Comic 783 - Try to contact the cult

Posted on 6th Mar 2018, 5:28 PM in No Easy Way Out
Try to contact the cult

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4.86 (7 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 6th Mar 2018, 5:28 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You warn everyone to step back. You're... pretty sure the cult is trying to summon you, and you don't know what that's going to be like. You make sure that you have a gun on you, and syringes in your first aid kit.

You take Crease's phone, and attempt to call his wife--

--and realize you're not getting any reception in the bunker.

"Toss it to me," Fuse says. "I'll step out and make the call. If you're gonna like... get sucked through a blood portal or something, we should maybe have that not happen in the middle of the city."

You toss the cell phone to Fuse, who heads outside.

You take a second to enter your mindscape and talk to your red... however, you can't. It feels like trying to open a locked door. You ask Red what's going on.

"I don't know!," she shouts, her voice slightly muffled. "Whatever's going on it needs to stop!"

You turn your attention to Fuse, outside with the phone. He's made the call, but... the person on the other line is not Crease's wife. It seems her phone has fallen into the hands of another member of the cult.

"I'm telling you," Fuse says, "whatever you guys are doing in there, you need to cut that shit out. If you wanna talk to her, we can just like... set up a negotiation like normal people."

"Our shot at this is very limited," replies the cultist. "I have no way of knowing if you're sincere, or another agent of Enyo walking the planet. We cannot trust anyone but ourselves. There is nothing wrong with what we are doing, as far as I can tell."

"Uhh, yeah," Fuse counters, "you're not gonna be thinking that when like... a meat monster eats your whole stupid church. This is not the sort of thing you wanna be goofing around with, these are powerful forces and they will crush your ass if you do this wrong."

"What do you think it is that we desire?," asks the cultist on the phone. "We want to be swallowed. We want to rejoin the First Womb. We want the goddess to span wide and subsume, as the scriptures foretell. We thought Enyo would do that... but we were merely being used. We are ready to become one with something greater."

Fuse is stunned, silent for a moment, before finally shaking it off. "You guys are fucking nuts."

You tell your group that negotiations are, uh, going poorly.

"We still have Willard there, yes?," Dr. Finch asks solemnly. "Is there a chance the ritual could be interrupted?"

"I dunno if that's a great idea," Michelle comments. "Sword guy botched his ritual and it got weird. If they're really tryin' to summon the whole Blondie and they screw it up, what's gonna happen?"

"So we either let 'em do tha thing," Caius replies, "or we mess with tha thing and risk makin' it worse."

"They've only been free of Thale and genuinely interested in summoning her for..." Dr. Finch pauses, considering, "at most, a day or two. I'm obviously no expert on magic, but I'm somewhat concerned about how well this ritual is put together in the first place. Desperation and magic do not sound like good bedfellows--this casting may go wrong whether we interfere or not. Taking action could possibly prevent it."

Comments:

Nayru9572 6th Mar 2018, 5:56 PM edit delete reply
I don't like risking Willard, but we might not have another choice. But let's ask Mom's Red what it knows about what's happening, first.
Mochi 6th Mar 2018, 6:00 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
i think we should go out and take the phone from fuse and politely explain that we are not down for voring their entire cult.
Swagner 6th Mar 2018, 6:21 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
It's even worse when you phrase it that way
CiciEnixa 6th Mar 2018, 7:19 PM edit delete reply
CiciEnixa
im crying XDDD I'm half interested in their reactions if Jane actually tells them that over the phone now hahaha
Madd 6th Mar 2018, 7:54 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Agreed, and we should tell them we're not voring, and the way they plan on summoning us will end in them being crushed and not devoured.
Tell them, if their into that they should go to certain art website we all know, as it as plenty of that.
Also, we should tell them you're upsetting the one you wish to summon, and she could walk their if she wanted to. We wish to remain appearing human, at least.
Twyll 6th Mar 2018, 9:15 PM edit delete reply
Honestly, that might not persuade them. I think we should rather tell them that if they want us to vore their cult, they're gonna have to play nice first and stop trying to summon us. We need to learn more about the Many before we can come there and do anything for them.
rufiangel 6th Mar 2018, 9:47 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Oh geez Mochi-yan *cries* XDDD
Portal In Time 6th Mar 2018, 6:22 PM edit delete reply
Vore! Church! Vore! Church!

