Comic 782 - Pull back

Posted on 6th Mar 2018, 3:05 AM in No Easy Way Out
Pull back

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 6th Mar 2018, 3:05 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
For now, you tell Willard to stay put.

You check on your cat outside the church; you don't see anything of note. ...Not even the random visitor that was trying to get directions. You're not sure what happened to him.

You pull back to the lab, and hurriedly explain to everyone what you saw.

"Hm hm hm," Dr. Finch says rapidly, trying to think through it quickly. "Patton Thale is likely suffering the same issue you had. This telepath--the Many--is able to overpower his control. Unlike you, Thale cannot disassociate back to the blood."

"The blood, the blood," Michelle whispers, getting a dirty look from Caius.

Dr. Finch continues. "...Which means that Thale has absolutely no control within the range of that... that that thing. This may indeed offer an opportunity, albeit a risky one..."

"It also presents, uh," Fuse says, "whatever the opposite of that is. They've had that brain thing for like two days. Thale has to have realized the church is a dead zone by now."

"But he can't do nothin' about it," Caius replies. "Right? S'not like he can send his boys in to deal with it."

Dr. Finch's eyes widen behind his glasses. "Thale's blooded minions can't attack the church, no--but one of Carpenter's robots certainly could."

"Not to mention," Michelle adds, "Thale can prob'ly afford explosives."

"AND that church is in the lower tiers," Fuse concludes. "Less fuss if something happens to it."

You hear something... like a faint hissing sound. You look around, but no one else seems to notice it.

"Oh, shit," Caius replies, scratching his head. "So this whole thing could go sideways any minute now, then."

"hhhhhh"

"Yeah," says Fuse. "We might be on a countdown and not even know it."

Michelle nods. "I'm also a little worried about... whatever the hell ritual they're doin'. Chantin's bad. We ain't had good luck with chantin' yet."

"HHHHHH"

You ask if anyone else hears that. Everyone gives you confused glances, and shakes their heads.

You suggest trying to get the cult's attention and open communications... quickly, if possible. You ask Crease if his wife has a cell phone you could call...?

"Oh," Crease says as he begins to fish around in his pockets. "She does! I was afraid to call her, since it might mess up whatever you guys were planning..."

Crease pulls out his cell phone, cycling through his contacts until he reaches his wife's number, then hands his phone to you.

"HHHHHHHey," your red finally says, "Something weird's going on. I don't... feel right."

Comments:

Xylas_Incarnum 6th Mar 2018, 3:31 AM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
.... Oh they dialed Jane Red's number through their ritual.
. . . Pick up or get Willard to interrupt the call from their end?
Portal In Time 6th Mar 2018, 3:35 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
theY'RE SUMMONING US, LORD SAVE US

Grab a gun before we leave!

I don't know if our Red has any way of combating the summoning. Check with her, are they trying to pull you through your red and over to their summoning circle? Or are they just pulling random meats from our red?
undeadDreamer 6th Mar 2018, 4:23 AM edit delete reply
A cult is trying to grab you.
pkrankow 6th Mar 2018, 8:04 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Apparently leaving Willard in place was a mistake. The blood is close enough to get affected by this chanting and/or blob.
Madd 6th Mar 2018, 9:00 AM edit delete reply
Madd
Jane/Red grab a gun and some blood syringes, it looks like we're going in.

Talk to the cult about them summoning you, and it would be detrimental to summon you near the brain beast. Tell, them you want to free people from Thale's grasp.

Now if we blood Blobby we override his control without blooding everyone, but it's probably more intrusive.
Nayru9572 6th Mar 2018, 10:25 AM edit delete reply
I really, really don't want to try and blood it.
wierdweblurker 6th Mar 2018, 10:24 AM edit delete reply
wierdweblurker
Tell the rest to stand back. The last time we Red-ported we were unconscious, we're not exactly certain how this'll work.
Nayru9572 6th Mar 2018, 10:26 AM edit delete reply
Maybe give the cellphone to someone else to make the call while we discuss what's going on with Red.
PurpleKetchup 6th Mar 2018, 2:30 PM edit delete reply
Agreed. I doubt the phone will survive whatever will happen soon if Jane is holding it at that moment.

But yeah, Crease should call his wife and mention he's next to the girl they're ritual-tickling (and on friendly terms).
undeadDreamer 6th Mar 2018, 10:38 AM edit delete reply
If we show up Jane absolutely must say "You called?"
Swagner 6th Mar 2018, 11:18 AM edit delete reply
Swagner
It's possible they're not trying to summon Jane, per se, as much as trying to summon an externalization of her Red (hence why she specifically said she doesn't "feel right").
Leafia_Barrett 6th Mar 2018, 11:31 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Welp, this doesn't look like it's going to be particularly optional, so um. Let's be ready to negotiate. They want to talk with us? Let's talk. Be prepared for the worst, yes, but try to work for the best. They're right - Enyo doesn't have their best interests at heart. But, stars willing, we just might be able to. This may be our chance. Let's be ready to take it.
Leafia_Barrett 6th Mar 2018, 11:38 AM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
...Oh gosh, I just had the strangest thought. Are we going to have to rescue our Red?
lil Joshu 6th Mar 2018, 4:16 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Agreed that we should be ready to save all these dudes.
Blue_Elite 6th Mar 2018, 11:55 AM edit delete reply
We should isolate ourselves from the group, JUST in case we are being summoned and said summoning doesn't involve anything particularly pleasant (like say a blood vortex or something).
EDIT: Also we should have a syringe on us. Probably should check on Red in our mental world as well. No idea if we'll be able to see any difference, but who knows?

I say Caius should make the call if he's feeling up to it. Not for any particular communication-skills reason but rather I feel kinda bad he has had to be excluded from all the "fun" due to his brain surgery. Would be nice to give him a task again.
Twyll 6th Mar 2018, 2:49 PM edit delete reply
I think we should probably have Fuse do the call. Caius has many strengths, but talky stuff is not one of them.
AveryCross 6th Mar 2018, 2:50 PM edit delete reply
sounds good to me.
Leafia_Barrett 6th Mar 2018, 3:45 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Oh uh shit we should probably warn the others that we think we're getting summoned or something.
Mochi 6th Mar 2018, 3:45 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
we should probably warn everyone that the cult is trying to summon us. just a thought.
lil Joshu 6th Mar 2018, 4:15 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Okay, if Red is having a problem, there's a problem. Check on her ASAP.