Comic 1166 - Ask about time gods

Posted on 16th Jan 2019, 10:10 PM in Chapter IX
Ask about time gods

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 16th Jan 2019, 10:10 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
A thought occurs to you.

You look up at Mom's red. Is there any sort of... time god you might be upsetting by doing all this?

"There do exist entities with influence over time," the big mouth on the wall states. "I am not overly familiar with them, I simply know that they exist."

"The tradesman woulda mentioned it, though, right?," Michelle asks. "They said goin' back in time's a bad idea, but they didn't warn ya about... just... messin' with stuff in the red. It shouldn't piss anybody off."

Fuse shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know if we should rely on what the tradesmen offhandedly mention. They don't have to tell us anything we didn't pay for."

"That's... true, I guess," Michelle concedes. "They been kinda protective about us not messin' up too bad, though. If makin' stuff go faster in the red's as big a problem as time travel, I dunno why they wouldn't bring it up."

"If it is any consolation," the large mouth adds, "time behaving differently in the red is natural. Forcing it to progress at a designated rate is new, I must admit, but time has never flowed in the red the way it does outside. That I have never encountered any sort of time entity, with that in mind, should suggest your actions are safe."

"Time entity," Fuse mutters. "Every time I get used to how weird our shit is, shit gets weirder. I guess if god damn time monsters were gonna come after us, they'd have probably done it about the error room."




Everyone falls silent as a faint... scraping, shuffling sound crosses the ceiling at a rapid pace. The noise leaves as quickly as it came.

"...Uhhh," is all Michelle manages out, her eyes wide.

"Bunker's old," Fuse says, before adding "let's talk about something else."

You have a theory about Edison's brain static effect. Her... ghostly aura is more wild and barbed feeling than those of her sisters--you suspect it may have to do with her personality. It's like her energy is... angrier. You... think that if someone else with a similar disposition could astral project, maybe beef up their energy a bit, then a member of your team could replicate Edison's trick. Then, you could have a way to shut down the Many--one that doesn't involve potentially endangering the girls.

"So..." Michelle pauses, "we'd need somebody with a prickly personality?"

Michelle and Fuse both turn and stare at Liz.

"Hard pass," Liz says bluntly. "I've experienced a lot, but my brain is still way, way too much of Patton's."

"Oh, yeah," Fuse remarks. "That... yeah, I could see how that might get weird. Your astral form might look like... uh..."

"Some sort of half-me, half-Patton abomination," Liz says in the same flat tone. "I doubt I have whatever moxie is required for a spirit to be useful, regardless, and you'd have to put me through Incident F kicking and screaming."

"Experiment Odin would probably be enough," Fuse suggests, "or even that ritual we got that makes ghosts stand out more for a while. ...Still, fair point on the Thale thing. Also, moxie?"

"Yeah," Michelle says with a slight grin, "y'know. Chutzpah. Mojo. Pluck. Moxie."

"Moxie's a street drug," Fuse replies, "and the rest of those sound like street drugs. Who the hell says moxie?"

"Patton is old," Liz practically blurts out, though her pitch remains about the same.

Caius and Dr. Finch return with several bags full of... stuff.

"We got stopwatches," Caius says, "we got more tinfoil, we got sheet music, and we got some CDs."

"I attempted to procure us a variety," Dr. Finch states, "though I do fear the majority of Caius's selection is going to lead to us summoning demons."

Comments:

