Comic 463 - Get out of the house

Posted on 3rd Oct 2017, 6:37 PM in Doors
Get out of the house

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 3rd Oct 2017, 6:37 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You thank and hug Caius, and you compliment his quick thinking. He shakes his head. "Sync goes both ways. I wouldn'ta been that clever on my own." You give Caius a mild pain killer.

You check the pulse of the fake Caius. He is dead.

You return to Dr. Finch, and you take the baby red back. You explain what happened.

"Oh... my goodness. I see."

You also let Michelle and Fuse know what happened. You ask for Michelle's thoughts on what to do with her impersonator.

Michelle takes a deep breath, and a moment to think about it. She finally just... shakes her head. "I dunno. I really don't. You blood her, she might still be against us... and if the rest of Thale's posse have picked up Prophet's tactics, bein' blooded by you is a death sentence. Like, Shirai wouldn't send people in without some kinda backup plan, right? Cyanide capsules in the teeth, or... they could be a Carpenter bomb waitin' to go off, anything. I don't want her to be Queened, but bloodin' her might make things worse for her."

You walk back out into the hall, where you come across Caius heading back to the living room. He has an armful of your stuffed animals. "We prob'ly ain't comin' back, so I figured y'might want these."

You ask him what he thinks you should do with the fake Michelle.

"If you weren't standin' there at tha time I woulda just broke her fuggen neck. You can blood her if ya want, but we can't trust her."

You decide to take the rat and the baby red and leave. Dr. Finch leaves a note behind with the unconscious fake Michelle: 'Carpenter killed Macland Row, not us. You are being used.'

"I'm sure it won't make a difference," Dr. Finch says, "but it's better than nothing."

You grab the fake Michelle's gun and ammo. You use your raven to check around the house before you walk outside. You don't see any other vehicles, which you mention to Finch and Caius.

"They mighta rented out one of the neighborin' houses," Caius suggests. "Just waitin' for tha right moment to come waltzin' across tha street. Tha people we're dealin' with got too many resources."

You all load up in the truck and take off.

"We still wanna stop by Dr. Finch's?," Caius asks.

"There's a number of things there I could grab that would be of great use," Dr. Finch comments, "but after what just occurred I can't say it would be worth the risk. I defer to your judgement on this one."

Comments:

Mochi 3rd Oct 2017, 7:12 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
i don’t think it’s worth the risk. i agree that there’s a bunch of useful stuff that would be a great help to have, i really don’t think we should risk it after what happened here. we should make sure we’re not being followed and head back to the bunker.
Akasha 3rd Oct 2017, 7:20 PM edit delete reply
Agreed. I wasn't feeling too hot on the idea earlier, but given what we've dealt with /now/? Yeeaahhh, I'd rather we just return to base and make sure no one's tailing us.
rufiangel 3rd Oct 2017, 7:26 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Yeah... What if we hustled reeeally fast, though? Would that make a difference? XD; 5 minute grab-and-dash? He might only be able to grab a couple of things but it'd be better than nothing?
Baeronius 3rd Oct 2017, 8:07 PM edit delete reply
Baeronius
Unfortunately, since the bio supplies are at Finch's place, and the opponents are increasingly using bio combat techniques... It might not be a good idea to abandon the gear we could pull.

On top of that, we now know to keep a watch on the door. A raven down the street could observe for strange cars or people approaching the Lab/PalaceDeFinch.
rufiangel 3rd Oct 2017, 7:27 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Caius holding an armful of Jane's stuffed animals. You're killing me here, MM, that's unbelievably adorableee
AlphaDragon 3rd Oct 2017, 7:55 PM edit delete reply
FanArt?
Kitty 3rd Oct 2017, 8:11 PM edit delete reply
Now we can nestle the baby red in a pile of soft fluffy things to make it feel more secure or something :D
Deadly Death Sickle 3rd Oct 2017, 7:40 PM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
Now would be a great time to pick up supplies, are there any medical supplies we might need? And maybe stock up on a few guns and ammo if we can, and maybe get a few new animal friends( I'm not letting this go anytime soon) like a fish, bunny, a rat, and... cat? Maybe? They can climb well... I guess?
rufiangel 3rd Oct 2017, 7:46 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
I was under the impression that Michelle and Caius brought back a ton of supplies a couple days ago, so we probably don't have to do another supply run so soon.
Kitty 3rd Oct 2017, 8:15 PM edit delete reply
Cats might actually be a good idea. Given how tough feral cats are to get rid of, I imagine the city probably has at least a bit of a feral cat issue, which means there are likely free cats out there for the taking. I bet they're especially prevalent as pest control in the lower-mid tiers-- if you live somewhere near a place full of mutant rats, you're gonna want any form of pest control you can find. Snakes might also be present for the same reason.

