Comic 729 - Bring a raven over

Posted on 8th Jan 2018, 10:47 PM in No Easy Way Out
Bring a raven over

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 8th Jan 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You and Fuse get in the hummer. Fuse gets in the back seat with Zene and his dad.

You get the raven that was perched atop the fast food place to start approaching your location--its mind doesn't seem to have been affected by whatever was in the truck. You wait, keeping a close eye on the blade guy.

"So, uh... what's happening?," Fuse asks.

Michelle snickers, shaking her head. "We been tryin' to figure that out ourselves. Prob'ly psychics. What're we waitin' on?"

You direct Michelle's attention to the bladed man on the nearby building.

"...Oh. Oh, hell, how did I miss that?"

"Probably psychics," Fuse replies.

The raven draws near. You keep it at a fairly safe distance, hopefully where your stalker won't notice it. You pull out of the parking lot, and you start to move down the road... making quick, successive turns to try and shake him, while keeping tabs on the raven to see how he responds.

Oddly, the man with the blades seems to keep up just fine. Not physically, though he is incredibly fast, and is easily leaping from one rooftop to the next... but even when he loses sight of you, he seems to instinctively know which direction you're in. You bring this up to everyone in the hummer.

"Tracer?," Michelle suggests.

You don't think so. The man isn't using any sort of device to follow you, he just... seems to know.

"Maybe he's got a robot brain, like that dude at the power plant," Fuse says.

The caretaker of the power station moved awkwardly, though. His walk was stiff, and uncomfortable looking. The way your pursuer is moving is definitely abnormal--almost animal-like at times--but it's definitely not stiff.

"So what, he can smell us?," Michelle asks. "Or is he psychic, too?"

Fuse crosses his arms. "If that guy got bone swords AND psychic powers, I'm gonna be pissed."

"I don't think he had hands when I got a look at him, if that helps," Michelle replies. "It'd be hard to do computer stuff if you had swords for fingers."

"Fair," Fuse replies.

"How can you be so calm about this?," Zene's dad asks. "That psycho's chasing us, and you're all cracking jokes."

"It's the only way to cope after a while," Fuse responds.

"Yeah," Michelle adds. "That, and drugs. You ever do any drugs, Mr. Zene's Dad?"

Zene's dad almost cracks a smile, wiggling his hand a bit. "When I was younger, sure. They do piss tests where I work now, though."

Comments:

Xylas_Incarnum 8th Jan 2018, 11:06 PM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
Give Zane's dad the low down about queen and blood him anyways. better safe than sorry.

Besides, nothing saying his wife didn't queen him somehow.
Twyll 8th Jan 2018, 11:09 PM edit delete reply
I guess we need to lead Edward Swordhands here to a place where we can hopefully fight him safely. I wonder if Jury has any ideas on what we can do?
undeadDreamer 8th Jan 2018, 11:16 PM edit delete reply
Never Queen then?
rufiangel 8th Jan 2018, 11:24 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Let's ask Zene's dad for his name XD

Uhhhh yeah this swordhands is bad news. Mayhap Finch May have some ideas how swordhands is tracking us? If there's a way to throw off psychic links we need to know like, yesterday. Could we disrupt it somehow?

I am absolutely still so happy whenever Fuse and Michelle bounce off each other like this, it's so perfect XD also, Fuse, you're now a pyrokinetic hacker with a cybernetic combat leg. Come on bro XD
Memo 9th Jan 2018, 1:38 AM edit delete reply
Memo
Yea, introductions are in order.
Also. Ask if he has found any marks on his body, that could be from a injection in his sleep.
Wote 8th Jan 2018, 11:31 PM edit delete reply
Heading uptier seems like a good idea. Gets us away from any Queened eyes that may be relaying info to swordhands. If he's tracking us some other way—like smell or something in or on our car—it at least narrows the field. We should definitely watch for signs of confusion or breaking off as we go, though.

And yeah, agreed about getting a name other than Zene's dad and at least giving him the truncated version of the whole "By the way, there might be a secret war on and you're in the car with the Devil" deal.
undeadDreamer 8th Jan 2018, 11:31 PM edit delete reply
Queened people could be watching and relaying your location. Maybe head for the upper tiers.
Mochi 8th Jan 2018, 11:35 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
we go up. we go up and we see how he deals with that. higher tiers mean fewer vantage points for him, and wider spaces and richer blood means fewer people who are queened.
undeadDreamer 8th Jan 2018, 11:40 PM edit delete reply
Let's hope our vehicle has a higher top speed than the monster. At the very least the monster must be consuming monstrous amounts of oxygen and other nutrients to get such a high speed. If it's alive it still needs fuel.
Wote 8th Jan 2018, 11:52 PM edit delete reply
We at least know it can't move as fast as our car. Or, at least, it isn't inclined to do so.
Madd 8th Jan 2018, 11:37 PM edit delete reply
Madd
To the upper tiers, maybe go back to our house.

We need to lose him at a false base pronto.
Baron11704 9th Jan 2018, 12:54 AM edit delete reply
We experienced this sort of effect to a much lesser extent with Edison, and as much as I hate saying it, we need to take a stop at a convenience store and pick up some tin foil. And make some stupid hats for everyone. Also we need to have everyone carry a tinfoil packet with them, because this is starting to become a real issue, we were on autopilot for a moment there, and I don't like that, if we are losing control of our mind's in the presence of psychics then that's a major issue. Not only are we losing control of ourselves, but our comrades may become influenced through us
Baron11704 9th Jan 2018, 12:59 AM edit delete reply
Also somebody pointed this out, this is a human sized object that is as fast as our hummer, animate or otherwise this thing needs energy, moving that fast is going to use a lot of it, and so far 'magic' hasn't been established as a thing, all the things we can't explain is just sufficiently advanced technology masked as magic, so this things going to have to rest/refuel somewhere, so I say we give this hummer a full tank of gas and hoof it to the high tiers
skybirds15 9th Jan 2018, 1:35 AM edit delete reply
It's in this sort of situation that having a sniper in a bell tower would be best. Pow, no mutant, no way for the mutant to stop it.

Guy's covered in bandages and the like, right? So he might have a second dude taped to him or something. Or he's psychic. The multiple voices thing might imply that this fellow, or the psychic, is a collective of psychics instead of one, as in the psychics melted into nearly one mind like Thale or they are syncing like we can to boost their power. I can't think of a way to promote bickering between the voices, though, unless we can talk to them. Then we could reason, bribe, or intimidate depending on personalities. Or pull a Bilbo with the trolls and just make them argue about the best way to kill us.
Blue_Elite 9th Jan 2018, 2:14 AM edit delete reply
Try to get Jury on the phone again. Maybe she'll know if this is yet another Zone 50 project or not and if there's a way to combat it.

Otherwise heading up-tier would be a good idea.