Comic 867 - Sever the arm

Posted on 30th Mar 2018, 10:04 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Sever the arm

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 30th Mar 2018, 10:04 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You painkiller Ms. Voclain. You tell her she has to get rid of the arm, but it's going to be okay because--

she's already trying to physically rip it off with her good arm. You help her as much as you can. Thale's arm is pulled from her body. She hits the elevator button and bails--the severed limb continues to bulge out in strange places, twitching, jerking. Twisted nerves and musculature burst out like thin tendrils, whipping about from its broken flesh.

You tell Fuse he needs to get back.

Two of the trucks are already taking off. It's a struggle to climb into the back of the last one with one arm, but Ms. Voclain manages it.

The hand leaps off the elevator after her, grabbing onto part of the truck with one of its... cords... and pulling itself after Voclain. It's still growing.

"Where is he getting the mass?!," Red screams in the back of your mind. "He doesn't have a red! He shouldn't be able to do this! Even if he had a red, he shouldn't be able to move material to it--that's not his body! That's not even a person, IT'S A HAND!"

Ms. Voclain backs up to the far end of the trailer. It pulls out, and begins to move down the road. The hand creeps toward her, but its progress is slowed by its swelling, mutating form.

You recognize the large crate resting in the truck with her. It contains the door to Bunker B.

You get a text from Fuse. "TRYNG"

Comments:

LytharWolfe 30th Mar 2018, 10:16 PM edit delete reply
LytharWolfe
Shit shit shit shit shit. We're fucked. We need that door open now.
pkrankow 30th Mar 2018, 10:17 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Take Michelle and Caius, go get her. Crow bar, axe, and guns blazing!

Edit:

Oh crap we are in B, Caius and Michelle are in A. Or did we move around when hell broke loose? Call for Unity to bring the fire ax and her sidearm. Unity is more interested in helping us than the other two.
Wote 30th Mar 2018, 10:17 PM edit delete reply
Fuck it. Thale doesn't know who we have where and that thing doesn't have eyes. Ms. Voclain needs to take cover while someone comes through with a shotgun, Evil Deads the damn thing, and tosses its mangled remains out the back.
lil Joshu 30th Mar 2018, 10:21 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Seconded.

Who wants to be an action hero to fight a disembodied arm?
Wote 30th Mar 2018, 10:28 PM edit delete reply
You still on board if—after giving it some thought—I think we may be better off trying to just grab it with the bandages we've got in the box and either drag it behind the truck or just crush it. Gives away less about what we can and can't do and makes sure that whatever Thale's trying to do, there's also an obstacle between it and Ms. Voclain.
Leafia_Barrett 30th Mar 2018, 10:22 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Tell Voclain to get away from the hand as much as possible. Michelle, Caius, someone needs to get that fucking crate open and blast that arm to Kingdom Come. Bullets can probably get through the wood - we might be able to shoot it through the wood with Voclain's sight if we can't get the crate open in time.
EDIT: Are there bandages still in the box? We can use them to grab the damn thing and pull it out of the truck.
EDIT2: She can try throwing the smaller box next to her at it if she has the strength. (Resort to this if bandages fail.)
EDIT3: We have bandages on us and blooded bandages in the box - blood some more bandages and send them through the door and out the box to grab the hand; fill a syringe with blood and send it through with the bandages, have the bandages stab the arm with it.
pkrankow 30th Mar 2018, 10:26 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Unity
Fire ax

Yea.
lil Joshu 30th Mar 2018, 10:24 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
To answer red's question:
My hypothesis...

Just because he doesn't have a red doesn't necessarily mean he can't portal. And if he sleeps in a vat of biopaste (or IS a vat of biopaste at this point), that might let him portal more mass wherever he needs it.
Wote 30th Mar 2018, 10:29 PM edit delete reply
Also, Thale's enough of an egotistical bastard that he might not recognize that other people aren't part of him. Remember, we know that the whole "you/not you" divide is a very malleable concept.
Archon 30th Mar 2018, 10:50 PM edit delete reply
As a further extension, Thale may have learned to convert other material into biomass.
The inverse is something we potentially could learn to do in the future, should we wish.
Blue_Elite 30th Mar 2018, 10:44 PM edit delete reply
"I just got off the phone with Cam. Her hospital's bioprinters got replaced today, but she said the crew that did it were new--said the contracts for workin' on those bioprinters got bought out by another company. ..."
"How did The Sorrow put it? The only body a spirit can inhabit... is his own. What a delightfully ambiguous rule."

Thale is using hospital bioprinters to mimic The Red.
He considers Ms. Voclain physically a part, if not very simply him. As a matter of fact, perhaps Thale realized very early on the mind trick for how The Blood works. That's why he absolutely refuses to be addressed as a single person/being - by considering himself a presence or gestalt being, he's not limited to considering any physical body as being owned or a part of him; it's very simply all him. Period.
Wote 30th Mar 2018, 10:51 PM edit delete reply
Holy shit. I think you may be on to something with the whole name thing.
Blue_Elite 30th Mar 2018, 10:53 PM edit delete reply
Thale likely has that, "presence vision," we've got so if possible, we want Michelle/Caius to explode out of the crate on the side Ms. Voclain is on (and thus keep the contents inside unknown). My vote would be for Michelle to do it and to immediately blast that arm with a shotgun blast. If we can load her up with some blood-bandages so we can do some tentacle-to-tentacle combat (or very simply completely wrap up the thing), that'd be ideal as we just need to get that limb off the vehicle.

IF that gets that crisis averted, next we should turn our attention to Fuse and whatever shenanigans he's gotten himself up to.
Mochi 30th Mar 2018, 11:06 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
bleed on some bandages from our first aid kit, arm them with scalpels and a syringe or two, and send them into the truck. either fight the hand, blood the hand, or attempt to drag it out of the truck.
Wote 30th Mar 2018, 11:13 PM edit delete reply
I'd say go for blooding it first, going at it with the scalpels second, and trying to toss it third.

Regardless, I'm reiterating my support for a pro-bandage plan.
psychoshen 30th Mar 2018, 11:15 PM edit delete reply
psychoshen
The gang needs to get reinforcements to Ms. Voclain's side on the double. Even if they arrive after the battle is done, Ms. Voclain will probably need some medical attention.

I'm on board with attacking the arm with scalpels, bandages and anything else that's available that will allow for some distance. Extra doses of blood?

Maybe sync up Ms. Voclain so she can react to any attacks the arm may attempt.