Comic 1127 - Work on clothes more

Posted on 21st Nov 2018, 8:46 PM in Chapter IX
Work on clothes more

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 21st Nov 2018, 8:46 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
With a little more focus, you manage to revert Red to her previous attire. It seems to take less effort doing that--likely because it's the 'default,' of sorts, in your mind.

You also encourage Red to try it herself. She's becoming--or has become, it's a bit of a gray area at the moment--a mind independent of your own, even if you're still tethered. It may be necessary for her to push the manifestation on her own.

"Yeah," she sighs, "you're probably right."

Red focuses, squinting a bit as she makes an effort to alter her attire.


After several seconds... nothing.


"I don't think I have enough juice yet," she says.

You suggest maybe small changes to the current outfit would be fine to start with--maybe adding pockets, zippers, additional threads, anything to 'complicate' what she has on. Start with what she has and work outward.

Red begins concentrating again.


Steadily, the nurse attire begins to shift and change, splitting into separate parts, gaining straps and buckles, the material subtly altering as well.


image


"Okay," Red concludes, "I'm starting to look like one of those scary kids at the mall. We don't seem very good at visualiz--."

She's cut off as an actual spark jumps across the air, the tiniest jolt of electricity appearing for the briefest of instants.

"What on earth are you doing?," Dr. Finch asks, sounding more curious than anything. Still, he does back up a few steps.

"Tell him you're using the power of imagination," Red advises. "I'm sure he'll understand."


image


Caius and Michelle creep forward, tense and cautious.

The lights flicker, just once, but stay on.

The two of them peek into the gaping hole in the wall.

"Looks like somethin' chewed its way in... or out," Michelle suggests.

Caius gives a shallow nod. "Yeah. That's what Fuse was sayin' about tha wires at tha front, too--like somethin' ate through 'em. What's all this yellow stuff?"

"Dunno," Michelle replies. She leans a little closer to examine it further. "It looks nasty, though, like it's sticky or somethin'. I ain't touchin' it--could be acidic. Saliva, maybe, from whatever's--"

The lights buzz a bit louder... and then go out.

Michelle and Caius both fall completely silent as the hallway becomes pitch black.




After a few moments of nothing, Caius whispers. "You still got that weird skin light from Blondie?"

"I stuck it in the bag," Michelle whispers back. "I think we got some flashlights in there, too. One sec."



Michelle begins to feel around in the dark, trying to reach into the bag on Caius's shoulder. After digging around inside it for a little while, she gets a hold of a flashlight--



image


"DID YOU BRING HER?"

"ARE YOU HERE FOR THE PROPHECY?"

"IS SHE WITH YOU?"

Michelle and Caius both scream, Michelle frantically withdrawing from the bag and fumbling to spin up her minigun. Caius backs up into Michelle, his panicked yell seamlessly fading into something more like a war cry.

The numerous ghosts draw near, but they don't attack. Their words... buzz, strangely, in their throats.

"THE PROPHECY?"

"HERE! SOON!"

"HAVE YOU BROUGHT HER?"

"IS SHE WITH YOU?"


The lights flicker back on.


The ghosts are gone in an instant.


Michelle releases the trigger, having not quite gotten around to firing.


image



"The fuck?!," Fuse yells.

"I DON'T KNOW!" Caius yells back.

"They looked..." Michelle has to fight to catch her breath and realign her thoughts. "They looked--"

"They looked like fuggen zombies!," Caius shouts. It's hard to tell if he's more shaken or angry, maybe equal parts of both.

Michelle nods, and breathes in deep. "Y-Yeah. They weren't... they weren't all there. I haven't seen ghosts like that yet."

"Maybe that's how they died?," Fuse suggests. "All... mangled and shit."

Michelle shakes her head. "Nah, I don't-- I don't think imprints work that way, do they?"

"Hell if I know!," Caius yells, though... a little less loudly.

"It's s'posed to be, like--" Michelle takes another second-- "their brain's... idea of themselves, or somethin'. Ain't it? Somethin' like that? Some of these guys didn't have HEADS!"

"Ohhh fuck," Fuse mutters.

"What?," Michelle asks. Caius adds a "Yeah, what?!"

Fuse pauses, hesitant to even say it. "The thing that's been eating all the metal and wires and--" He pauses again. He swallows dryly. "Whatifiteatsghosts."

Caius spins around, actually pointing his machete at Fuse. "Fuse, I swear t'god--"

"Caius," Michelle stops him. "What if he's right?"

"Please don't say that," Fuse responds, forcing an incredibly nervous chuckle.

"They asked if we brought her," Michelle mumbles to herself. "They gotta mean Blondie, right?"

"It's pretty much always gotta mean Blondie," Fuse replies.

Caius huffs. "If Spider Satan's eatin' ghosts we ain't feedin' him Blondie, so, he can jus' go ahead and get over it."

"We don't know that's what Spider Satan wants," Fuse points out.

"We don't know if Spider Satan's real!" Michelle points out, notably louder.



All three fall silent.


A noise--similar to the sound heard in the power station the night before--begins to echo down the hall.



A gross crunching sound.


Like chewing.

Comments:

pkrankow 21st Nov 2018, 10:30 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Go imigination!

There has to be a magazine with pictures of people in it here. Pull it out and look for something to have Red try.

I bet Red will manifest soon too.

