Comic 731 - Discuss an ambush

Posted on 9th Jan 2018, 9:04 PM in No Easy Way Out
Discuss an ambush

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (5 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 9th Jan 2018, 9:04 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
Aside from the raven you have following the blade man, the nearest raven to the fast food place is the one you have positioned near Rockwell Arcade. You call that one to the fast food place to get another look at the truck.

"So what's the plan?," Fuse asks.

"Dunno," Michelle replies. "We gotta get this guy off our tail, somehow. Or off him. We can't let him follow us back to the base. We try to fight him too low in the city, he could bring in reinforcements. Try to fight him too high and, well... we ain't gonna have nowhere to fight him, unless we wanna storm somebody's mansion."

"Which sounds fun," Fuse says, "but it wouldn't be good for our PR."

You ask Michelle to try calling Jury again. Michelle nods, and starts dialing. You contact Dr. Finch, and update him on the situation.

"Hm," he begins. "Hm hm hm, that is interesting... very interesting. He must be following someone in the vehicle, the question is who. Arranging any sort of an... an an an ambush, or a trap would hinge on that. I'm sure Michelle could deal with him if she can obtain a clear shot, but orchestrating that may be difficult if the fiend is indeed after Michelle, specifically. I'll admit to being mildly suspicious of his behavior--following you in the open, especially to the higher tiers, is a risk on his part. He may take to more stealthy measures as you climb higher to avoid interaction with police that Thale may not have his talons in yet. More concerning is what he's planning--surely approaching you directly would be a massive error? What contingency does this stalker have if you inject him with your blood? Prophet made several efforts to stay out of your reach, and other foes have attempted deception or or or... protective measures. Accosting you with melee weaponry seems like the worst possible idea--what is he planning?"

You're brought back to the hummer by Michelle, who has just hung up her phone. "Bad news," she says. "The feds are tryin' to send Jury back up north to get her systems evaluated. They're claimin' she may have got compromised, but Jury thinks it's just a bullshit excuse to get her outta the way and I agree. Whole thing stinks."

You bring up everything Dr. Finch said, and you discuss setting up an ambush. You suggest finding somewhere empty or abandoned, maybe with hiding places, and isolating yourself to try and lure the blade man out.

"I don't like it," Michelle says. "Finch is right, this guy's got somethin' up his sleeve, and he might not go for you. If I set up somewhere to snipe 'em with the pistol, he might sneak up on my ass. We leave Z and his old man with Fuse, swordstumps might go after them instead of you."

"I could karate kick him," Fuse says, half joking. "See if his dumb swords can cut through my sweet robot leg. We could group everybody but Blondie together. Four of us oughta be able to watch each others' backs."

"And if he goes after Blondie?," Crease asks.

"Then he's already fucked up," Michelle concludes.

Your raven arrives at the fast food place. Local police have arrived, as have a few other people--however, they seem to be working on trying to replace the truck tire. They're not communicating, just... silently going about their tasks, redirecting traffic around the stalled truck. The trailer is still firmly shut, but there's a gash in the top of it where the blade man crawled out. You maneuver your raven some, attempting to peek into the hole--however, you can't get a very good view of what's inside the trailer.

Comments:

Deadly Death Sickle 9th Jan 2018, 9:45 PM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
"Then he's already fucked up,"

Bahahaha!!! I love this. But any way, down to business. If Mr.Blade man does in fact has something up his sleeve we better have a counter, tight alleys will probably fuck us up in the end. If we do have to fight him, a open area like a town square might be better where he can't sneaky sneaks on us but finding out who bladester is tracking might be a good call

Also fuse, there's a ton of different karate kicks: Side kick, axe kick, crescent kick(which there are four variations) scoop kick, front kick, round kick, crane kick, and a jumping variation of each.
BunnyMuffin 9th Jan 2018, 9:45 PM edit delete reply
Hmm... if the thing in the truck has been Queened, then it might be an altered tube cop or something of the like. Maybe a military version? It looks modified, I wonder if it is entirely human, or at least sentient? Can we somehow reason with it, if we can blood it? It looks partially bio-printed.

Also, how about asking Zene’s dad’s permission to like, “look” through his body to find out how they are tracking us. I really don’t think Zene is how they found us, as he has been at base. There is always a possibility though.
Mochi 9th Jan 2018, 10:02 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
okay so, i think swordhands is probably tracking either zene or his dad. back at the burger place, he went for them specifically and ignored jane and michelle until they got in his way.

as far as the truck is concerned, the only idea i can come up with to deal with it is fuse attempting to kick howler and friends out of it's on board computer and then drive it off the side of the city. if he has to get close to it in order to hack it, though, then that plan is obviously not going to work.
Blue_Elite 10th Jan 2018, 1:20 AM edit delete reply
That's actually a very good point about the tracking. We were right there and Swordarms went straight to the burger joint rather than us.
If that's the case, we could try Blondie along with Zene + Crease as bait. Then have Michelle and Fuse pincer move Swordarms when he comes at one of the three most likely targets (and if it turns out to be Michelle after all, we've got the "innocents" out of the way and Jane can try to approach the thing from behind instead).

How attached to the raven are we? We we're not that attached I could see having it "curiously" hop down the truck hole and then immediately fly out once it's gotten a good look (IF it isn't immediately killed by whatever is in there).
rufiangel 10th Jan 2018, 8:30 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
I'll drop in a vote for this particular plan; I really don't want to bring this guy to Jane's home if possible; it's seen enough damage as it is.

