Comic 786 - Check on Red

Posted on 7th Mar 2018, 9:37 PM in No Easy Way Out
Check on Red

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 7th Mar 2018, 9:37 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You enter your mindscape to check on Red.




You call out for her, but hear nothing back.

There's no one here but you.




You're just about to pull back out when you hear something moving.

Slowly, she crawls out from under the bed.

She starts to get up, but then decides against it, and just lays on the floor instead.

"People are hard. Should've just been a meat wall."

You ask your red what the hell just happened.

"They were trying to pull from your red. Like... a lot. I managed to hold it back until you got the ritual cut off, but a little bit still made it through. Willard was in danger, so... I figured I'd do something with that little bit. I tried to make a body based on your mental image of me, since that's the first thing that pops into your head when you think of your red."

She went through all that for Willard...?

"We did," she says, before catching herself and clarifying. "You did. If something happened to Willard, it would have upset Dr. Finch. Uggghhh what have you done to us? We just psychologically traumatized ourselves over a rat. Stop caring so much, me."

You start to move forward and help Red up, but she waves you off. Sort of. She doesn't put much energy into it.

"I'm just... gonna lay here for a minute. This was weird, and you're not done yet. The Many was trying to hijack the brain we were making, like, as soon as we started making it. I don't think that thing's helping the church out of the goodness of its heart, I think it wants a second shot at taking over you. The Many's range is limited... yours isn't. If it can control you, it can make you control everyone under your control. There's... an idea there, but we're too tired and too busy to think about it. Jot it down for later. Also, check your cat. That's not really me, that's what your gut instinct would be telling you if you weren't so caught up in worrying about me.

You need to get all this emotional stuff together, you."

Comments:

undeadDreamer 7th Mar 2018, 10:03 PM edit delete reply
Let's try to blood The Many.
Xylas_Incarnum 7th Mar 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
... that seems to be playing into The Many's hands. it's mind is stronger than Janes, which is the whole problem. We don't want to give that thing a door inside. we want to burn it with fire then compact the ashes into bricks and burn them again.
Swagner 7th Mar 2018, 11:53 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
I kinda think it's not a 2-way street like that; so far, even people dying isn't overwhelming feedback (unless you count emotionally). In fact, if that were a risk, we'd already be screwed, because they already have a bunch of Jane's blood. Sure, it's spilled all over the floor, but still.

The way I see it, when Jane gives orders to someone, the signal goes from her brain, through the red, to their brain; vice-versa when Jane perceives through someone else. We've already proven that the Many can't control the Red, we escaped it the first time by handing decision-making to Red.
Guest 8th Mar 2018, 1:06 AM edit delete reply
Blooding creates a link with a strong, but not infinite, tilting of the scales in our favor, amount of blood and amount of will power control these imaginary scales, the people we control don't have will's strong enough to combat the blood, The Many might, and I don't think that's worth risking, i think killing The Many is our best choice. Remember when future us controlled us because she had the same amount of blood but more will? That could happen again, except last time future us wasn't malicious
Madd 7th Mar 2018, 10:05 PM edit delete reply
Madd
First move Red onto the bed, then lets consider if we can blood the many without everything going horribly wrong.
Twyll 7th Mar 2018, 10:14 PM edit delete reply
Sometimes you just wanna lie under the bed for a bit. If she wants to stay there, let her.
Baron11704 8th Mar 2018, 1:09 AM edit delete reply
If we blood the many it'll be our willpower+our blood vs. The Many's willpower, whoever wins gets control over the other, with normal humans, usually their willpower isn't enough to cause issue, but The Many is Many people with Many wills, if they all work together like last time, then we might be the ones getting controlled. It's not a risk worth taking
Frission 7th Mar 2018, 10:08 PM edit delete reply
Frission
Hug, then check kitty. *nod*
Twyll 7th Mar 2018, 10:15 PM edit delete reply
Or maybe like, pet her hair, since she's at a kinda awkward angle for a hug, being under the bed and all XD But then check cat, yes.
Frission 8th Mar 2018, 12:36 AM edit delete reply
Frission
Jane: "I know we're both entirely inside a psychic construct within my mind, but have pats." *pat pat*

Red: "So you are self-aware of how weird you are to me. Okay then."

"... I didn't say stop patting."
pkrankow 7th Mar 2018, 10:42 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Beds are more comfortable than floors, so help Red up, and down.

Note, Jane does not go to where "the Many" is until it is rendered safe.

If Red says check, then check. Red is much more analytical than Jane so even blowing it off as emotional it still has weight.

Check Willard too.
Blue_Elite 7th Mar 2018, 11:25 PM edit delete reply
I actually think we should not hug/help Red. I think the whole, "physical" thing is rather traumatizing for her and, in this one instance, we should just leave her alone to let her recover and collect herself. It's been a rough few days for her.
On that note feeling bad about Red probably transfer emotions to her and makes her feel bad, so we should probably try to put it out of mind. We'll make today an ice cream day to compensate.

Check on cat per Red's instructions. If all is good we can continue negotiations with the church members. Looks like we'll have to send a, "representative," if we want to meet in person due to The Many.
Portal In Time 8th Mar 2018, 12:06 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Let's check our cat. And Willard.

Then diffuse the situation with the cult, and inform Finch about Willard being safe.

I love our red <3
Crestlinger 8th Mar 2018, 12:19 AM edit delete reply
For an endgame then: Contact Grizwald, draw out Thale, load The Many in a dumptruck and dump it on Thale then pulverize the lot.

So apparently the comments section = gut instinct. Nice to have clarification on that, now check up on the cat(has Mocha been decided on yet or are they still unnamed?)