Comic 693 - Start a brain transplant

Posted on 17th Dec 2017, 6:34 PM in Ghosts
Start a brain transplant

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 17th Dec 2017, 6:34 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
The nurse leads you to the operating room. Along the way, you ask her to say the name Patton Thale.

"Patton... Thale? Sure. Patton Thale."

Michelle helps you take Caius's new body out of the tube and lay it out on one table, with the current Caius on the other. You decide that Michelle should wait right outside the operating room, while Fuse stays in the hummer. With his leg hurt, there's no reason to keep him standing around for an unknown amount of time, and from the hummer he can watch if anyone's entering the building.

You bring one of your ravens to sit atop the hospital, and watch the back door.

You start working. You cleantex and level Dr. Finch to help deal with his anxiety, both because of the situation in general and due to you being present for the surgery. Though Dr. Finch prefers working by himself, you want to be on hand in case absolutely anything happens.

You and Dr. Finch agree to use a large dose of your painkiller ability, rather than putting Caius under with the hospital's anesthesia. It'll be slightly uncomfortable for him (he'll be unhurt, but may be slightly aware of what's going on), but with Thale having hackers at his disposal again, the chem dispensers could be comprised. It was one of the first things to go wrong at your old hospital.

You consider attempting to imitate general anesthesia to put Caius under, since you've previously undone the effects of anesthesia--however, shutting the brain off like that at the wrong rate or in the wrong order could be disastrous, and there's enough that could go wrong already.

Lastly, you sync with Dr. Finch--not so you can gain his knowledge, but so he can gain yours. The amount of time you've spent traversing neural pathways and otherwise navigating the human brain gives you a degree of insight that Dr. Finch believes will be helpful. Dr. Finch is a surgeon, and has done a great deal of studying the brain... but he is not, technically, a brain surgeon. Between the two of you and the cleantex, however, Dr. Finch is still very confident this will work.

Once you are 100% certain that Caius can't feel anything, you and Dr. Finch take a deep breath... and commence the procedure. You fix the position of the patients' heads, and begin inserting a lumbar drain to start removing cerebrospinal fluid.



Fuse waits patiently out in the hummer. He's slightly frustrated that he can't be in the hospital while all this is going on. Like Michelle, he's fully convinced that someone will try to interfere. It's not just frustration about his leg, though--it's the fact that he's helpless. He trusts you and Dr. Finch to save Caius... but he's still restless, having to leave it in someone else's hands at all. He doesn't like having to sit and wait while Caius's life is at stake. He stays aware, fidgeting, almost hoping to spot something amiss so he'll be able to take action... but he sees nothing of note. It's late, and no one is about.

Your raven continues to watch the back door as you work. You don't get to check it very often, but its demeanor hasn't changed at all when you do. It hasn't noticed anything.

Michelle waits just outside the operating theater, keeping tabs on the hall. Every once in a while she catches a glimpse of a nurse passing by, but most of the hospital staff steers clear of this area. She has her pistol on her, and ready, just in case.

A great deal of time passes, and you make steady progress in the transplant. It's shaky, but working--you and Dr. Finch are very hesitant around the hospital's equipment, and a full brain transplant is new ground for pretty much anybody. You have to stay focused on using your powers almost constantly, compensating for things the chem dispenser or more experienced neurosurgery would account for.



It's faint. Distant. Muffled. Michelle has better hearing than most. Down the hall, in one of the elevators--it sounds like a scream, maybe a floor and a half up. The start of a scream, but then it stops.

Comments:

Lythar 17th Dec 2017, 7:08 PM edit delete reply
We go on high alert. Now. We should have been on high alert from the get go.
Twyll 17th Dec 2017, 7:15 PM edit delete reply
Fuuuck. Do we know how many people are being treated in this hospital, what the staffing levels are? I'm really hoping there's not a lot of collateral damage, the last thing we want to do is get a bunch of innocent people killed...
Madd 17th Dec 2017, 7:25 PM edit delete reply
Madd
I say send Fuse to investigate, but be prepared for him to need to leg it at the first sighting.
Michelle needs to be on high alert right the fuck now.
Everyone else needs to stay calm and keep on with the surgery.
Twyll 17th Dec 2017, 7:29 PM edit delete reply
Now that Howler's free, it's... disturbingly likely that he's going for bioprinter hack 2.0. Can we have Fuse come in and, like... counter-hack?

Edit: Also, since we're already doing a Level effect, can we extend that to Fuse with hopefully not too much mental effort?
Madd 17th Dec 2017, 7:29 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Fuse should try to protect the hospital from hacking actually.
Auron 17th Dec 2017, 7:34 PM edit delete reply
He's got an injury that makes it difficult to leg it.
Twyll 17th Dec 2017, 7:43 PM edit delete reply
Nah, he can leg it, he just can't *legs* it.
Madd 17th Dec 2017, 8:10 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Revision, Fuse needs to bunker down in the Hummer and keep all the hospital systems on our side. Preferably moving the hummer to a more defensible position first.
Auron 17th Dec 2017, 7:34 PM edit delete reply
Michelle, gun ready and if you have one syringe ready. We really need a dart gun. Hide behind a vending machine or something if there is one so you can get close to whoever might be infiltrating before they can do anything, or if you have no syringe just so you have some sort of cover.
Blue_Elite 17th Dec 2017, 9:44 PM edit delete reply
Wote 17th Dec 2017, 7:43 PM edit delete reply
There's a good chance this is a false alarm. Like, there's a lot of reasons people scream, so whatever we do should probably focus on being ready for trouble/determining if there's trouble but not losing our cool.

Michelle should probably hold her ground (and maybe adjust to where she can have cover if she needs it) while Fuse comes inside to help figure out what's up and help with it.
Madd 17th Dec 2017, 7:54 PM edit delete reply
Madd
But, what stopped the scream. I'm just hopping for normal people, and not fucking monsters.
Wote 17th Dec 2017, 7:55 PM edit delete reply
Someone realizing "Wait, this is a hospital, I shouldn't be screaming" would probably be enough. :P
Twyll 17th Dec 2017, 8:07 PM edit delete reply
It's also possible that that was somebody getting Queened, which we can deal with, at least.
rufiangel 17th Dec 2017, 7:53 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
I think we need to call Fuse in for backup, with a roll of level ready just in case.

Get an idea of the layout of the hospital, pronto. How many floors? Is it just the one bio printer? Do we have more than one elevator? Where's the stairwell?

Any way of predicting how much longer the surgery on Caius will take?
Blue_Elite 17th Dec 2017, 9:42 PM edit delete reply
Send in Fuse so we got one person from each "side" of the problem area.

If those chairs aren't bolted down, Michelle should either make a barricade in front of the elevator or one for herself to shoot from behind; depending on if the sound came FROM the elevator or just the general direction of it.
If it came FROM the elevator, if either Fuse is able to hack the elevator to stop it or Michelle able to jam the door, that might buy us a good chunk of time.

We can apologize to the hospital staff after-the-fact if this ends up being overly-paranoid jumping the gun.
lil Joshu 18th Dec 2017, 3:55 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Let our fire-starting buddy know; somebody just tripped the Fuse.