Comic 844 - Check things, try things

Posted on 26th Mar 2018, 2:32 PM in Shipping Off to Southden
Check things, try things

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 26th Mar 2018, 2:32 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You don't want to be intrusive in the heat of the moment, but you do start scaling back Dr. Finch's adrenaline a little bit. You also try to (gently) wake up Caius and Michelle.

You check on the blood vial you left with the Juries. Your sense of the area is again dulled, but you're familiar enough with the room that you can tell which silhouettes are theirs. You give the vial a shake, but you're not sure they know Morse code. ...Not that you know much Morse code, either, but

"IT IS TRYINGTOSENDA MESSAGE?," asks Unity.

Their voices are muffled. Well, you're not... really hearing them, per se--you're picking the sounds up through the blood. You've never really been able to describe what it feels like, it's just not as good as hearing.

"CONDITIONS ARE N-NORMAL," states Infinity. "THIS UNIT DOES DOES NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE GLASS CONTAINER IS SH-SHAKING."

Trinity says something, but she's too far away for you to quite make it out.

"WE HAVE DETECTED NOUNUSUALACTIVITYINSIDE THE FACILITY?," replies Unity.

"THIS UNIT INTERPRETS THE V-VIBRATIONS OF THE GLASS CONTAINER AS A SIGN SIGN SIGN TO BE CAUTIOUS," states Infinity. "THIS UNIT ADVOCATES A THOROUGH S-SWEEP OF THE FACILITY."

Trinity says something else, and then steps out of the room--presumably to begin checking the bunker for anything unusual. So far, so good--it means no one's stormed the bunker yet.

You check on the warehouse again, and the golem. You faintly hear--or rather, sense--someone... shouting? A woman? Not in fear or panic, just... being very loud. You can't make her words out, but it might explain how your blood alarm managed to be set off in the first place.

You resolve to try and portal your eye into the golem (you can only hope there's room). You know you've made portals out of free standing blood before--your first portal was back to the bloody sheets in your room, at the start of everything. You turn away from Dr. Finch and Fuse, telling them that the Juries are okay and their bunker is fine for now while you form a portal from within your eye, shoving your eyeball into the red and...


image


Oh. Hmm.

You do manage to open a small portal inside the golem. You should, in theory, be able to send your eye to that portal, and pop it out inside the golem.

...The problem is that, from within the red, you can't tell where the entrance to that portal is. Everything's just... red, in all directions. Infinite red. This is probably why it took you a month to get out of the red the first time.

You bring your eye back into your head. Okay. Different plan.

The human body produces energy. ATP from mitochondria, ions of various flavors inside individual cells--it shouldn't be impossible to power the camera back up. You should be able to convert the blood inside the golem to electricity, and charge the battery.

Maybe.

Problem one: you would be trying to convert materials in an object, which you don't think you've tried yet. You converted materials inside you, and inside other people, and inside the red (which is technically you). Trying to turn blood into anything else inside the golem is new ground. You don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to do it, though.

Problem two: The human body doesn't produce that much electricity, normally. You don't have much blood in the golem, only enough to move it around and work the camera. Simply breaking cell membranes to free ions won't be enough, you'll need to convert whole blood cells to energy--probably a lot of them. If you only gave the golem enough blood to move it, but then you convert most of that blood into electricity... well, you won't be able to move the golem anymore. The camera will be on, and you'll still have access to the feed via the computer, but the golem will be a sitting duck. You can't move additional materials from your body or your red to the golem, as it isn't "you."

Problem three, probably: You've never done anything with biological electricity before. You've talked about it briefly with Dr. Finch, you've thought about it, but you've never pulled the trigger and really tried something. The last time you played with the idea, though, you were far less skilled in your powers... so this might be less of a problem, and more of an excuse to attempt it.

Being able to utilize electricity would open a lot of options, and give you a better idea of who's in the warehouse (and why)--but it does mean that your hidden golem will become very much stuck in its hiding place.

Comments:

Leafia_Barrett 26th Mar 2018, 3:05 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Power up the camera with the blood cells. You can always send another bot through to reapply blood to the first one later on, but we need visuals in that room, now.
Blue_Elite 26th Mar 2018, 4:00 PM edit delete reply
Actually, if they've taken the door, we're likely not getting that blood-camera drone back.
Granted, knowing IF they've taken the door is more important than having a mobile blood-camera.

I agree to the blood-to-electricity transfer. Heck, if we get good at it, we might be able to burn up the remaining blood if necessary leaving a useless phone that they can't trace back to us (and prevent them from getting a blood sample to experiment with *shudder*).
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 4:10 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
I third trying to make electricity.

Could just be boxes being moved, but if it's just that, we can just send another thing through when it's safe. Further, our red is full of blood and we can't locate the point to portal too. BUT if we're burning blood for electricity, that may give us a point to lock onto, and make porting in electricity and (and supplying blood from our red for converting to more electricity so we don't run out). It could give enough time to address an interesting question...

If we blood a generator, can we just connect the two points in the red?

Thale challenged us that we're only dipping our toes in our abilities. Let's push ourselves and pull up new tricks that will give us a serious advantage.

[Side note for later: Blood the bunker doors.]
Viy 26th Mar 2018, 3:26 PM edit delete reply
Set the door in Ilworth to Bunker B.
That way, the door in the warehouse wont connect to the Juries.
Fishbulb 26th Mar 2018, 3:43 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Is this a job for Willard? Send him through the Bunker B door and either have him do reconnaissance or act as a beacon for the blood portal.
Memo 26th Mar 2018, 3:50 PM edit delete reply
Memo
I agree with this.
Sneeking Willard into the warehouse would be a good way of gaining intelligence
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 4:05 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
sending in Willard means opening the door while people are present. That might be a giveaway we don't want to do.
PurpleKetchup 26th Mar 2018, 3:49 PM edit delete reply
Hmm, gotta ask Red if she can find her way through herself better than Jane's lone eyeball.

Anyway, the goal wasn't exactly to transform the blood into energy, but to use the transdimensional channel between the golem and Jane to power it directly. There's a lot more red in Jane than in the golem, so the idea was to have Jane as the source, sending electric pulses through the red to the golem, who would charge its battery from the resulting EM mini-field.
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 4:03 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
True, and with golem, we don't have to worry about pulling from red as much if it sprouts a mouth and eyes on its shoulder.
Leafia_Barrett 26th Mar 2018, 4:19 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
I don't follow. Do we understand enough about the channel to do anything with it right now?
Wote 26th Mar 2018, 4:56 PM edit delete reply
Only one way to find out, right?
Frission 26th Mar 2018, 4:22 PM edit delete reply
Frission
There's always the option of just, cracking the door open a centimeter or so and seeing if it's still in the box. If the answer is yes, one could spy from within said box.
pkrankow 26th Mar 2018, 5:40 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Ask,"How long till the camera has a useful charge?"

Under 30 minutes take no action other than listening. Maybe form the bandages into a horn shape to aid hearing, if you are convinced the golem is "safe" enough.

Longer than 30 minutes this blood to battery idea sounds somewhat useful.

Consider switching the door to the PJ's open at one location or another.

Note to the future, out loud: Learn Morse code. Everybody learns Morse code. Even Pierce and Zene, and his parents.

(It can be learned in a few hours, although it takes days or weeks of practice to be proficient)
Leafia_Barrett 26th Mar 2018, 5:56 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Do we have that much time?