Comic 784 - Get on the phone

Posted on 7th Mar 2018, 5:07 PM in No Easy Way Out
Get on the phone

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 7th Mar 2018, 5:07 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You ask Mom's red if it has any thoughts on this.

"I am unfamiliar with these esoteric practices men have devised," speaks the mouth on the wall. "However, if I have understood correctly, this 'magic' has, at most, pulled material from a red. If they've adjusted their techniques to accommodate you, they may well be capable of siphoning from your red. That being said, you are not entirely your red; you reside in, and identify as, your human shell. Their spellcraft is not likely to account for that. This cult's idea of success may very well split you in twain."

You send Willard down the blue pipe. His little claws slip down the length of it, and he tumbles down to the area below--managing to slow his descent, at least, enough to not be hurt by it. Under the rest of the piping is styrofoam tiles, and beneath that... you can hear the chanting more clearly.

"I really don't think this is a good idea!," shouts a female voice, but she can barely make herself audible over the cult.

"I swear if you let me go," says a different, male voice, "I won't tell anyone. I haven't seen anyone's faces, I'm not even in the right neighborhood..." You recognize the voice as the one that was asking for directions upstairs, earlier.

You head outside, and motion for the phone from Fuse. He hands it to you.

You tell the cultist on the line that if they want freedom from Thale, you can offer that, but you ARE the thing they're trying to summon and you're not going to subsume them. You are way, way past the whole stretching thin and drinking deep bit. The most their ritual can accomplish is getting them all killed, possibly crushed by tumorous masses or something else horrible... but getting absorbed into their god or whatever is completely off the table. If they want your help, they can discuss it with you personally--but this ritual needs to stop.

"I-..." the cultist starts to say something but then stops. "I can't say for sure if you're--" but then he stops again. You hear his breathing change--become uneven, and odd sounding. He starts to mutter, whisper to himself, but you can't make out what he's saying... and then suddenly, he's back on the line. "Oh... oh my word, it is you. The... the Many has confirmed it, you-- it's actually-- you're the--"

You hear hurried footsteps, a sound like something heavy being moved... and then knocking. Rapid, but normal knocking... then louder, harder, then the cultist shouting, "You have to stop! We have made a mistake! Many, please, make them stop!" He's not talking into the phone, he just... still has it with him while he slams on a door. "The ritual must be stopped!"

You check on Willard. The ritual continues. Wherever the one cultist is knocking at, the robed figures conducting the ritual can't seem to hear him. If the Many is trying to stop them, it doesn't seem to be taking, not yet. The atmosphere in the room shifts, the air feeling heavier. Blood starts to pool from the floor, spreading outward from the middle of the ritual circle.

Comments:

Nayru9572 7th Mar 2018, 5:31 PM edit delete reply
Welp, looks like it's time to risk it and have Willard cause a commotion. Maybe drop onto a cultist's leg and then start racing around? I hope he doesn't get hurt.
Waddle Dee 7th Mar 2018, 5:34 PM edit delete reply
Alright Willard, now's your time to shine. Get him down there safely and start doing the most distractingly un-ratlike things possible - knock over candles, roll in blood, thrash wildly, whatever it takes to convince the cultists that he's a sign.
Leafia_Barrett 7th Mar 2018, 5:48 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Um... Yeah Willard I think you're going to need to help us out here. Just please try not to die in the process. Um... Try to get the cultists' attention in a very not-ratlike way, yeah. I dunno, maybe dancing.
pkrankow 7th Mar 2018, 5:50 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Yes, have Willard write a message, like "Jane is on the phone" or "Freedom from Thale can be yours. Stop and talk"

Or just

"STOP"

Likely convincing seeing a white rat spell.
PurpleKetchup 7th Mar 2018, 5:54 PM edit delete reply
We need a safe spot for Willard to hide on ground level. If it can see one, have him wreck the ritual candles, topple them and carry one away to safety. That will be enough for a diversion, but not enough.

Does Michelle still have her truck and how fast can she drive Jane down as close to the church as possible before the Many interferes ? Jane should sit in the open rear, in case something terrible happens in the meantime.
The cultist on the phone is receptive and not faith-blind. Bloody miracle right there. Keep listening to his end of the call in case he resumes talking to Jane.
Frission 7th Mar 2018, 5:58 PM edit delete reply
Frission
Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES! RAAAAAAAAAAAASK!!! D:<
Cuttlefish 7th Mar 2018, 6:06 PM edit delete reply
What are the chances one of the cultists is Zene’s mother? We could try getting the cultist to put the cellphone on speakerphone with Zene and his dad yelling on the other end.
PurpleKetchup 7th Mar 2018, 6:20 PM edit delete reply
I have a clear inkling that Zene's mother is the initial sacrifice, bound to the pipe there (against her will, at that). The dude asking for directions was just extra gravy to put it nicely.
Cuttlefish 7th Mar 2018, 6:29 PM edit delete reply
Ah, dang, you’re probably right!
Cuttlefish 7th Mar 2018, 6:06 PM edit delete reply
What are the chances one of the cultists is Zene’s mother? We could try getting the cultist to put the cellphone on speakerphone with Zene and his dad yelling on the other end.
NiQ 7th Mar 2018, 6:09 PM edit delete reply
Aaaah, being caught up is nerve-wracking!!

Man, I'm totally distracted by that ladder, but if Willard can steal a candle, setting a robe on fire might make for an excellent distraction...? Maybe?
BunnyMuffin 7th Mar 2018, 7:00 PM edit delete reply
Go, Willard! Use confusion!
Madd 7th Mar 2018, 8:12 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Willard it's your time to shine, drop in and tell them to stop, by writing it on something and that we can free them from Thale.