Comic 767 - Hug Red

Posted on 27th Feb 2018, 5:44 PM in No Easy Way Out
Hug Red

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 27th Feb 2018, 5:44 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You hug Red, and thank her again.

You also take a syringe out of your first aid kit and fill it with your blood. You give the Proto-Juries the sample of your blood. You explain that you can somewhat "see" through it, and that you want them to have it so you can help keep an eye on their bunker.

You head back to Bunker A.

"So," Fuse says as you walk in, "The audio from the camera was less than stellar while our robot was hiding... but we sent the clip to Lydia, and she managed to clean it up some. The smell guy definitely knew someone was there, but his friend talked him out of doing anything about it--they figured it might be too dangerous to mess with if they didn't have to, said they should just report it to someone named Ms. Voclain. They didn't suspect an intruder, either--they just thought it was one of the boxes being weird."

"Well, that's somethin'," Michelle replies. "Nice to know they ain't in a hurry to go openin' random boxes."

"That's if Ms. Voclain don't get curious," Caius adds.

You report what all you learned--mostly that the warehouse may be owned by a shell corporation of Thale's, but Gesenai and Macland aren't sure about it.

Fuse nods. "I talked to Lydia... her and Grizwald aren't sure, either. Lydia's done a lot of digging on places Thale's company owns, but... there's not much outside the city on the list."

"Thale 'owns' a lot of places through Shirai," Michelle says. "Shirai mighta' had the most property, but I bet she ain't the only one Thale was workin' that way. He's prob'ly got a lot of people buyin' up storage places, warehouses, old factories an' stuff for Thale's use. We could try to follow the money--figure out who all under Thale's got property outta town."

"He tends to stay detached," Dr. Finch states, "via numerous layers. We'd need to cast a wide net... people working for people who work for Thale."

Caius shrugs. "We got a way into tha warehouse, don't we? We can mobilize--unless Thale's got his own magic door there, he don't got a way to move his biggest guns in there in any hurry. We could prob'ly jus' bum rush tha place through the bunker door, save ourselves tha detective work."

"We honestly don't know if he has his own 'magic door,'" Dr. Finch replies.

Michelle nods. "Yeah... like, normally I'd be with you on this, Caius. We could just straight rush that warehouse through Bunker B, guns blazin' an' all that--I'm sure security's good, but it ain't gonna be that good. Problem is, we don't know what else Thale's got there. They could have a bomb stored in that place for all we know."

"We don't even know if it's Thale's," Fuse adds. "I mean, for sure. It's probably Thale's, but... that'd be about our luck if we stormed the place and it was just some random goofs buying up Zone 50 leftovers."

There's a brief break in the conversation... before Zene speaks up.

"Have... you guys figured out a way to get Mom back yet?"

The silence picks back up as your group looks at each other.

You bring up a possible option: when you were fighting the bladed man, you sort of 'disconnected' from yourself, piloting your own body from the perspective of your blood. It kept you from being telepathically controlled; you were able to override commands with your own.

"You ain't goin' in there by yourself," Michelle says. "It's too risky."

"But..." Dr. Finch begins, "she's able to control other people in that fashion as well, yes? Yes. She could stay back and focus purely on controlling one of us, forcing us to act regardless of any commands we'd be receiving from our psychic enemy."

"That sounds messed up as hell," Caius says. "We'd just be puppets at that point."

Fuse considers it further. "Can you even juggle multiple people like that...? I know you can give basic commands to one person at a time, but... constantly overriding telepathy for a bunch of people at once might be harder."

You agree. Trying to control yourself over the commands of the church's mind thing was difficult--trying to do that for multiple people might be substantially more taxing.

"So ONE of us might be goin' into that church alone," Caius says, "and relyin' totally on Blondie to do tha heavy liftin' from back here at tha bunker. I don't like it."

There's another pause.

"I'll do it," Michelle finally says. "If that's the best plan we got... I trust Blondie."

