Comic 734 - Try to talk to him

Posted on 11th Jan 2018, 11:13 PM in No Easy Way Out
Try to talk to him

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4.83 (6 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 11th Jan 2018, 11:13 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You tell Michelle that he's here. She begins to speed toward where you are.

As the man with the swords comes into view, you shout to him, trying to talk to him. His mouth begins to move, but he doesn't speak loud enough--you don't know what he's trying to say, or if he's actually saying anything at all. You keep trying to communicate as he draws nearer... and nearer... and then begins to run, taking off in a dead sprint toward you and Fuse.

"Uhhh... Blondie?," Fuse says nervously.

You both begin to open fire with your pistols. Without syncing with Michelle, neither of you have great aim, but... something is off. You're confident that one or two of your shots should have hit. Fuse manages to sink a bullet into the man's shoulder, but he just keeps running. You watch yourself more closely, and realize... you're not quite aiming at him, even when you try to be.

You remember what Zene said to Michelle.

"You tried to shoot him, but your aim was all screwed up."

One of the mutants that was with Prophet at the hospital--the day he died. You've thought about him on and off for a while. That mutant seemed to be able to make people invisible, but... there's no way for a normal mutation to be able to cloak others, none that you can figure out. It would have to be a psychic mutation--not real invisibility, but a mental aversion to being seen. Like putting a psychological barrier around someone, a big red flag that says "Don't notice me!"

You suspect the bladed man may have a similar aura about him--something that mentally forces people not to actually hurt him.

Except--

Fuse is doing it. He hits the man again, this time in the gut. The bladed man keeps running.

It's not on the attacker, it's on you. You and Michelle. Which means it's not coming off the bladed man... it was likely the thing in the truck. Among the other commands it tried to hit you with, it must have planted some kind of subconscious aversion to attacking this guy. You're not sure how far this extends--Michelle is probably going to try and ram him with the hummer.

Michelle is approaching fast.

So is the bladed man.

As he gets closer, Fuse is able to him more easily; a bullet to the chest, another to the stomach. Fuse empties the clip, the gun clicking loudly after the last shot fires. He's not slowing down. You're not sure if Michelle will reach the mutant before the mutant reaches you, but it's all happening very quickly.

Comments:

LytharWolfe 11th Jan 2018, 11:30 PM edit delete reply
LytharWolfe
Run. Fucking run. If Michelle and us can't attack him, we have to run, or let someone else drive the hummer, cause I don't think she'll be able to hit him.
Steve 11th Jan 2018, 11:32 PM edit delete reply
And now I'm worried that Michelle might hit us...
Madd 11th Jan 2018, 11:32 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Run and set him on fire. Use Red to override our aversion to shooting this fucker. Force Michelle to overcome the aversion and hit him.
BobTheTerrarian(NSI) 11th Jan 2018, 11:33 PM edit delete reply
This situation is getting a tad bit out of hand, maybe tell Fuse to run far of to the left and us to run far off right, forcing the “Blade Bob” to choose between us and Fuse, hopefully he hesitates and gets a bit confused.
rufiangel 11th Jan 2018, 11:38 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Well, thank goodness for Fuse >____>

He might have to be the one to primarily deal with this guy, since he's free of any weird subconscious influence averting his aim. At least he has a sweet robot leg, pyrokinetics and a gun -v-;;; maybe two guns, if we just go ahead and give it to Fuse. EDIT: Just re-read and realised oh yeah, Fuse emptied his clip. Give him our gun pronto.

Get out of the way of the hummer - let Michelle know her aim may suddenly veer off due to psychic shenanigans so she needs to watch out - and I think get behind Fuse. >_> And set that guy on fire, because he's clearly noooot willing to talk.
wierdweblurker 12th Jan 2018, 12:02 AM edit delete reply
wierdweblurker
Alright. Fall back a bit, take a minute to get any outside influences out of your head red, and let Fuse take the lead. We went to the trouble of getting him that cyberleg, dammit. He's going to kick somebody! Preferably somebody burning.
Xylas_Incarnum 12th Jan 2018, 12:05 AM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
Kneecaps Fuse, shoot his legs and knees! Also a do a few to the shoulders if he's got any spare mags on him. When something like this is shrugging off torso shots try to remove its mobility.
Crestlinger 12th Jan 2018, 12:48 AM edit delete reply
Well if he isn't noticing Fuse this is perfect opportunity to employ one recent fanart's suggestion. Be ready to dodge Michelle just in case.
Blue_Elite 12th Jan 2018, 12:51 AM edit delete reply
Let's try some matadoring. Hand Fuse our gun and step to the side and slightly behind him. If we can get Swordarms's attention, we can try having Fuse use the forbidden technique: ロボットホームレス人キック (robo hobo kick) right when he goes by him and then shoot Swordarms while he's either down or at least hopefully stunned at close range. Also level Fuse so he can try igniting Swordarms.
Quick Edit: Also we should notice Fuse if he pulls it off. You know, just because.

Otherwise try to use the various items (trees, fence, benches, etc.) around there as shields to buy time until Michelle gets there. Also be prepared for Michelle to not only miss Swordarms, but end up aiming for you. It'd be good to warn Michelle of that possibly as well so she'll know to either try and hit the breaks or not to turn so sharply she flips the hummer.
undeadDreamer 12th Jan 2018, 1:15 AM edit delete reply
It's uncomfortable but try to override the control of the mind control thing using your own. Give Fuse the safe level, tell Fuse to start running backwards and light that thing on fire. Then run.
undeadDreamer 12th Jan 2018, 1:21 AM edit delete reply
Fuse use your mad hops
Mochi 12th Jan 2018, 1:28 AM edit delete reply
Mochi
try and override the subconscious aversion by specifically ordering michelle to run him over. either way, we should start running and trying to keep a distance between us and swordhands mcgee. give fuse our gun if we have any ammo left. he needs to aim for the knees if he can -- can't run if you don't have kneecaps.
Nayru9572 12th Jan 2018, 5:02 AM edit delete reply
Can Fuse kick him without being hurt? If so, have him try to kick it at Michelle's truck and tell her to hit the brakes. It'll still hit with force, but there's no risk of Michelle 'missing'.
Otherwise (or maybe do that anyways), give Fuse our gun while we split up, making sure Michelle won't hit us.
Portal In Time 12th Jan 2018, 11:04 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
We should 1) Tell Fuse about our situation (along with the others), and hear my out here, but 2) try to command ourselves with our blood. If he’s affected our human brain, then actions performed WITH our human brain will be all screwy. Though The Blood isn’t a human mind - it transfers its thoughts INTO a human mind to perform commands. It was shown we can make this separation of thought more distinct with the car scene, and we can totally get blood controlled by ourselves already from the Error Room, so.. That. Let’s try that. Shooting him while acting through our blood mind.
Swagner 12th Jan 2018, 6:47 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
By extension, doing the same to Michelle (so that she can properly run him over) might also be a good idea.
lil Joshu 12th Jan 2018, 3:09 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Give Fuse the blood syringe, let him fire that.
Swagner 12th Jan 2018, 6:47 PM edit delete reply
Swagner
Seconded.