Bunnies would probably only live in the very upper tiers, where people have proper yards for them to graze on, though (or be sold in pet shops).

A fish could work well as a sort of security camera at the entrance to our base; we could put it near the door so it can alert us if someone who's not us tries to break in.
Deadly Death Sickle 3rd Oct 2017, 8:37 PM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
Fair point on the bunnies, but right now I can find a 2x2 foot cube of compressed Timothy hay for like 8 bucks, and it lasts a while, other than that tho, they just need water, like about 1.5 cooking measuring cups of water a day depending on the bunny
Kitty 3rd Oct 2017, 9:11 PM edit delete reply
Yeah, the point is that they might be harder to *find*, though. I'm sure they'd be easy to feed if we got them and a bunch of food for them at a pet store, but then where would we *use* them? Their natural habitat only really exists in the upper tiers, and they don't have the same suitability for vent-dwelling that rats do. The ravens we can manage to keep in lower tiers because they can fly and thus evade ground-based scrutiny more easily, but bunnies would look out-of-place near most of the buildings we work with, especially domestic bunnies. And catching wild ones would require a long excursion to the upper tiers.

If we do want to start monitoring someone's upper-tier residence (Gesenai maybe?) at some point, a rabbit might work for that as part of a combined animal surveillance team, but otherwise they're just kinda too niche for right now. A bunny in a cage might work in place of a goldfish, since the maintenance for an aquarium can be a real pain, though. But that would be as a stationary camera kind of role.
Deadly Death Sickle 3rd Oct 2017, 7:42 PM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
Hey morgenstren, is there any info on the amount of moneyz we have?
rufiangel 3rd Oct 2017, 7:45 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Check this page out for the money info.
Deadly Death Sickle 3rd Oct 2017, 8:33 PM edit delete reply
Deadly Death Sickle
@rufiangel

Thank for that, lol
Baeronius 3rd Oct 2017, 7:54 PM edit delete reply
Baeronius
So our characters... need to develop a fundraising scheme soon.
Possibly a backer of some kind.

I know that Jane could completely disguise/transform herself with that rogue healing power... and find a job to support the group with... but that might be a bit extreme?
Kitty 3rd Oct 2017, 8:09 PM edit delete reply
Our funds will probably actually stretch more, now that we have a free place to live. Not having to pay for a motel frees up a lot of cash for other living expenses.
Guest 3rd Oct 2017, 8:18 PM edit delete reply
can we call Gesenai and like... either plead our case to her or go for intimidation? is this an option?
Auron 3rd Oct 2017, 8:28 PM edit delete reply
Just wanted to point out it might be a good idea to analyse the prophet's blood. For that we'd need equipment.
rufiangel 3rd Oct 2017, 8:58 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Oh! We didn't get to see Caius react to baby red XD;; is it because Caius just assumed it was a stuffed doll or something? XD;;; I mean, I know he takes things into stride all the time... but still XDD
Baeronius 3rd Oct 2017, 9:29 PM edit delete reply
Baeronius
He hasn't been in the same room yet?
Crestlinger 3rd Oct 2017, 10:36 PM edit delete reply
Nothing saying thus far that we can't go back to Finch's place After dropping this stuff off, but it Would be a good idea to lay low a bit and assess the current situation.
Guest 20th Dec 2017, 6:22 PM edit delete reply
I wonder if it's a clone situation or if someone just bought two tube cops of their make, though I guess if they're were cloned their original personality would carry over (to some degree, according to griswald it can break), I don't know if personality means they the same memories