Snervalton 16th Jan 2019, 11:09 PM edit delete reply
Drop everything and find out what that sound across the ceiling was! This could be Nilpenter's attack, or the laying of some groundwork for it!
Twister1398 17th Jan 2019, 3:18 AM edit delete reply
This was also my first thought. Either Carpenters bunker is located right on top of ours, or he has found us.
Some Random Guy 17th Jan 2019, 6:04 AM edit delete reply
Some Random Guy
To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), this hasn't really happened at any point before in any of the previous pages of the comic, so why is it happening now?
lil Joshu 17th Jan 2019, 12:00 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
And this is why we should have blooded the bunker doors.
zophah 17th Jan 2019, 12:47 PM edit delete reply
Agreed. We have rats, cats and birds for spying on people, so it's only natural that we should be expecting someone else to do the same. Though I don't think it would be Carpenter. Given the conversation, I'd say it's one of the time-entities.
Lunar Waffles 16th Jan 2019, 11:11 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
Fuse, have you NEVER seen a horror movie? that sound is 100% bad! we need to check up on it.(Not with a person though, as it is 100% bad) perhaps with a blood bug?
Cyanic 16th Jan 2019, 11:16 PM edit delete reply
+1 to both replies up top
Limrix 16th Jan 2019, 11:31 PM edit delete reply
Limrix
+1, it's never nothing. This is the snowy peaks of a mountain in Asia in a bunker that's been abandoned for 50 years. If something's here, it wanted to be. I think blooding the bunker would be a wise move at this point. The vent didn't take too much blood, we might be able to do it with just crown molding blood. Even if we don't want to blood the entire bunker, we should at least cover the doorframe in blood.
Nicolas 17th Jan 2019, 12:54 AM edit delete reply
I think it was a mouse. Do we still have blooded rats to check the walls
Flaninious 17th Jan 2019, 8:52 AM edit delete reply
Remember that even if we’re in a horror movie, we’re the monster here, and we don’t need to be afraid of anyone spying on us or skulking around as much as we should be afraid FOR anyone doing so.
Might be a good idea to tell everyone via red that you’re going to send something after it, while you continue the conversation to distract it/them. Possibly throw a few red herrings, in case it is a spy?
Cyanic 16th Jan 2019, 11:15 PM edit delete reply
no really, don't just shrug off that random crawling sound in the ceiling NO

besides that, for now, we got some stuff to do, trades, info rituals, other stuff

we should also probably ask Michelle what she lost when she asked the Tradesmen about the worm last time then give her a hug

afterward, maybe we could hit up BX
Kumondo 17th Jan 2019, 7:23 PM edit delete reply
Kumondo
Regarding Michelle and the Tradesman ritual, she gave up access to her old apartment. Page 1145
Crestlinger 16th Jan 2019, 11:23 PM edit delete reply
On the plus side we know where to project the speakers at for the music. Put on the loudest, shrillest metal tunes at highest volume (with reddy-made earplugs) and see what comes crawling out across a red-trapped ceiling. Ghost or otherwise Mine will be able to pick it up.
Baron11704 16th Jan 2019, 11:24 PM edit delete reply
If Thale has figured out he can blood animals, and lets be honest, this isnt a big leap, this could be a spy rat, which if so, means its already too late, HOWEVER id rather not let it keep spying on us.
Baron11704 16th Jan 2019, 11:24 PM edit delete reply
If Thale has figured out he can blood animals, and lets be honest, this isnt a big leap, this could be a spy rat, which if so, means its already too late, HOWEVER id rather not let it keep spying on us.
Limrix 16th Jan 2019, 11:32 PM edit delete reply
Limrix
From now on, we should do all bunker transfers through the Illworth door, as the City door is dangerous if our position has been compromised.

Do we know where the sound came from, and where it went? Did it start in the middle of the ceiling, or go from one edge to another?
While we investigate the noise, can Finch, Pierce and Liz sort the music into bundles for trading?
Xylas_Incarnum 17th Jan 2019, 12:00 AM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
So... Caius grabbed a whole lot of heavy metal then?
Cuttlefish 17th Jan 2019, 1:01 AM edit delete reply
Take 5 seconds, check in with everyone we have blooded bar Mac. Better to be safe than sorry.
Lapdragon 17th Jan 2019, 1:04 AM edit delete reply
Lapdragon
I'm thinking that if anybody's imprint is both prickly and willing, it would probably be Caius - he's carrying a fair bit of anger (both about being betrayed, and about having been killed).

As an aside, it might be worth figuring out what kind of aura EVERYBODY has, and inventorying ourselves spiritually.

We might want to touch base with Liz later privately about reducing her "Thale-ness" through meditation and some increased personal expression. I know that we value her Thale-ness for tactical purposes, but I feel like part of our mission here is also to improve the health and well-being of our friends and some potential enemies (we did help Macland, after all, and he seems to be appreciative) - plus we hopefully won't be needing Liz to be Thale-like forever, I think helping her to un-Thale herself would be beneficial to her long-term emotional health.

+1 to checking out the skittering noise, although it might be too late this time - we should be ready with a blooded cat/rat or even just a set of blood-bugs up in the rafters for when/if it happens again.

