Comic 737 - Get in the hummer and go

Posted on 13th Jan 2018, 6:10 PM in No Easy Way Out
Get in the hummer and go

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 13th Jan 2018, 6:10 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You hear sirens in the distance.

"Uhhh alright," Fuse says, "I know you're having a moment but we need to go."

Fuse puts the fire out, and you... er, collect what you can of the remains. Fuse shakes his head, but he doesn't argue. You hop in the passenger seat, and Fuse returns to the back seat with Zene and Crease.

Michelle peels out of the park, doing her best to avoid crossing paths with incoming police. "Somebody sniiitched," she says.

There's a tense silence in the hummer as Michelle tries to out-maneuver the attention of the cops. She has a fairly good grasp of where the nearest police would be stationed, and what their approach would probably be--she alternates speeding down certain roads, waiting calmly in an alley or two, and then speeding back out once she's sure police have passed. You see a few cop cars go by, but they don't seem to see you.

You check on the raven near the truck. The truck's tire has been replaced, and the truck is on the move. You have your raven follow it for now... it seems to be moving lower, likely returning to wherever the contents of the trailer were being kept prior to all this.

"You alright?," Michelle finally asks.

You nod. Today was supposed to be an easy day.

"Right?," Michelle says with a grin. "Get some work done, fix the space suits, talk to Zene's dad... they can't just let us take a break, can they?" Michelle glances at Zene and Crease from the rearview mirror. "You guys doin' alright?"

Crease still looks stunned. "I'm still... wrapping my head around it all, I guess. I saw it with my own eyes, I'm still having trouble believing it. Monsters, and blood cults, and... all of it."

Zene shrugs. "Yeah, well... start believin'. I got friends with mutations, but that dude was on somethin' else."

"What was that dude on?," Fuse asks. "Like, you were right. That wasn't some Carpenter shit, that was new."

Magic.

That's the only explanation you have. Unnatural geometry inscribed beneath his skin--magic circles drawn on his insides, activated with whatever chant he was doing. Mom's red mentioned having its power siphoned from, when it was larger... amounts so insignificant that Mom barely noticed.

What the bladed man was doing was pulling from a red. A tiny gateway, opened briefly, in an attempt to get his arm back... the spell mis-casted, most likely, resulting in the madness that started growing out of his body. It wasn't your red. It was someone else's, you know, because the hatred almost overwhelmed you. The Church of Enyo likely has some way to tap into... well, Enyo. The Mars Creature. The red that Lasker was pulling his mass from, and the red that Thale is perhaps trying to find a way to tap into safely. The only other red left besides your own (or the external red your mother left behind)... at least, if Mom's red was right. The mouth said once that Mom only calmed down once the other entities like her were dead.

Zone Fifty made one of them un-die, and now people are reaching into it with rituals.

"So Carpenter's got killer robots an' flesh eatin' viruses," Michelle begins, "Reigns' got contract killers, Thale's got money and a ton of resources, and the church has got straight up wizards."

"And Hope's got a TV show," Fuse adds.

"What do you all have?," Crease asks.

"Blondie," Michelle says.

Fuse smiles, fighting back a laugh, but nodding. "Yeah, pretty much. And a sweet hummer, a robot leg, two test tube badasses, a bunch of leftover government junk... am I missing anything?"

"The Finch," Michelle concludes with a brief grin.

You all end up driving around the city for a little while. There are a surprising number of police out, not all of whom have labeled vehicles--Michelle spots most of the "undercover" cars. You're not sure if the hummer was identified or described, but Michelle tries to stay low and avoid passing too close to any police anyway. Between the incident with the semi truck and what happened in the park, there's no telling what story is spreading around the city.

Eventually, you blindfold Zene and Crease, and you return to the bunker. You're extremely cautious, but it doesn't seem like you've been followed by anyone.

Comments:

wierdweblurker 13th Jan 2018, 6:45 PM edit delete reply
wierdweblurker
Let's grab the mama and get those three searching for a book of forbidden lore.
Wote 13th Jan 2018, 6:47 PM edit delete reply
Let's give everyone a chance to settle down, catch a breather, probably smoke an assload of Level or something, and then sit down with Zene and Crease and figure out what the fuck we do with them.

Also, we should get someone looking into Geoangular Control and if the library we know has it has any means of sharing its contents with us before this becomes my "Carthago Delenda Est".
Swagner 13th Jan 2018, 6:48 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
It might not be a bad idea to ask both friendly reds how to avoid flipping out again next time Jane's brain needs to be turned off (once we get back to the base). Also, we ought to ask Crease what he thinks is the most effective way to get his wife out from under Enyo's thumb (since at this point, both he and Zene are in it deep).
Waddle Dee 13th Jan 2018, 6:50 PM edit delete reply
Take a breather and assess your personal damage. That was some pretty harsh stuff you just went through, and it's probably not a good idea to teach your blood that it can control your brain.

(Also, first comment! :D)
Nayru9572 13th Jan 2018, 7:03 PM edit delete reply
Can we ask someone to check the news via their computer or phone? Or even both? To see what actually is being said about what's happened.
After that we might also want to contact Lydia (and by extension Griswald for the podcast) to tell them about what's happened. Maybe Jury as well, just in case the feds are looking into it.
Speaking of which, maybe someone should check in on the Proto-Jurys, and properly welcome Crease to the bunker.

EDIT: Also, keep checking in on the raven following the truck, so we know where it's headed. But make sure it stays far away enough, it's not like a truck's easy to lose sight off (and let's hope I didn't just jinx it).
Wote 13th Jan 2018, 7:09 PM edit delete reply
Monitoring the truck is definitely a good thing. We're reasonably sure they weren't able to follow us once swordhands died, but I'd like to be sure.
lil Joshu 13th Jan 2018, 7:10 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Time for trainin'.

