we can make sure thale didn't siphon anything too important away from her and fix up any smaller problems. then we need to get fuse to tell us about his fun adventure.
PurpleKetchup 31st Mar 2018, 10:38 AM edit delete reply
A sidethought - Thale probably knows we teleported using whatever was in that box, so it's only a matter of time (probably hours, since he's going to be rather pissed and work his staff to the bone) before he understands where we're holed up and how to reach us.

Can we just remove the card panel from outside the main city bunker so there's less risk of a surprise visit ?
psychoshen 31st Mar 2018, 11:36 AM edit delete reply
It's probably sleepy time for everyone. Hopefully Caius and the drivers won't be too long.

There needs to be some discussion around bioprinters. What are the easiest ways to shut one down? Are they all the same manufacturer? Is EM induction generated locally, or is it a city provided utility? I don't think we can shut down the entire city's power, although that might be preferable to a city-wide monster invasion.

Can we have Caius save some of that gore? Finch might be able to divine if there's some sort of difference between Jane and Thale blood.
pkrankow 31st Mar 2018, 12:11 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
We know there is a big difference between Jane's and Thale's blood. Thale's is significantly less capable than Jane's, but he has more experience and less scruples so his skills are currently greater.

Now: how about Jane's and Ms Voclain's? If Ms V is a clone, then her blood might not be a 'copy' which is a big part of why I wanted her kept away from Mom's red, and to introduce her to Babs first.