I seem to remember we used Willard for scouting when we first got here, so there's definitely places little spying critters could hide, which means there's places we need to secure against little spying critters. Filling in those gaps with some blood-based physicality (meat, bone, clots, or whatever sounds fun) could be in our best interests.
Xardonius 17th Jan 2019, 5:52 PM edit delete reply
+1 to figuring out everybodys (-Liz/Pierce) aura.
but i would suggest doubling down: assign at least 1 hour of dayly training to selfcentering meditations and astral manifestation for everyone with a potantial spot on our go-team. i think its should help improving defences against the many and lessening the burden on whatever maindefence we will use.
Xardonius 17th Jan 2019, 6:02 PM edit delete reply
also: Hi everyone! XD Been digging through the archive the past few weeks, imensly enjoying the ride. Now you are stuck with me! ;)
Guest 17th Jan 2019, 1:27 AM edit delete reply
As long as the demons like existing they should, at the least, have moor of a beef with Nil than with us. :p
Michael Chandra 17th Jan 2019, 2:33 AM edit delete reply
We should create a few superminiblobbers and send them into the vents/ceiling to check them out, try to find intruders.
Twister1398 17th Jan 2019, 3:22 AM edit delete reply
Would it be worth the time to check out the two new bunkers? They might be connected to the not-so-random noise. Or one of them might even be Carpenter's.
Limrix 17th Jan 2019, 9:33 AM edit delete reply
Limrix
I don't think it's a good idea to check out the bunkers. Whatever's there will likely demand more time than we want to dedicate to them right now if we open them. If one of the bunkers was Carpenter's, he would know for certain that we're in the bunker system, and I don't think we want that. Exploring the bunker system further makes us more likely to get noticed somehow, but once Carpenter's out of the picture, I'm a good deal less worried.
Kumondo 17th Jan 2019, 7:28 PM edit delete reply
Kumondo
+1 to operation "Wait until later to explore the bunkers."


They will undoubtedly have cool things, but also have fires that need time and attention to put out. But as those issues have been going on for so many years, they can wait a few more days until we can properly handle them.
fellow 17th Jan 2019, 8:21 AM edit delete reply
fellow
Oh dang, time god glances are bad. I guess we should forget about using the error room going forward.
Frission 17th Jan 2019, 8:28 AM edit delete reply
Frission
rofl finch xD
fellow 17th Jan 2019, 11:06 AM edit delete reply
fellow
I think fuse might be switching topics cause time gods don't want you thinking about them. Ignorance might be a defense in this scenario.
Kumondo 17th Jan 2019, 8:10 PM edit delete reply
Kumondo
I also am all for plan check on the noise. It'll cost next to nothing to do so, and even the act of searching will gain us knowledge.

I approve of sending a blood bug or two into the rafters, perhaps totally tricked out with bioluminescence if need be. Once the inside is checked, I recommend sending Lumpy outside to check the roof, boosted up by flesh walls if need be.

And my thoughts on what the noise is, as much for my own benefit as anyone else's:
Skittering ice, a bubble in the pipes, or something equally mundane. 30% chance. Our crew seems fairly unfazed by this, in spite of EVERYTHING. Plus, Occam's razer applies here.
A monster, either zone 50 or local, such as a yeti. 10% chance. Mentioned in the discord. A possibility, and more likely here than most other settings, but nothing really tips the scales on this one.
A local animal, such as a rat. 5% chance. Due to the climate and lack of signs prior this seems unlikely.
A spy for Thale or Carpenter. 20% chance. They don't know we're here, but they'll never know if they don't check. This is the worst case scenario.
An attack by Thale or Carpenter. 2% chance. Again they don't know we're here, but if the did, with this current location, they wouldn't give us any warning, they'd attack. Hard. With a bomb.
The Time Beings, or their minions. 10% chance. Actually a bit of a coin toss in some ways. We just logiced that they're unlikely to be interested in what we're up to. Buuut… they are mysterious Time Beings, and if there's any point in time to stop us from stepping on their toes, this is the time to do it.
Edison, being mischievous and seeing how far she can push her new freedom. 15% chance. The dark horse in this contest. It's plausible that she snuck through the doors with somebody, and quite likely this bunker isn't specifically ghost proof.
Something else entirely. 8% chance. We've got a good list of ideas and paranoia altogether, but I still wouldn't put it past Morgenstern to come up with something that all of us combined wouldn't come up with.

Edit: Posted as the next page came up, so all this is kinda moot.