Comic 520 - Consider your options

Posted on 18th Oct 2017, 6:42 AM in Doors
Consider your options

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 18th Oct 2017, 6:42 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
Part of you wants to put on Michelle's jacket--maybe take Caius or Michelle with you--and pop into Bunker B. There's not much you could do there just yet, but it would be nice to actually meet the androids, and satisfy your curiosity about what's in the tubes.

Part of you is also worried about what's in the tubes, and whether or not it could react to you, specifically.

Part of you just wants to go to bed.

Part of you wants to go find Fuse's visor and put it on Baby Red.

You make it as far as the main entrance before running into Fuse, who no longer looks like a mummy (and is in full possession of his visor).

"Oh, wow," Michelle comments. "I figured you'd still have to like... have the skin staples bandaged up or somethin'. You look good as new."

Fuse nods. "Yeah, same. Skin grafts have gotten a lot fancier than I thought they were."

"And the skin from that old bio printer, it uh... held up?," Michelle asks.

Fuse grins dryly. "Some of it came out a little off, but Dr. Finch said he made it work. I'm taking his word for it, because the so-called 'uncooperative skin' got put on my back."

You fill Fuse in on what he missed, and you show him the lists. Michelle mentions the parts she recognizes, and Fuse nods.

"Yeah," he says, "I think we can dig all this outta the wrecked parts of town. Maybe not a ten years' supply, but we can fill out this short list."

You also mention that you're thinking of popping in to see the Proto-Juries before you go to bed, you're just not sure if you want to do it yourself, or send someone else.

"Well," Fuse says, "Dr. Finch is still in the infirmary getting mad at the bio printer if you wanna get your back fixed up. You could probably send a couple of people into Bunker B while you do that, unless you just really got your heart set on meeting the robots personally."

Comments:

rufiangel 18th Oct 2017, 7:21 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Wow, unexpected update time! *_* I... I hope you get some sleep after this, MM XD;

Yay! Fuse is fixed up good as new! :D (I love that you mentioned he has his visor on, to Jane's random mild prankster tendencies' disappointment XD) (EDIT2: Is it just me or is his new skin kinda pale -v-) And oh! We can get our back fixed up! :D

Hahaha, seeing Jane in that oversized Michelle jacket is super cute lolol <3

And just reading this update in general made me laugh XDD so that's what it looks like when readers can't make up their mind LOL

I think I'll put in a vote to do as suggested, then. Fuse (if he's up to it after the skin grafts) and Michelle and Caius can *all* go traipse into Bunker B with Willard as their ambassador to just take a glance around and say hi to the Proto-Juries, while Jane goes to get her back fixed and see if she can help in any way regarding the frustrating old-school bio printer XD

Though I guess we'll have to give back Michelle's jacket. Darn. XD (Ah well, there's always tomorrow.)
AlphaDragon 18th Oct 2017, 8:17 AM edit delete reply
Just for "craps and grins" I think we should ask Fuse to borrow his visor.

Other than that it sounds like a good plan, but I would have whoever hits B to wipe off the tubes and check in them.

Actually... on second thought... all our people are blooded so would be carrying our blood into the bunker. Any chance we can reach Griswald and have him go in since he doesn't have our blood?
rufiangel 18th Oct 2017, 8:26 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Technically Willard had our blood and nothing reacted, so I think it should be fine? XD;
Blue_Elite 18th Oct 2017, 9:26 AM edit delete reply
Yep, agree with the two-ravens-with-one-cracker approach. Let's get fixed up and the others can do just a quick visit with the proto-Jurys. Maybe even just flatout ask them what's in the tubes.

Then we can all head to bed.

P.S. Oversized jacket is adorable and awesome (adorsome?) but be sure to return it to Michelle for the trip.
lil Joshu 18th Oct 2017, 10:32 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Actually, easy solution...
Get a few of the easier items on the short list, open doors, send it rat with a note to let them know you have at least some, and will be trying to get more, they can come to the door, get the supplies, and talk to them and ask questions directly before entering (they can either step just out if they're comfortable with that, or we can talk from opposite sides of the door.)
Bluhx2 18th Oct 2017, 8:02 AM edit delete reply
Bluhx2
IMO we should do rest because it's getting close to night time right? Rest is always good, and rested minds are better at decision making.
rufiangel 18th Oct 2017, 8:26 AM edit delete reply
rufiangel
But mooom I'm not sleepy yettt XD

(I'm totally joking, if people vote to rest that's fair lol)
Macheman7 18th Oct 2017, 10:44 AM edit delete reply
Macheman7
Fix your baaack. And, y'know, any other cuts, scrapes, or bruises or whatever you want fixed that can be done easily enough at this time.
Sleep while you're doing that, if possible, and have Fuse and Michelle go do whatever in Bunker B. Caius can stay around to make sure our sleepy butt gets in bed, and keep Finch secure.
If our rat is still in a given bunker, move him to bunker A, if we're still sleeping there, if he's not doing something important. Or maybe just move him outside.
Uh... Congratulate Fuse on his sexy new skin that looks totally the same as his old skin. Ask Dr. Finch about the 'uncooperative' skin later.
lil Joshu 18th Oct 2017, 10:47 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Thought... well, a few thoughts actually...

