Comic 417 - Barricade the door

Posted on 22nd Sep 2017, 3:30 PM in Doors
Barricade the door

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (1 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 22nd Sep 2017, 3:30 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
Michelle slides the locker in front of the door, creating a barricade to buy you some time.

"You can blood that thing, right?," Michelle asks.

You're... not sure. Your blood has to be 'inside' it to gain control. Just injecting blood under its skin layer probably wouldn't count. Would it? And normally, you control a body by sending signals to the brain--if the part you take over can't send signals back to the monster's 'brain,' then you'll end up trying to control the creature like an object--which is imprecise and takes far, far more blood. To gain proper control without putting half your bloodstream into it, you'd need to take over whatever part of the entity is in control of the rest of it. All of its limbs are receiving signals, sure, but they're probably not wired to send anything back.

You tell Michelle that if the thing breaks through, start by shooting it in the eye. You're not... that confident in such an obvious target, but it has to see from somewhere, right?

The monster begins to force its way through the door, a huge blade on its not-a-gun-arm carving through the door. You've definitely seen that before, but this blade is made of metal, not bone. It's even slicing into the locker. The barricade won't hold up for long.

You elaborate more on the situation to Fuse, and start by asking if he could possibly shut down the active surveillance in the hospital. You turned it off manually, but Arvin still hears you and is talking through the surveillance speakers, so he may have overridden the manual controls.

"On it," Fuse says.

There's a brief pause as he does something on your computer... and then he stops.

"Alright, so uh... that USB has room for surveillance footage, but it also has a takeover program like we plugged into Elegance. It should work faster because the security is so much more lax, but..."

He types a few more things.

"Arvin's running his own takeover program. It might take me a sec to override his override, and if I do... well, if I had just shut it off with no resistance, he might have thought he fucked up or you mind whammied it or something. If I straight up brute force his takeover program, he's going to know you have a hacker behind the scenes. You cool with that?"

Michelle tenses as the monster continues to slash and beat its way through the door. Carpenter starts laughing, his voice coming out of the surveillance system and the monster simultaneously.

Actually, not... quite simultaneously.

There's the smallest fraction of a delay on the surveillance system audio, causing Carpenter's laughter to be slightly out of sync. Somehow, this makes it more grating.

Comments:

rufiangel 22nd Sep 2017, 4:07 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Oh damn. I guess we could be dumb and yell "I TIRE OF YOUR INSOLENCE ARVIN I SHALL USE MY ALIEN POWAH TO OVERRIDE YOUR SURVEILLANCE" lol I guess that will totally work right

Bugger. Well, if *Fuse* doesn't mind having someone know-ish, right now we need to get out of this jam alive and we need all the help we can get.

As a side-note how much of the footage have we downloaded so far?

EDIT: Huh. Actually, why IS there a delay? Poke Fuse about that.
Kitty 22nd Sep 2017, 4:27 PM edit delete reply
Sounds like the weaponized Red-a-port might be our best option if we're going to fight the monster with blood. If we can get blood into as "central" a location as possible, or into *something* vital, we can hopefully start extruding Red from it, and that might allow us to breach further into the monster (if the bits we extrude are the stabby kind). as a metaphor, it'd be like blooding someone's eye, then summoning a tentacle in their eye that extends inwards toward the brain so we can blood their brain; not sure exactly how the thing is put together, but we might be able to do something along those lines to it.
woah 22nd Sep 2017, 4:30 PM edit delete reply
look for other escape routes, check on download percentage. We want out of there as quickly as possible.
Cuttlefish 22nd Sep 2017, 4:33 PM edit delete reply
Uh-oh. Uh-oh. Michelle is going to get hurt if we don't force hack, i don't see this shaking out any other way. We need to split Carpenter's attention as much as possible. Once the barrier has fallen, Michelle should go for the eye. Jane should try to get Carpenter monologuing. Either ask him about the mech (and the 'human' components, or ask if he's a traitor or Thale's pet. Do we have a phone or camera we could externally record him with, in case we don't find the data we want here? Meanwhile, while Carpenter's attention is as split as possible, Fuse should force hack. There isn't a way to delay enough to be subtle without serious consequence to Jane and Michelle.
Cuttlefish 22nd Sep 2017, 4:48 PM edit delete reply
If we force hack, we might be able to abuse the delay between the two signals. If we shut down the senses of whatever is playing the voice first (likely the hospital security), then Carpenter might be playing a fleshbeast video game that has a slight delay between input and response. That'd improve Michelle's chances in combat significantly, as long as she keeps moving. If it comes to that, sync Caius' sweet close quarters skills.
Crestlinger 22nd Sep 2017, 4:51 PM edit delete reply
Taunt him. 'You send This reject after us after we mind wiped Macland of everything? I think I'll be taking it Now. Tell Gesenai You're next.' Then hack happy, that Should be enough of a cover and wouldn't divulge anything he wouldn't already know.
AlphaDragon 22nd Sep 2017, 5:17 PM edit delete reply
It's interesting that the audio that is coming out of the monster comes out first... almost like he is nearby... or is the monster...

Have Fuse brute force it, but get Caius ready just in case they trace it, and we will need a new hotel after this.

Since we can't blood the monster we will have to destroy it... Maybe we can use a highvoltage line somewhere with that metal blade?
Cuttlefish 22nd Sep 2017, 5:46 PM edit delete reply
Ah shoot, you're right, it is coming out of the monster first. There goes the delay idea. His very pointed 'human' comment seems to suggest he has turned himself into this thing, but he did call it a drone. He is so nuts i dont know if it makes any difference at this stage.
D 22nd Sep 2017, 5:28 PM edit delete reply
I would go with instant shut-down. Having hacker on our side is obvious anyway since we bypassed scan to enter the room. Also, I don't think we have time for clean hacking.

On the other hand, Carpenter may think we used our blood (do they even know we can use blood on machines? There was a bit of bandage control, but how much they know about our powers?) to control the scanner and crude hacking might leave traces for THEIR hackers (I'm sure they have have the best money can buy), sooo...
Try blasting it through the door?