Ahem. I think we should let them summon us! Of course we wouldn't make them a part of our red, because that would be weird as hell, but we need some face-to-face conversation here. Maybe blood them or something. And get Willard.
skybirds15 6th Mar 2018, 10:40 PM edit delete reply
Honestly, I think telling them we're not voring them will just skeeve them out. Which is hilarious. But not exactly a good thing because we want to talk them out of this.

Anyway, having them summon us is a bad thing, cause they won't summon us-us, as in, Jane and Red, they'll just summon Red. Physically. And Red might not be able to handle it and eat(ahem, vore) everyone or die or curl into a ball and cry or something. Magic is an inexact science, probably.
lil Joshu 7th Mar 2018, 3:53 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Choice is blooding them or Thale keeping them. The latter is worse. Just because they get added doesn't mean we have to force them to do anything.
Leafia_Barrett 6th Mar 2018, 6:44 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
We need to figure out a way to explain to them that no, this won't make them "one with something greater", this will make them a smashed pile of gore in the corner of the room for no reason.
BunnyMuffin 6th Mar 2018, 6:45 PM edit delete reply
Uhhh what if they’re using Crease’s Mom as a sacrifice? We need to know get Willard down there asap and see what they are doing.
Twyll 6th Mar 2018, 9:30 PM edit delete reply
I think the point is they're using *all of them* as a sacrifice.
pkrankow 6th Mar 2018, 7:50 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Name drop Thale. They want freedom from Thale and we can offer it. The first thing to do is stop the ritual and set up a meeting like flesh and blood inteligent beings.
Madd 6th Mar 2018, 7:56 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Most certainly, tell them if they want freedom from Thale/ Enyo we could give them that.
lil Joshu 7th Mar 2018, 3:54 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Seconded.

We may BE an eldritch horror, but that doesn't mean we have to ACT like an eldritch horror.
Swagner 6th Mar 2018, 9:32 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Is it possible to use whatever ritual they're using to blood-teleport like in the beginning (and maybe get them to knock it off)? Between the gun and syringes, I think Jane should be able to handle the cultists; perhaps even blood them/and or get them working against Thale.
Xylas_Incarnum 6th Mar 2018, 9:37 PM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
Consult with Mom Red for a non human opinion.
Crestlinger 7th Mar 2018, 12:40 AM edit delete reply
Backup plan #2, bring the little red. At the very worst having them stop what they are doing long enough for it to grow fully will allow Mom's red to say hello Properly. Hehehehehe.
At best they have a new thing to worship and crisis averted.
Frission 7th Mar 2018, 3:15 PM edit delete reply
Frission
....for some weird reason I can actually see this working. o_O A meat mouth on the wall may actually appease and/or discourage them from doing crazier things
lil Joshu 7th Mar 2018, 3:47 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Seconded. Just express-ship baby-red there. And since they obviously want to be free of Thale, a box of blood syringes so they're still free of Thale, and then get them to all get the heck out of there before Thale does something destructive.
Blue_Elite 7th Mar 2018, 1:29 AM edit delete reply
It's really hard to negotiate with crazy. But then given the previous conversation we overheard, I don't think they're ALL crazy. If we can leverage freedom from Enyo, maybe we can at least put a halt to whatever it is they're doing.

While the negotiations continue we should send Willard down the blue pipe. Try to find out what's going on so we might get a better idea on how to stop it (or what's going on even).
PurpleKetchup 7th Mar 2018, 3:16 PM edit delete reply
I get the feeling they want to tear Red apart from Jane with that ritual of theirs.

Gently mention that if this happens they can scratch the 'be swallowed by and join powerful eldritch creature' and jump straight to 'be dead yet entirely unswallowed'.
Maybe that'll give them pause.