As far as understand, the street our door is on is mostly abandoned. However, if people do watch, people constantly coming in and out of a secure door to nowhere will be -awfully- suspicious. During shopping trip, we should pick out a cheap army surplus tent and put it up behind the door. Then instead of looking supiscious, it just looks dumb, like some squatters are trying to make their tent laughably more secure, and people who want to "follow" us through the door, will just peak under the tent. We could even throw some sleeping bags and some kipple in there to make it look lived in.

At that point, heck, we can freely experiment with opening the doors from the -other- side to see if that does anything different or maybe use the doors in general without it being obvious from a street observer.

Or instead of squatters, we decorate the tent up with lots of hippie stuff, so if anyone -does- find our place, we start trying to get them to join in 'peace not war' protests. Either they're interested, and we start cutting down on the fighting in the lower tiers, or they're not interested and leave us alone.
Twyll 18th Oct 2017, 10:54 AM edit delete reply
I think we've been mostly using the raven perched outside the door to make sure that nobody's around when we enter and exit. Having a tent or lean-to on the other side is a pretty good idea, though! Much better than my earlier "park a truck in front of it" idea, which would really only look MORE out of place.

Maybe instead of a tent, we could do a lean-to or shoddy shed made out of scrap or something, so it looks more like something that a squatter would have access to. I wonder if anyone in our crew has any shoddy-construction abilities... Maybe Michelle or Caius has some squatter in their memory history somewhere?
Steve 18th Oct 2017, 2:54 PM edit delete reply
It might be a good idea to add some subterfuge to this place, because the ravens only would be able to see the obvious, and if someone's hiding in a building watching, we wouldn't necessarily be able to find out about them from the ravens.

Also, what's our current blood alarm set for? Might it be time to change it?
Mochi 18th Oct 2017, 5:29 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
iirc it’s on a raven that is watching macland’s house and is set to tell us if it sees anyone enter or leave.
Twyll 18th Oct 2017, 10:58 AM edit delete reply
Jane looks *adorbz* in Michelle's jacket.

How dangerous is it out there at night? Would some of our blood-friends be able to go gather a bit of scrap under cover of darkness? We do still have a flashlight. On the other hand, I'd really want Jane to be conscious while people are out and about, so we can have her monitor the area via raven or rat to alert the searchers if anyone is approaching. (Hmm, we could really use an owl or something for nighttime recon. Maybe a nocturnal snek.) Of course, if she's not actually being put under for the operation, I guess Jane could focus on that to take her mind off the fact that she's being sliced up and sewn back together :P
Deadly Death Sickle 18th Oct 2017, 12:43 PM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
I think we would know if the tubes would react to us when we send in the rat since we have some of our blood in the rat right?
Guest 18th Oct 2017, 12:53 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, but there may be a difference between the source (aka Jane) entering, and a thrall entering, since a rat takes very little blood to control.
Twyll 18th Oct 2017, 4:01 PM edit delete reply
I think Michelle, Caius, and Fuse each have only one vial's worth of our blood. Finch is the only one who's had a more substantial blood infusion.

Also I prefer to think of them as "bloodfriends" rather than "thralls." We want to be as unlike Thale as possible >_>
Guest 18th Oct 2017, 8:41 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, I was just using the technical term that the others throw around sometimes; but you get what I mean, right?
Steve 18th Oct 2017, 2:52 PM edit delete reply
I agree with the people who say Jane should get her back fixed up. We should try and take care of as much as we can right now. We've been in poor shape for a long time, and it would probably be good to just, chill a bit while we patch up as match as we can. And maybe if possible, remove those extra bones (which I'm pretty sure are teeth adjacent) in Jane's shoulder, if we can.

Because, yeah, we do have like, teeth or something in Jane's shoulder, remember that guys?
Rouge 18th Oct 2017, 3:17 PM edit delete reply
This antique bio printer gave us some trouble with a skin graft, I'm not sure it can be trusted for anything more complex.
Twyll 18th Oct 2017, 4:05 PM edit delete reply
Hmm, on the one hand, it might be *better* at doing eardrums because they're so small and it doesn't have to print so much, but on the other hand, it might be *worse* at doing eardrums because they're so small and fiddly. Plus there are all the structures in the ear that have to have very specific shapes for sound to come through correctly... hmm.

Jane's back should be relatively easy though, since it would probably be a skin graft much like Fuse's but over less of the body (and a more simple area too, no fingers or facial features or anything).