Comments:

Twyll 27th Feb 2018, 7:04 PM edit delete reply
I'm less than enthused about the idea of sending one of our friends in alone. If anything, I'd prefer to send something mindless first-- can we make a combat model Sanguine, or multiples of them? Just treat it like a tower defense with us as the attackers-- send in robots one at a time (because presumably we can't control more than one at once) to soften up their defenses?
undeadDreamer 27th Feb 2018, 7:08 PM edit delete reply
We are hurting for intelligence. Michelle may trust us enough to try but I'm not sure I do. Maybe the group should just spend some time trying to come up with options.
dudecallmecool 27th Feb 2018, 8:50 PM edit delete reply
blood robots.
Madd 27th Feb 2018, 8:54 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Send in a cat infiltrate to where Blobby is, I don't want Michelle to go anywhere near that thing until Blobby is shut down.

Can we stuff a bomb in a stuffed bird, and detonate it remotely? Lets make one of those to a cat to drop in front of Blobby, lets not however leave the cat in the blast radius.

I'm a little agianst sending a blood bot in, as they'l know it's us and blow it to bits.
lil Joshu 27th Feb 2018, 9:38 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
I don't like this plan.

Here's a plan I like better...

Send Zene's mom a letter.

"Congratulations, Madame!

Your husband won the office betting pool, and your family has won an all expenses paid vacation to Hawaii. (Honestly, a bunch of us offered to give him our tickets if he won, after we heard what happened to his son, we figured it'd be best to get him and his dad out of harms way for a few weeks). Enclosed is your ticket, we went ahead and already gave them theirs, and they'll meet you there."

Then, meet the Missus in Hawaii.
Frission 27th Feb 2018, 9:52 PM edit delete reply
Frission
That assumes mom is ever in control of herself at all at this point. Slim to low odds it'll work either way if they're expecting a rescue, they'd see through pretty quickly.
Frission 27th Feb 2018, 9:50 PM edit delete reply
Frission
If, -IF-, we let Michelle go through with this, we're buying her top of the line armor and weapons first. No half measures. We've got money. It's only as valuable as what it's used for. Keeping our people safe is the most important thing.
Leafia_Barrett 27th Feb 2018, 10:43 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
If Michelle isn't decked out in better gear than Thale's personal bodyguards all combined, there's not a chance in hell this will happen.
Blue_Elite 28th Feb 2018, 12:51 AM edit delete reply
Agreed. Michelle should be made into a one (wo)man army.
Full body-armor is must.

Then I'm thinking "delay" weapons, stuff that takes a while to trigger so that if Brain Beast does pass a command through somehow, we can undo the action or just toss the item away.
Molotovs and grenades (not sure if we can get any of the latter) come to mind.
Also we should get a fresh first-aid kit for her as well. Not only could it be useful for her, we may have to prevent Zene's mom from being killed as well (on that note, if there's any room left on Michelle, giving her the dart gun with blood darts would be good). A flashbang might also be useful in that regard as Thale will almost certainly position Zene's mom in front of the Brain Beast as a shield.
Fishbulb 27th Feb 2018, 10:39 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Perhaps a more scientific solution to the telepathy problem is in order? Like synthesizing alcohol or melatonin or some other chemical to put telepathy blob to sleep?
Madd 27th Feb 2018, 11:15 PM edit delete reply
Madd
We might as well permanently take out blobby, anything we would use to put it to sleep would involve us get just as close as we need to kill it, and probably take just as long.

A cat or a blood drone could blow it up, then we can think of ways to take care of the church.
lil Joshu 28th Feb 2018, 4:49 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Why don't we blood some mobile fungi or plants? No brain to control means immune to brain control.
pkrankow 28th Feb 2018, 10:44 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
A can of ether?
Terrabrand 28th Feb 2018, 3:11 AM edit delete reply
I agree with the idea of going to brainstorming first.
Archon 28th Feb 2018, 2:19 PM edit delete reply
Nope. No meat puppeting.
Better options anyways.
Namely, a blood golem.
Or, rather, one blood "human".
Gonna need a tub though.
Lot of sand, too. Or cement.
Oh, and a mask/set of clothes.
Something to let the finished golem be disguised with.
Arm it right and by the time they catch on it'll be too late.