As mentioned in previous go (and slightly expanded), blood-related tasks to do (imho)...

- Make brain have redundant backups in blood and in red;

- Make backup of values, ethics, memories, sense of identity the primary decision-making system for blood & red.

- Firewall brain (whitelist), to prevent future intrusion.

- Begin saving blood in some tupperware - going to save up material to externalize parts of our red (double check how feasible that idea is though, and pro/con list)

- Talk with Mom's red... see how externalizing your red nearby would affect her. (Rage? Protection? Family-conversation? Some funky merging activity going on?)

- Try to synchronize Blondie's brain, in-body blood, and her red to get advantage of parallel processing (triple reaction speeds ftw)

- See if Mom's Red could provide any kind of additional security for the entrance. Seriously, we might be being watched closer, and the moment someone reports "Hey, people are walking through a door to nowhere", we're going to have problems and moving the door isn't necessarily an option. Although stealth is on our side at the moment, once that cover is blown, it will stay blown, and we better have proper defenses up.

- Not blood-related, but get in contact with Judy. We need someone high up that we can trust. Like world-leaders level. They need to know that Thale's trying to take over the minds of everyone, and that we're trying to stop it. Maybe set up a meeting?

- The blood rage... we now know we're susceptible to it, see how one identifies the other and we can use that rage as a tracking mechanism to prevent the enemy red's resurrection. Seriously, our only three advantages over Thale are
1. Our Red is active, not a copy. (The biggest one)
2. A sweet-arse base.
3. Actually being decent people instead of being out to jack everyone's personalities (much better for PR if word ever gets out.)
Wote 13th Jan 2018, 7:15 PM edit delete reply
Biggest issue I can see is I don't think we have any idea how to do most of those things. Like, at all. Those are very specific things that are well beyond our intuitive approach.

I also don't think we need to go advertising what's going down, either. One, we don't know if Thale's compromised folks at the higher levels. Two, if presented with convincing evidence that shit's hit the fan, what's going to stop them from deciding that the city is going to suffer an unfortunate, sudden nuclear accident?
lil Joshu 13th Jan 2018, 7:21 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Hence, training... this is seeing if we -can- do this kind of stuff.

The Reds are more understanding of the technical side, and at the moment psychic powers are our biggest weakness, something we need to address, and might as well address other stuff while we're at it.

As far as higher-level blokes, of course anyone we contact we'd test first (maybe see if they trigger rage or can say Thale's name.)

As for sudden nuclear accident, this is currently the seat of Thale's power, he wouldn't sacrifice it for power reasons, we wouldn't sacrifice it for ethical reasons. (And a nuke wouldn't necessarily stop us if we're in base).

As for not advertising for other reasons, that's working more in Thale's favor than ours, as people aren't as resistant to trying Queen, are willing to do business & meet with him, etc.
Wote 13th Jan 2018, 7:30 PM edit delete reply
I'm not worried about Thale nuking us. I'm worried about a third party who just found out that there's a secret war between two eldritch monstrosities (from their perspective) deciding to nuke it from orbit because it's the only way to be sure.

As for the rest, "training" doesn't really mean anything if we have no idea how to do that safely. The Reds may not wind up much help there, because they may not understand that we like being human. So, right now, our only lead I can see is digging up Geoangular Control and trying to get at things from that direction. If we get too ambitious, we're running some heavy risks at the moment.
lil Joshu 15th Jan 2018, 3:41 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
We can't understand without trying to understand.
Twyll 13th Jan 2018, 8:00 PM edit delete reply
We definitely need to do some self-care once we get back to the bunker. We need to keep checking in with the raven, of course, but otherwise we should try to do happy things that emphasize our human side's comfort, and also involve physical sensation and emotion-- eating ice cream, snuggling our fluffs, maybe some mild exercise. Hopefully this will help anchor us in our human body after stretching so hard.

While Jane does this, everyone else should be working on Geoangular Control and any possible similar material, as well as monitoring to see what kind of news is getting out about our battle in the park and such things. We should let Lydia and Grizwald know about the events that just happened ASAP, too. We might also want to call Jury and ask her about magic. And finally, Finch should get to work analyzing the bits of Edward Swordhands.
pkrankow 13th Jan 2018, 9:00 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Jane needs to brush Red's hair and give Red a fresh uniform.

This is part of establishing Red with similar values as Jane. Meditation may help.
Blue_Elite 13th Jan 2018, 9:17 PM edit delete reply
Clean up after that whole vomiting blood incident (are blooded clothes machine washable?). Also give a hug to our Red who was MVP this round; maybe have some ice cream with her if possible (mind cream? mice cream?).

Check on Poe to see if the police gather the remains of Swordarm(s) or if they actually properly secure the area like a murder (I'm assuming it'll be Queen'd cops and they'll just clean the area).

Check Edgar periodically to see how far he/she is able to follow the truck.

Check on Allan and if the church is inactive, decide on if he/she should stick around or go to Zene's house to check for Zene's mom. I'm assuming Crease and Zene will need to pick up some things from home so might as well have it begin scouting there just-in-case anyway.

Otherwise make a plan about getting Zene's mom blooded with the group.
Crestlinger 14th Jan 2018, 12:11 AM edit delete reply
Fuse and Michelle repair Fuse's foot, as required
Jane talk with Red/Mom's Red
Fill Finch and Caius in on Everything
Check on the birds, follow that truck as able
Contact sources and see if some hint of a location of that book can be found.
Rest, relax, and recuperate, just had a Literal out of body experience after all.