Comic 819 - Check around outside

Posted on 20th Mar 2018, 2:00 PM in No Easy Way Out
Check around outside

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 20th Mar 2018, 2:00 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You ask Dr. Finch if he could take a closer look around outside. He's almost on it before you even suggest it.

He examines the device mounted to the wall nearby.

"This looks very similar, if not identical, to the electronic lock on our original door. I suspect this door could be switched in the same fashion, though that could become confusing very quickly."

He stops, holding his hand out for a moment.

"The rain has a distinct heat to it. It's not burning strongly enough to concern me, but I wouldn't recommend drinking it."

He takes a closer look at the police box, getting a slight smile.

"As I suspected, the police box is fixed to the wall... the inside hollowed out to disguise the entrance to the bunker. Crude, but clever."

He walks out further, trying to see what lies around the bunker. He adjusts his glasses as he reaches the edge of the wall.

Bunker E appears to be on the surface of the planet, specifically in a small town. Dr. Finch watches the world for a moment, but the more he looks around, the more the conclusion is clear: the town is empty. Windows are boarded up. Cars are old fashioned, rusting, and abandoned. Despite the slightly acidic rain, plants overgrow a lot of the buildings. You spot a few birds hiding from the rain, but otherwise, the small town is... well, a ghost town.

"The air feels dense, but perfectly breathable," Dr. Finch states. He turns and begins making his way back to the bunker door. "With the pollution being this light, I believe the town isn't especially close to any major cities; it may be elevated, as well, perhaps in the mountains somewhere. We may have to do some traveling the old fashioned way, but perhaps one of these broken down vehicles is less broken down than the others. I'm remaining optimistic that this place emptied out for financial reasons, and not due to some horrible plague or... bomb testing, or what have you."

Caius, not content to idly stand around, presses forward just a little... sneaking a peek into the bunker proper.


image

Comments:

BunnyMuffin 20th Mar 2018, 2:23 PM edit delete reply
Two ghosts? Oh no! Try to speak with them, and keep ahold of the door to bolt if need be.
PurpleKetchup 20th Mar 2018, 2:25 PM edit delete reply
Damn, missed the update. From previous page...

From their notes, they found a ghost that was a conglomerate of (at least 3) personalities, then split them into single entities. They isolated a shy girl (Tesla), best ghostgirl (Faraday) and mischievous Edison.

Then they fucking killed Faraday. Might not have been on purpose, groundbreaking science happens at a price. Her 'sisters' reacted entirely appropriately considering this.

...
I want to release Edison from her canister in her previous room. That's probably what the circular panel on their rooms' panel is for. Faraday's glass wall is busted, but Edison seems intact. I want to communicate with her and help her mourn properly.
We'll have to see if we can find that document 40b, so we learn what kind of sewing stuff she prefers, although she might have linked them with the terrible experiment...

Hug her canister when you have the occasion.


Also, those ghosts look like nerdy researchers. Edison's first victims I guess ?
Twyll 20th Mar 2018, 3:46 PM edit delete reply
It's possible that they're Edison's first victims, but then, who put Edison back in containment? It's also possible that the nature of the work just created echoes of them, because they were working with electricity in a way that was conducive to ghost-making.
Mochi 20th Mar 2018, 4:19 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
bad idea. she's a manifestation highly inclined to be mischievious and she has killed people in the past. even before what happened with faraday, she was deemed unreliable and dangerous. this isn't a matter of "helping her mourn properly". she's a murderer, plain and simple. if we let her out, she will try to escape, and she will try to kill us. she's not a little girl -- she's a left-behind imprint of brain activity that happens to be highly inclined towards cold-blooded murder. letting her out of her canister is a stupid idea.
Wote 20th Mar 2018, 5:03 PM edit delete reply
Yeah. Let's let sleeping ghosts lie unless we have a damn good reason to do otherwise.
Memo 20th Mar 2018, 7:48 PM edit delete reply
Memo
I agree, and preferably lie in a deep deep hole on Mars.
That girls is scary!
Twyll 20th Mar 2018, 2:25 PM edit delete reply
Huh, guess the researchers ended up being subject to the same phenomenon they were studying. I guess Caius should maybe try saying hello, very politely and carefully?

Alternatively, he might want to leave, grab a bucket of water, and then come back. Just in case one of them turns out to be hostile.

Finch should grab Baby Red Jr. and see where the abandoned village is. If it's still habitable, we could maybe just move people there, although they may not be happy with a lack of electricity and running water and such. (We could get water filters for them to deal with the probability that local water sources are tainted by the acid rain.) Maybe we could even get local utilities fixed up a bit.
Leafia_Barrett 20th Mar 2018, 2:30 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Seconding this.
Wote 20th Mar 2018, 5:01 PM edit delete reply
Thirding.
PurpleKetchup 20th Mar 2018, 2:29 PM edit delete reply
Another random guess is that experiment Odin is what those energy columns are. They probably empower the ghostly EM imprints and let them stay visible (also likely boost their abilities).

Probably best left alone for now.
undeadDreamer 20th Mar 2018, 2:29 PM edit delete reply
Caius say hi.
Archon 20th Mar 2018, 2:32 PM edit delete reply
Oh, now thats really something.
If our group starts getting large enough, we could use the town as an expanded base of operation.

Also, those ghosts could be very nice.
If they're coherent enough to communicate peacefully, anyways.
Crestlinger 20th Mar 2018, 2:59 PM edit delete reply
Ghosts of doctors past. I wonder if they would react to seeing a certain Canister rolling by...
Portal In Time 20th Mar 2018, 3:28 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
I really like the idea of starting up a bit of a homestead for those who need relocation. Let’s bring a phone over here and use our GPS to check out where we are, our distance from the nearest inhabited location, that sort of thing.

Also Caius, grab a squirt gun or something while you’re in there, just in case, but let’s otherwise be nice to the ghosts.

Do we still have that super soaker from chapter 1?
Mochi 20th Mar 2018, 4:13 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
i'm pretty sure we threw it at the printer monster? not 100%, but even if jane had kept it, chances are it's either at michelle's or at finch's, which are both locations we probably shouldn't go.
pkrankow 20th Mar 2018, 5:02 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
We might have a good place to bring the PJ's door when we liberate it from the warehouse
pkrankow 20th Mar 2018, 5:09 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
If Caius is looking around we need to know about Incident F and document 40b.

These aparitions appear to be researchers and the generator columns appear related.

We will need to confirm the keycard takes us to the same door or we might have overlapping networks...