I also am kind of attached to our raven ;__; it seems a bit risky... there is probably a better way of trying to check what's in there, I think?
Blue_Elite 11th Jan 2018, 1:09 AM edit delete reply
Perhaps if we get it to quoth, "AZARATH METRION ZINTHOS" it can use dark energy to just open the hole in the trailer. X3

We really should name the ravens. Might I suggest Edgar, Allan, and Poe?
rufiangel 11th Jan 2018, 1:38 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Those are actually the reader names for each of those ravens already XD Mochi suggested the exact same names! Lol.

The only thing is that none of us have kept track of which raven is which, even though we have 3 distinct ravens, they all look exactly the same - which makes it harder to keep track of, as compared to our multi-coloured rats.

We can always start now though, perhaps the one peeking into the truck next page is Edgar.
Blue_Elite 11th Jan 2018, 3:55 AM edit delete reply
I guess I missed that.
pkrankow 9th Jan 2018, 10:09 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Side note, can Dr Finch seal a sample of blood in a decorative glass ampule so it looks like a solid glass pendant suitable for a necklace to give Jury? I realize she will practically never wear it but it provides a comminication path.

Back to the task at hand
The crew hole up armed and ready in a relatively open field while Jane takes a spin around the block, so to speak, in the hummer and sees who is followed. Don't go too far unless Swordstumps is definately following Jane.

The hummer is still not considered expendable.

Alternately drop Jane in the field.
Crestlinger 9th Jan 2018, 11:45 PM edit delete reply
Well there's always plan C: Lead em back to Jane's house if we're anywhere near it and bait the bugger into Mom's Red.
Deadly Death Sickle 10th Jan 2018, 12:13 AM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
Moms red isn't in the house anymore... it's in the bunker
Portal In Time 10th Jan 2018, 12:27 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Mom's red is in BOTH of those places - Their actual "brain" is at our house, but a small section of nerves is supposedly powering the one in our bunker. Home Red is the real one, Bunker Red is their puppet/extension.
Madd 10th Jan 2018, 12:09 AM edit delete reply
Madd
I like the idea of luring it into Jane's house and shooting it.

Also it seems like we're on a timelimit with that truck.

Eh, lets go to the upper tier dump then and shoot the fucker until he keels over and dies.

Then investigate the truck further, see if the telepath is still in there.
Portal In Time 10th Jan 2018, 12:25 AM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
"Then he's already fucked up," damn. This is probably one of my favorite moments in the whole comic, kudos to you.

Uhhhhhhhh.. We could always just group all five of us together, right? Or maybe, we could set up one of us as bait (possibly Michelle, if she's the one being tracked), and just ram the guy with our hummer. Who knows. I'm still unbelievably suspicious, for all we know he could be a cyborg that can split into a dozen mini-swordhand-cyborgs. What's keeping us from just staying in a group of five?

We need to keep Jury, too. She'll be our own little rogue AI <3
undeadDreamer 10th Jan 2018, 12:54 AM edit delete reply
Give blondie a gun at least.
Memo 10th Jan 2018, 12:00 PM edit delete reply
Memo
Do we have the tracker detector in the car?
Because Zene's dad could be carrying a tracker without knowing it.
We could possibly also look for a track able blood anomaly in his blood, if we know what we are looking for.
It could also be that swords-for-hands can track radiation, in which case he is probably tracking Zene's dad, whom I suspect is slightly radioactive.
(Suspicion comes from the fact that there was a slight delay, from we blooded him, until we could control him.
Portal In Time 10th Jan 2018, 12:09 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Ooh, radioactive decay. That’s a really good point, we should as Crease if it’s usually enough to mean something, though I don’t think that we have to waste any time on checking his system for anything. We should check Michelle, though, if we have the time. She was the only one who had been directly attacked/maybe probed.

Now that I think about it, his radioactive blood would explain why SwordHands could detect them in the alleys without being able to see them.. it’s not like SwordHands had a chance to probe them beforehand, right?
lil Joshu 10th Jan 2018, 2:28 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Finch has a point about melee attack seeming really stupid... maybe he's got some kind of countermeasure in those blade arms? Maybe there's an attempt to inject blondie with something?
Portal In Time 10th Jan 2018, 3:20 PM edit delete reply
Portal In Time
Maybe he’s just really fast
Nayru9572 10th Jan 2018, 8:41 PM edit delete reply
Let's not bait it to the house: we'd have to convince it to crawl through the vent in our parents' room, and Michelle's too large to fit through that anyways (not to mention the mental scarring that place might inflict on Zene and Crease, or if they'd even be safe).
The monster being after one of our two charges does sound pretty sound, so how about we go with Fuse's suggestion of grouping everyone but Jane together (or maybe leave Fuse or Michelle with her just in case). The others could go to an open area, while we wait nearby for an ambush. Keep at least one group in/near the car though, so we can make a quick getaway if we're being ambushed instead.

As for the raven... maybe have it get closer to the hole, but not go in? If something inside tries to attack it bystanders might see it, so that sounds safer than sending it in.
rufiangel 10th Jan 2018, 9:54 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Actually, I did think about seconding Fuse's idea but I didn't think it'd be much of a help if I did XD;;; but since you've done so... I'll throw in another vote here too >_>a lol