Comic 843 - Check on Fuse and Dr. Finch

Posted on 26th Mar 2018, 2:59 AM in Shipping Off to Southden
Check on Fuse and Dr. Finch

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 26th Mar 2018, 2:59 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
You mentally check on Fuse and Dr. Finch.

You discover that they're still in the lab.

"I just..." Dr. Finch sighs. "I feel like this is ridiculous. Like I'm being ridiculous. I am a grown man, an adult, I shouldn't be confused let alone worried about... about--"

"Man," Fuse says, throwing his hands up, "same, dude. Like, I know you've got some years on me, but I feel like I'm in the same boat. Everything we've been through, everything we're STILL going through, it feels dumb to be getting nervous about something so small time. I get that. I think that's just humans, man. I don't think we're gonna outgrow that. No matter how many robots or ghosts or... whatever it is we fight, this is the kinda stuff that's always gonna freak us out. We can stare death in the face, but this? Emotional stuff never changes."

Dr. Finch nods solemnly. "I suppose that's true. We're just... wired that way. As people. It's just... irrational, especially because we're constantly staring death in the face. With everything on my mind, with the weight that's placed upon our shoulders, how can I even for one moment, for one iota of a second allow myself to be distracted by--"

You wander in, and Fuse immediately cuts Dr. Finch off. "Hello heyit'sBlondie."

Dr. Finch stops speaking, spinning around to face you. "Oh, um, yes. Hello. Good morning. Did... did did we wake you? I apologize, I--"

You tell them what's going on--that something's in the warehouse, and you can't see out of the camera.

"Oh, shit." Fuse turns to the computer, brings up a tab, hits a few keys, and... "Oh, shit, the camera's recharging! Uhhh... shit, it's at like 4%, I can't even get it on. Uhhh..."

Dr. Finch peers over Fuse's shoulder, now wide eyed and looking more nervous than before. ...Which was already pretty nervous. "Well... well well perhaps, perhaps they're just marking crates again, perhaps it's a perfectly routine--"

"At this hour?!" Fuse turns, bewildered. "Uhhh shit, okay, they could be hauling the door off. They could be going into the door, god dammit, we--"

"We need to remain calm," Dr. Finch states. He does not sound calm. "We need to be rational about this."

"We need to get the hell in there!," Fuse counters. "We need to stop them!"

"We have provided the androids a plan," Dr. Finch says. "We have given them strict instructions--"

"Lasker is in that bunker!," Fuse says, his volume building. "I saw him he's in that fucking bunker Finch!"

Dr. Finch stops. He pales. He looks at Fuse, and then at you. "We we we... we need to, we need... we need to think this through, yes? Yes. We need a... a a a plan, we need... well... what we need... we need to... to..."

Comments:

Terrabrand 26th Mar 2018, 3:24 AM edit delete reply
Oh dear.
Xylas_Incarnum 26th Mar 2018, 3:32 AM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
Pop some mental Level to Fuse and Finch they need to calm down a bit.
undeadDreamer 26th Mar 2018, 5:57 AM edit delete reply
Nah they need to be allowed to feel for a bit. We can handle this.
undeadDreamer 26th Mar 2018, 5:57 AM edit delete reply
Nah they need to be allowed to feel for a bit. We can handle this.
undeadDreamer 26th Mar 2018, 5:57 AM edit delete reply
Nah they need to be allowed to feel for a bit. We can handle this.
Portal In Time 26th Mar 2018, 10:31 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Nah they need to be allowed to feel for a bit. We can handle this.
Baron11704 26th Mar 2018, 11:38 AM edit delete reply
Nah they need to be allowed to feel for a bit. We can handle this.
Swagner 26th Mar 2018, 3:21 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Nah they need to be allowed to feel for a bit. We can handle this.
Nayru9572 26th Mar 2018, 3:33 AM edit delete reply
Check on the vial we gave the Proto-Jurys.
Macheman7 26th Mar 2018, 9:29 AM edit delete reply
Macheman7
If we really did give a blood vial to the Juries, heck yeah we need to look into it, I forget the circumstances around why we gave it to them but y'know.
I know we can't perceive though the blood very well, but maybe we could portal an optic nerve- Just the one this time- Into the vial? Maybe? Please?
Nayru9572 26th Mar 2018, 2:27 PM edit delete reply
We gave it to them precisely for situations like this.
undeadDreamer 26th Mar 2018, 4:01 AM edit delete reply
Oh hey sorry to interrupt the talking about Finch's crush on Caius. Can't we just connect to the bunker from the city to cut it off from the warehouse? Make sure to take the card to get back as well. Maybe force the phone on with blood powers.
Guest 26th Mar 2018, 4:15 AM edit delete reply
What.
Portal In Time 26th Mar 2018, 10:34 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
That would give it away that the doors are still being used. As far as this testing place knows, there aren’t any outsiders who know of its existence - they might search for us, and find us.
Blue_Elite 26th Mar 2018, 4:18 AM edit delete reply
Since I haven't commented on it yet: We have jammies and they're adorable! =^_^=

