Comic 869 - Send in reinforcements

Posted on 31st Mar 2018, 12:51 AM in Shipping Off to Southden
Send in reinforcements

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 31st Mar 2018, 12:51 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
You take a deep breath. You increase Ms. Voclain's painkillers.

You move material from unneeded parts of her body (of which there are... surprisingly few), and begin to build bone around her trachea to keep her from being choked out.

The creature's nearer tentacle adamantly defends its lone eye--which makes it hard to blind, but leaves the tentacle choking Voclain defenseless. After much maneuvering, you manage to snake a bandage around, using a scalpel to sever the tendril. Ms. Voclain gasps for air, and starts trying to pry the severed cord from around her neck.

Unable to get a scalpel moved in to stab the monster's eye, you take a risk--you throw the scalpel from your bandage. The gamble pays off--the monster can't react fast enough, and the metal blade sinks into its one eyeball.

Michelle and Caius burst through the door to Bunker B. Michelle cocks her shotgun. Dr. Finch switches the door over, and they continue on into the crate. Caius kicks the side of the crate out, and Michelle steps into the truck proper.


image


"What tha SHIT, Thale?!," Caius yells.

"Duck," Michelle says simply. Ms. Voclain hits the floor.

Michelle aims up slightly, trying not to catch Voclain with the buckshot as she fires straight into the hand beast. Its tendrils flail, making a swing for Michelle--but she doesn't dodge, just fires again. The tendrils fall. Something under its surface begins to move, subtly, objects shifting beneath its skin--

Michelle fires a third time, splattering most of the monster across the back of the truck.

She steps out of the way for Caius, who grabs what's left of the hand... and back suplexes it straight out of the truck. Gore hits the pavement as it speeds by, leaving the monster a smear. You all wait for what's left to explode in bony shrapnel, or a burst of poisonous gas, or... anything.


It just... speeds away behind you, traffic swerving to avoid the mess in the road.

"Huh," Caius says, climbing to his feet. "I was waitin' for tha big kaboom."

"The cultist was still alive when he popped, I think," Michelle comments. "That thing was pretty dead, so... no kaboom. Just a guess, though, I ain't a scientist or nothin'."

"How d'ya tell tha diff'rence between dead an' alive on that sucker?," Caius asks. "It was a hand. A fuggen hand."

Michelle points at some of the... gore... splatterings on the truck wall with her shotgun. "See that? That's brain. Those are brain chunks."

Caius nods. "Well." That's all he says. He just... nods a few more times, raises his hands, and walks back into the crate.


Thale gave it a brain.

Thale put a brain in Voclain's arm. That might have been the first weird bulge when her arm started freaking out.

Probably a pre-oversynced brain (or just a smaller copy of Thale's brain), then disconnected the arm from her body internally. Might have given it a heart, as well, making it a "person" as far as Thale's concerned. If the brain was in fact synced to Thale, that would make it "him," the way your red is "you." You can move materials between you and the red. Thale could move materials between himself and the arm.

Where did he get the materials?

"If Thale considers all of his oversynced thralls to be himself..." Red starts, "then he can move materials between any of them. He could have sucked the organs out of his family to shove them into that arm, for all we know. If he's growing secretaries just to oversync them... he might have an entire stock of "extra Thales" ready to draw from. None of his thralls can say his name--it might not just be for anonymity, it might help him keep his delusion that he's everyone at once."


Michelle helps Ms. Voclain to her feet. You focus on stopping her bleeding, healing up her arm wound as much as you can, and putting her... uhhh... trachea collar materials back where you found them.

Comments:

Frission 31st Mar 2018, 1:19 AM edit delete reply
Frission
Right, so, let's get Ms. Voclain into the bunker via the door and see about getting her properly patched up with Finch and our bioprinter. We should also do a thorough scan of her body and brain to see if Thale did any lasting damage, and try to repair that. I mean if he tried to frickin' lobotomize her, I don't think he was taking the time to be precise. D:
Archon 31st Mar 2018, 1:25 AM edit delete reply
Interesting.
Was considering trying something similar in the future, prototyping a brain "node" to give a golem/homunculus limited autonomy, or to create an "overnode" to manage several such entities together for increased efficiency.
Once we have a proper golem workshop/laboratory, could be worth attempting.
lil Joshu 31st Mar 2018, 1:33 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
And with red access (especially if we drop the other door into the red) we won't be short on materials for golems, meaning we don't need to sacrifice people for them.
Akasha 31st Mar 2018, 1:33 AM edit delete reply
Akasha
An interesting prospect. Mind, I'm curious as to what you'd have in mind for our Build-A-Biomech workshop. I'd imagine a sufficiently large container of blood would be involved so as to portal it in without too much difficulty, at the very least.
Archon 31st Mar 2018, 2:03 AM edit delete reply
Ideally, the workshop would have several rooms dedicated to processing materials used in the finished golem. Sculpting tools, carpentry tools, alchemical equipment, a forge, etc etc etc.
A wide array of whatever tools would be useful for the kind of golem we wish to create.
Other than that, a station dedicated to designing golem/homunculus blueprints, and a room with a deep pool of blood.
Of course, that would be the ideal situation.

Much more likely we would have to settle for a reasonably sturdy table to work on and a big tub we can fill with blood. Materials which shouldn't be terribly hard to find somewhere.
Twyll 31st Mar 2018, 1:29 AM edit delete reply
As soon as we possibly can, HUG!
lil Joshu 31st Mar 2018, 1:33 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Agreed!
Leafia_Barrett 31st Mar 2018, 1:30 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Hhhhhhh.... Thank the stars that's done. Bring Ms. Voclain into the bunker, hug her and apologize for her having to go through all of that, and bring her to the bio-printer to make a new arm for her; while that's being done, scan her body and make a list of all the things that need fixing in her anatomy.
Check on Fuse and Lydia, let them know that the situation has been resolved.
Guost 31st Mar 2018, 1:45 AM edit delete reply
Now that that's over, chaek Fuse and Lydia.
Guost 31st Mar 2018, 1:52 AM edit delete reply
*check
Swagner 31st Mar 2018, 2:01 AM edit delete reply
Swagner
Yeah, Fuse seemed to be in a hurry, and in possession of unexpected intel, that usually means danger.
psychoshen 31st Mar 2018, 1:50 AM edit delete reply
psychoshen
If Ms. Voclain is ok to talk, have her talk to the movers/drivers and let them know everything is under control.
Ask Macland if he can trust them to keep quiet, or if we need to keep Ms. Voclain with just one arm until the delivery is complete. Maybe we can tip them to turn a blind eye.
If Macland trusts them though, bypass all that and get to work on having Ms. Voclain fixed up and hugged.

Maybe have Mom's Red chat her up to see if there's any familiarity there.

Close up the box, maybe clean up a bit in the truck if possible, the less the movers know, the better for them.
Terrabrand 31st Mar 2018, 6:42 AM edit delete reply
Thale is... disturbing.
Terrabrand 31st Mar 2018, 6:42 AM edit delete reply
Thale is... disturbing.
Guest 31st Mar 2018, 7:30 AM edit delete reply
Clean off the gibets... don't want Thale to be sensing through those.