Comic 862 - Answer the phone

Posted on 30th Mar 2018, 12:32 AM in Shipping Off to Southden
Answer the phone

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 30th Mar 2018, 12:32 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
You check on Fuse real quick. He's in a vent with Lydia; you can hear multiple male voices, but you're not sure where--

"It's me," Ms. Voclain speaks into the phone. "Nothing unusual occurred today. Things are fine on my end, if you have made preparations for the delivery."

You check on Macland Row.

"I got three different companies with three different trucks ready. We can split the goods up, or just shove it all into one truck and let the other two be decoys. They're ready to drive as far as you want. I am READY, baby."

Comments:

Twyll 30th Mar 2018, 12:51 AM edit delete reply
Alright, we need a list from Ms. Voclain of what all is actually stored in that warehouse, or she can just give us her opinion on the most important/dangerous things, what she believes we should deprive Thale of. (I'm sure she has strong opinions on what would hurt him most to take.)

We should probably tell her that we know what Thale was trying, and we're not gonna let him have the satisfaction. We're not going to let him oversync her. If she absolutely wants to die, we can make that happen quickly and painlessly, and would do that for her as an alternative to being taken over by Thale; but we really really want to help her live, if she'll let us.

Giving Ms. Voclain a happy, independent life is the biggest slap in Thale's face that I can think of. Besides, we owe her a lot for her help.
Leafia_Barrett 30th Mar 2018, 7:39 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Everything Twyll said.

EDIT: If she does still want to die on her own terms, that is still her call; we can't force her to take the blood. If she has a plan to hit Thale remotely in some manner, it would be super-helpful to know how. Whatever the case, it is best that we leave it to her to decide.
Archon 30th Mar 2018, 8:52 AM edit delete reply
We might want to suggest to Ms. Voclain that we could learn something valuable from blooding her.
Specifically, something we could use against Thale.
Phrasing it as a means to extract value from Ms. Voclain rather than an attempt to save her is, I suspect, more likely to convince her while still being technically truthful.
Twyll 30th Mar 2018, 2:41 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, and we can definitely push the "want to fuck over Thale? This is how we fuck over Thale" angle.
psychoshen 30th Mar 2018, 1:03 AM edit delete reply
psychoshen
Thank Macland and Ms. Voclain.

Let her know we've made arrangements for shipping the one particular crate (with the bunker door) and if she has a manifest of the remaining crates, we'd love to take anything else that's useful. Ask if Thale has any means of tracking down these items if we shed the containers first. For items that will fit and present no risk, we can store them temporarily in Bunker B.

Ask if she's reconsidered fleeing Thale.

If she's still on the fence, remind her that if she still wants Thale to die/pay, she would be more helpful in our group rather than eventually being taken over completely.
Nayru9572 30th Mar 2018, 1:44 AM edit delete reply
To be honest, I doubt that skill-wise she'd really be an asset. We honestly don't need a secretary. But extra hands are welcome, and offerring her a way out is something we should do, yes. I doubt she'll agree however.
lil Joshu 30th Mar 2018, 1:52 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
@Nayru
Are you kidding? We TOTALLY need a secretary. We've got a base, we've got funds running, we've got a town in southden we're starting to operate out of, we're organizing to move a lot of stuff off site, we've got resources spread across multiple planets, we're tracking the state of multiple competitors, heck yes we need a secretary.

Half of a secretary's job is to handle making sure we don't lose track of the bajillion things we're screwed by if lose track of.
Leafia_Barrett 30th Mar 2018, 11:12 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
It's her choice whether she wants to be blooded or not, but I feel like in the majority of ways things could turn out, it's to her benefit to be blooded - if she wants to live, we can fix her, and if she wants to die, we can make it quick and painless; in both cases she's out of Thale's hands. If she doesn't take the blood, then I'm very certain Thale will have a way to get information about us out of her, either directly from her brain or by forcing her to talk. If she has a plan for a third option, then she should let us know, and whatever the case, we shouldn't force it on her.
Blue_Elite 30th Mar 2018, 3:23 AM edit delete reply
Oh Mac, please kidda-change but only from a JerkWithAHeartOfJerk to JerkWithAHeartOfGold.

We should at least get things in motion. Ask Ms. Voclain about pickup so we can give those directions to Macland/the drivers.

While waiting for that we can ask additional questions about how greedy we can be about this. From what she mentioned, I'm guessing what we've currently arranged is fine because Thale will not be aware anything of value is being lost (if anything at all really). If that's true, I'd be wary about stealing too much or anything too important.
The two main things on my mind is what we can get while Ms. Voclain remains our mole (which, if we end up rescuing her, that becomes moot and we can steal as much as possible) and what we can keep without enraging Thale. One option to consider is just hiding items so that neither Thale nor us have access to them (giving Thale a reason to look all around and not strictly and only for us could be a good thing).
On THAT note about rescuing Ms. Voclain: I'd like to experiment with our abilities in memory manipulation using her and Pierce. The idea being that I doubt they have much if anything in common memory-wise; which would mean everything else they remember in-common would be the result of Thale's syncing. We could then try to modify or delete (please note "deleting" should be used sparingly if at all) the like-memories and what is left should be the individual memories. We would, of course, ask for consent from both parties as this experiment like many others will likely end in some degree of disaster. BUT if we can find a method to force de-sync, it'd mean being able to rehabilitate Queen'd people we blood.
Leafia_Barrett 30th Mar 2018, 11:11 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Based on the Nil paralogue, I think Macland's already in the process of making the change to a heart of gold; we know for a fact he feels guilty for his past actions, and he's taking steps to help make up for them.
Terrabrand 30th Mar 2018, 5:18 AM edit delete reply
I'm amused at how much value we are getting out of Macland Row. He's actually a pretty charming person, in a way.
pkrankow 30th Mar 2018, 8:27 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Tell Ms V that we havd a safe "house" worlds away from Thale's influence.

If she aggrees, we will meet her in the truck, take her blindfolded through to England, then Mars.
Fishbulb 30th Mar 2018, 11:08 AM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
At some point in the conversation, if it seems like Ms. Voclain is adamant about not accepting being blooded, Jane should ask her what she plans on doing after her two days is up.
Leafia_Barrett 30th Mar 2018, 11:48 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
If her concern is she doesn't want to be controlled by any Blood, we can offer to purge her system of the bioprinted blood then convert our blood to bone, freeing her from the influence of both.
Whatever the case may be, I will argue up and down that we should leave a syringe of blood for her if she changes her mind.

EDIT: Let's complicate this moral dilemma even further, shall we? Gixatian (Discord) brought up this point: "If someone was about to commit suicide by jumping off a roof, would you stop them?"

EDIT 2: If she wants to die, we can make it happen quickly, painlessly, and in a way that deprives Thale of very important information. If she wants to live, we can fix her. If she wants to hinder Thale, her best bet is still to take the blood. I say we argue strongly for taking the syringe, and leave the syringe for her in case she changes her mind. You can lead a horse to water but you can't it drink, but we shouldn't just drive away with the water tank.
PurpleKetchup 30th Mar 2018, 1:33 PM edit delete reply
The Mack's enthusiasm is quite endearing.

Anyway, we can load the gate in a truck, Tesla in another and have the third do whatever. Gotta find appropriate drop points for each, though.
pkrankow 30th Mar 2018, 2:57 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Load the door and Telsa into the same truck. Open door from England, take Telsa and replace with an empty drum painted a similar color. Take Ms V and return. Use screwgun from inside to reseal the crate.