Comic 851 - Wake up, contact Macland

Posted on 27th Mar 2018, 10:06 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Wake up, contact Macland

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 27th Mar 2018, 10:06 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You wake up... not extremely well rested, but you'll get by.

You contact Macland, and ask if he has connections with any shipping companies. You need a late night delivery done from somewhere on the other side of the states, probably to the city you're in. Obviously, they can't be connected to Thale, or near the city where he's distributing Queen.

"I mean, I don't," Macland says, "but I can get connections real quick. This may come as a shock, but I have a lot of money. More shocking still, people love money."

"Are you talking to the nurse again...?," Shirai asks.

"Yeah. Something about a delivery job."

You mention that it'll be late at night, and you don't know exactly what time. You tell him the city the warehouse is located in... but you won't know what your window is until it happens.

"Mmmmmmoney," he responds. "Let me know when you need it--I'll have somebody ready, no questions asked. Dicking over Thale from the comfort of my girlfriend's beach house?" He nods vigorously, making an OK sign with his fingers. "I got ya covered."

You wander into the lab. Everyone's eating grilled cheese sandwiches... somehow, despite the bunker's lack of cooking equipment. Surely, the greatest mystery of all.

"Got a call from Jury," Michelle says. "She can get Z and the gang into witness protection, but they won't be leavin' the country. They'll be headin'... south, prob'ly, I dunno. No go on the visas and stuff for us, though--y'know, since we're still doin' crimes and stuff, might set off red flags. She can get them outta here whenever we're ready, we'll just have to set up a meeting with the feds through her."

"No part o' meetin' with tha feds sounds right," Caius comments. "We're gonna get stinged on. Stung? Whatever, it stinks."

Michelle gives a big shrug. "It's Jury. I trust her."

"I trust Jury," Caius replies. "I don't trust nobody else with a badge. ...Besides you guys, I mean."

Fuse turns from the computer to face you. "I figured out who Douglas Gargan is. Remember that photo of Brother Hope? Doug's the old dude with the cane. Can't find jack on his company, though--like I thought, he's old, and he doesn't internet much. It's a start, though, and it confirms he's buddies with Hope."

"...Which means he's buddies with Thale," Dr. Finch concludes.

"I can dig some more into Gargan Heart today," Fuse says. "You guys go hock those car parts, make some friends in Southden. The sooner we get that book, the sooner I can stop sweating about whether it's a trap or not."

You mention that, yesterday, you were actually considering bringing Fuse along today--

"Naaah," Fuse says, waving a hand. "Keep the squads as-is." Fuse gives you a... slight stare. "Trust me. It's good. You're good."

Comments:

psychoshen 27th Mar 2018, 10:41 PM edit delete reply
psychoshen
I know Jury trusts her higher ups, but is there any way we can confirm she wasn't tampered with during her examination?
Twyll 27th Mar 2018, 10:43 PM edit delete reply
I still think it might be a good idea to ship the crate with the bunker door to somewhere *other* than the city.

...Saaaaay, Mac, about that beach house...

No seriously though, is there another town we can think of where it would be relatively easy to get some property-- a warehouse or storage unit something-- and just stash the crate there? Might as well not even bring the thing into Thale's zone of influence.

And again, if we can move the bunker door to somewhere else, we might not even necessarily need to put the folks in witness protection-- we could just send them out our newly moved bunker door into the new area. Maybe just find somewhere with a low cost of living and/or that has some available jobs.

Maybe Macland has some ideas in that regard? He might not have any ideas on cost of living or such, but maybe he has assets in other cities; heck, he might have companies here or there that need some local employees, even if it's just a way to make the company look a little more legitimate.

We should also plan on having the stuff shipped in multiple legs, by multiple different shipping companies. Having one group of people who know the entire journey the crate took could be dangerous, if Thale manages to get his hands on those people. If they have to hand it off, though, it becomes less likely that he can find and infect the people they handed it off to.

Good idea on doing Southden stuff today, but we should also definitely be thinking about what we can do to help Ms. Voclain, and what help we can get from her. A list of what's actually stored in the warehouse would be *excellent,* so we know if there's anything *else* we should be shipping out of there before Thale notices we've nabbed Ms. Voclain (because let's be real here, we're nabbing her, it's not in us *not* to).
Fishbulb 27th Mar 2018, 10:50 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Well, technically, once the door is out of the warehouse, someone could go through it and move it wherever it would be safe. Does U-Haul still exist?
pkrankow 28th Mar 2018, 7:25 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
I like the door in another city too. We should ask Jury about this as she has a special interest in it. Somewhere more strategically useful than England or Mars...

Maybe on the Uhaul. Shipping companies have secured areas and get funny about surprises. Someone would have to go the "normal" way to get it
Baron11704 27th Mar 2018, 10:52 PM edit delete reply
Originally I thought he was a douche, but I'm beginning to like Macland's style
Blue_Elite 27th Mar 2018, 11:12 PM edit delete reply
He IS a douche. But he's a douche to everyone; including elder gods no one in their right mind would be a douche to. It's as much his weakness as it is his strength.
rufiangel 27th Mar 2018, 10:56 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
I'm just imagining Fuse using his pyrokinesis to grill cheese sandwiches with Michelle giggling madly while gasping 'you're going to kill us all!' behind him as Caius stands guard so Dr. Finch doesn't notice what they're doing XD
Blue_Elite 27th Mar 2018, 11:16 PM edit delete reply
Heck, I'm now wondering if Fuse just acted as the burner while Michelle operated the frying pan. Probably with a, "We agree Blondie never needs to know about this ever." XD
Blue_Elite 27th Mar 2018, 11:30 PM edit delete reply
We've got so many irons in the fire. So for now I'ma just focus on the one we really need to get done.

I'm guessing it'll be Dr. Finch, Caius and us again to Southden. If Fuse wants to give us some pro-tips it couldn't hurt. For the actual hocking, I'm thinking definitely Caius due to his acting skills, contract negotiation, and just general intimidating physique. Don't know if Dr. Finch is confident enough in his salesmanship to duo with Caius or if we feel we can contribute anything (we may come off as too cute to be effective in dealings with the underground).
We should also come off as, "Legitimate salesmen," looking into a number of business opportunities; including securing IDs for people who may have, "Accidentally," lost theirs and need one on the quick and easy while here. The idea being not to implicate ourselves as being without IDs/papers and just looking to get those for others as a business.
psychoshen 27th Mar 2018, 11:46 PM edit delete reply
psychoshen
While they're making friends in Southden, maybe have Michelle setup a fallback position in one of the houses in Ilworth. A house with a good basement and ruined upper floors could be helpful. They already know the bunker won't be safe forever.
rufiangel 27th Mar 2018, 11:56 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
I like this idea. Also your avatar is amazeballs and I can see why the lack of animation on it for Discord was a bit of a bummer now XD glad you can showcase it here though!
psychoshen 28th Mar 2018, 12:00 AM edit delete reply
psychoshen
Thanks! The chocobo I'm using on Discord is supposed to be animated too, but it's just a walking animation, so no one is missing out on much.
psychoshen 28th Mar 2018, 12:13 AM edit delete reply
psychoshen
I'd like to suggest also, planting baby Red in the warehouse. Maybe hidden in a box. When Mom's Red attaches, we could have it utterly destroy the place, denying it to Thale permanently. After we loot the place of course. "Pillage, then burn."
lil Joshu 28th Mar 2018, 12:04 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Um... why are we shipping the door here? Why not to some little cheap plot of land in the middle of nowhere with a cave system underneath?