Comic 820 - Talk to ghosts

Posted on 20th Mar 2018, 4:32 PM in No Easy Way Out
Talk to ghosts

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 20th Mar 2018, 4:32 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
"I believe the no electronics zone is beyond the sign," Dr. Finch states. "If you don't mind, I'm going to retrieve my phone long enough to determine this exact location."

You tell Fuse, who helps Dr. Finch to start finagling the doors.

You suggest that Caius go speak with the ghosts.

Caius doesn't react, at first. He stares forward for a second or two, wipes his mouth, inhales sharply, looks aside... and then gives a few shallow nods. "Alright."

He approaches--not as slowly as you'd suggest, but slower than you expected.

"Hey," Caius says simply, about where the first spirit seems to be coming and going.

Its form becomes more stable, the ghost's voice coming from several directions at once... and yet, nowhere in particular.

"...She was screaming... the whole time... they won't put that in the report, will they...? Everyone could hear it... why...? They trusted us... when I close my eyes, I can still see her... burning... what have we done...?"

The ghost slowly fades.

Caius inhales deeply, and exhales slowly. "Alright," he says again. He approaches the second ghost. Like before, the second ghost seems to materialize more firmly as Caius draws near.

"Tesla won't stop crying... Edison wants to kill us... they know...! They know what happened...! We didn't approve of this...! Site One... they must have got to someone... they just want to use these girls as a power source... they're people, god dammit...!"

The ghost slowly fades.

Dr. Finch makes it back outside Bunker E with his cell phone. It takes a moment to calibrate, but soon... "There we are! Ilworth. We're in Ilworth."

You report this to Fuse, who does some quick internet searching. Fuse nods. "Yup, perfect. Stuff online's saying Ilworth just kind of... faded out. Businesses dried up, everybody started moving to the cities, the place naturally depopulated. It's also like a twenty minute drive from Southden, which still has people in it. ...Or like an hour and a half walk? I dunno."

Dr. Finch brings his phone back to Bunker A, and he and Fuse sort the doors so that Dr. Finch can return to Bunker E.

Comments:

LytharWolfe 20th Mar 2018, 5:24 PM edit delete reply
LytharWolfe
Very interesting, and this reinforces my thoughts that we never, under any circumstances, allow Edison out of our sight, ever.
pkrankow 20th Mar 2018, 5:29 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
I suspect these are Edison's first victims....
pkrankow 20th Mar 2018, 5:38 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
There are 2 sets of documents we could use. Incibent f and 40b
Nayru9572 20th Mar 2018, 5:38 PM edit delete reply
Can we ask Gaius if he's alright? Sounds to me like he might be afraid of ghosts. Ask Finch how he thinks about 'ghosts' (try to discourage him from going on a scientific rant for now) to see if he can switch with Caius.
Once that's been figured out, send someone to the next room to see if there are more 'ghosts'.
PS: assure Caius there's nothing wrong with being afraid of ghosts (especially after Edison) if he needs it.
The Mighty Flinknar 20th Mar 2018, 5:41 PM edit delete reply
I'm feeling bad for the ghost girls, even Edison, but I can't really think of anything we could actually do to set things right.
Fishbulb 20th Mar 2018, 5:46 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Try to tell the ghosts that you're here to help and see if they can point you to any documents related to Incident F or Experiment Odin. Maybe try to convince them that you want to help Tesla, and are looking for a way to save Faraday if it's possible.
Leafia_Barrett 20th Mar 2018, 5:52 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
This. Tell the ghosts we want to help. We want to help Tesla, and maybe even find a way to bring Faraday back. Ask them if they know anything that can help us do that.
EDIT: Alternately, offer to have Dr. Finch do it, or maybe even come ourselves if neither of them feels comfortable with the situation anymore?
Archon 20th Mar 2018, 6:05 PM edit delete reply
Power source huh?
Might not be that bad an idea.
If we find notes on the subject, might be worth looking into.

Likewise, getting them to be a bit more coherent might be doable with something deeper in the facility. Had to get the three ghosts to the lab somehow.
Archon 20th Mar 2018, 6:06 PM edit delete reply
Oh, and it might be worth checking for ghosts around the town somepoint before we establish a base expansion there.