Agree to giving the two a level effect until they say otherwise. Obviously we interrupted some serious discussion that was already making them nervous with something to make them yet more nervous. They need a proverbial slap in the face.

As long as the camera-bot isn't found, we can look to see if the door crate is missing later. It won't do us any good to just pop out of it as that auto-turret could mow us down; and that's just WITHIN the warehouse.
If the guys need to relieve their nerves, we can go to Bunker B right now and see about blocking or securing the door. Sense our alarm JUST went off, that'd mean they're still in the process of hauling it and it should be safe to go there just to block it off. If they can't get the doors open or if all they see is a wall, maybe they'll lose interest and move on to something else.
Alternatively: Could we just create an error room by keeping the door, "in use," from the Bunker B side?
Wote 26th Mar 2018, 6:09 AM edit delete reply
Agreed on almost all fronts. Maybe try an actual slap in the face before Leveling them and ask before we resort to the latter. Either way, if shit's going down, cutting off outside access to B is the way to go.
Nayru9572 26th Mar 2018, 6:20 AM edit delete reply
Let's not actually slap them, since that hurts. Maybe just tell them to get it together before offering the level effect.
Fishbulb 26th Mar 2018, 7:27 AM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Try not to panic. First of all, let's check to see if it's possible to access Bunker B. If you can get in, then obviously nobody else is trying to. If you can't.... well, then it's time to panic.
Fishbulb 26th Mar 2018, 7:59 AM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Second thought: would it be possible for Jane to pull her eye through a blood portal on the spiderbot? Maybe not even all the way through, just enough to see through? Or am I misunderstanding the way blood portals work?
Portal In Time 26th Mar 2018, 10:39 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Maybe. If we connect the door and they attempt to use it, the door may just lay there, benign. It ALSO may lead to an Error room. Either way, they would probably know if we switched it out. I vote that we only check briefly if they’re actually opening the door? But also, I don’t know. I’m conflicted.

Seconded on the eye-portalling, regardless.
Leafia_Barrett 26th Mar 2018, 9:46 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Guys, stay calm. Just... stay calm, okay? We did not maake it this far by panicking, and right now that is the worst thing we can do. Offer a level effect if necessary, but we can not afford to panic.
Wake Michelle and Caius up. We have a situation.

We can force the door to connect to the Error room rather than the bunker, but only if we give up our ability to go through the door ourselves. It may be wise to get a camerabot through there first. Surely we have something we can send in there, right? A cell phone, maybe? Worst case scenario, we can send our eyeball through. We need to have eyes there (no pun intended), we can't work blind. If we need to send our eye through, step out of the room briefly, to the bathroom or something; we do not need to traumatize the rest of the crew again, nor do we need to traumatize Michelle.
Alternately, could we try pushing our eye through the blooded bandages?
pkrankow 26th Mar 2018, 12:44 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Go check on the Juries. If we can get there then they are for the moment fine. We can wait a half hour for a useful charge on the camera.

If we cannot access their bunker we need to keep calm and continue investigating. Panic won't help.

Yes, level effect might be good.
PurpleKetchup 26th Mar 2018, 1:17 PM edit delete reply
I wonder, can Jane channel energy through the red ? The camera uses EM fields to recharge, so if a strong enough power source comes from the red it carries it should be able to boot up as if it was plugged in mains... maybe ?

Also, they both need to relax a whole bunch. Maybe tune their adrenaline a bit before resorting to Level.
Might want to wake Michelle up so she has time to get in gear if shit hits the turbofan.
lil Joshu 26th Mar 2018, 1:32 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Agreed. We can channel an optic nerve, we can channel some juice probably easier.

Or we could try the eye thing again.
Swagner 26th Mar 2018, 3:23 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
No need to reinvent the wheel, just add an eyeball.