I think the power station crew need to work on exiting before it becomes more exciting.
Skullrama 21st Nov 2018, 10:39 PM edit delete reply
I getcha, but.... We're never gonna solve the power station thing if we keep running away from it when thinga get creepy.
pkrankow 21st Nov 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
We got the wrong crew here. I am all for more recon as long as it doesn't box us in. I am wondering what the creature is too.
Limrix 21st Nov 2018, 11:10 PM edit delete reply
Limrix
Agreed. We need Mine present to safely explore the power plant. This has gotten weird enough, we need to dedicate our attention to it if we want to get anywhere. Mine will be the best at interacting with ghosts, or things that eat ghosts, and the best at recon as we can just send a glowing eye tentacle or something to go scout.
Leafia_Barrett 21st Nov 2018, 10:37 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Okay we explored the place now let's get the fuck out of here oh god.
Japster 22nd Nov 2018, 12:03 AM edit delete reply
Japster
We must return though. This "prophecy" is probably very important or useful.
AgentKuga 22nd Nov 2018, 12:43 PM edit delete reply
AgentKuga
yeah we will return, but with a better set of people (probably needs blondie with them)
Cyanic 21st Nov 2018, 10:39 PM edit delete reply
Probably better if we have more things that can hit ghosts, not just the ghost gun, for now we might wanna just back off and scout with a mini golem?
ReikoLupus 21st Nov 2018, 10:49 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Get the fuck outta here.
This isn't at the level of some exploration.
If we are gonna do this, we need everyone to come, and come armed to the teeths.
And if the worst case scenario happens, and this Spider-Satan-Eater-Of-Souls is in itself a ghost, we NEED Mine.
I doubt a small gun made to fight some ghosts would be that effective against something that EATS them.
Take our best weapons, and practice doing any ghost-type Attack we can imagine. It's time to learn how to shoot Spectral Laserbeams!
Tinkerbill93 21st Nov 2018, 10:54 PM edit delete reply
Alright first off I disagree with my fellow posters and believe we should go deeper into the power station. I do not believe it is a ghost we are facing.

My best guess off my meager knowledge is that ghosts are basically just residual electromagnetic impulses left by the psychic self of an individual.

So if something is chomping ghosties it's just sucking up residual electricty in the environment. So it's not that nefarious. It's probably a mutant spider chewing into electrical stuff like the walls for wire or ghosts for food .

We could maybe get it with the ghost gun since it is a super tazer, maybe it would like that like a super soaker full of tacos. Feed it full and befriend it.

More likely spider murder
Archon 21st Nov 2018, 10:55 PM edit delete reply
Y'know, now seems a good time for the powerplant crew to step outside for a bit.
Found some ghosts, that's probably good enough for now.
Can manufacture a golem later to check out where the crunching noise is coming from.
Tych 21st Nov 2018, 10:59 PM edit delete reply
is it weird to say that Red might be the one centered around this prophecy and not Mine? . . .well technically what with them being the same not the same but you still
Japster 22nd Nov 2018, 12:23 AM edit delete reply
Japster
Hmm... It really could be any female other than Michelle.
Guest 21st Nov 2018, 11:40 PM edit delete reply
My bet is they mean Faraday. There's history.
Mister 21st Nov 2018, 11:59 PM edit delete reply
Oooo, now there's a thought
PurpleKetchup 22nd Nov 2018, 12:52 AM edit delete reply
We could try asking the girls if they remember about a prophecy, but it might have been a memory they avoid on purpose. Of the three Edison is probably the one who could tell us about it.
Chaostraveler 21st Nov 2018, 11:47 PM edit delete reply
If we continue practicing with Red, maybe use the cat magazine to try and materialize a spectral kitten? Because why not. In all seriousness, it looks like Red is starting to show signs of manifesting more like the ghost girls so this would be worth looking into.

Unfortunately, I agree that we need to bring the (all of) the big guns and probably some fire. Scratch that, lots of fire and some huge hammers. (Though that might be my arachnophobia talking) Whatever is in the power station is really weird, which is saying a lot for these guys. Maybe ask the Tradesmen for info on how to make or find another/info on the ghost gun. If we could replicate it we could trade several up for a proton pack or something!
Lunar Waffles 22nd Nov 2018, 8:37 AM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
Mine can portal in any supplies with herself if need be, technically don't have to leave to get stuff.
Mister 22nd Nov 2018, 12:00 AM edit delete reply
Call 'Code Brown'.
Reach safe zone.
Nuke from orbit.
wierdweblurker 22nd Nov 2018, 12:22 AM edit delete reply
wierdweblurker
Something to note is that all of those ghosts, assuming they were killed by SS prior to their ghosting, are fairly normal-sized. We have two lab-humans and a pyrokinetic, making us a significantly more difficult meal. We have anti-ghost weaponry, and some significant physical might to boot. Mine may not be present, but in this case retreat may not be necessary... or possible, for that matter. We got away with it once, but now the thing most definitely knows we're here.

Prepare to fight, and have Fuse start burning webs. We need to deny this thing its environmental advantage.
Swagner 22nd Nov 2018, 12:43 AM edit delete reply
Swagner
My vote is still for "burn the place down". And/or maybe come back with helmet-mounted flashlights, so that next time the lights go out the ghost-eating spider goat satan doesn't get the drop on our burly scaredy-cats.
undeadDreamer 22nd Nov 2018, 12:46 AM edit delete reply
undeadDreamer
Tell finch we're using the power of imagination. Also we really should go there. Mine is the one most likely to be able to deal with this. Have somebody put the weird skin light on the ground and let's try to make a big portal using that to pull more blood out. If Mine can just portal in that'd be the fastest. We have to keep red inside our head if we're going to fight a ghost eating monster.
Lunar Waffles 22nd Nov 2018, 8:36 AM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
+1 for summoning Mine x: also...meep.
T41 22nd Nov 2018, 2:29 AM edit delete reply
Maybe it ain't Blondie. Could it have something to do with the original girl Edison, Tesla and Faraday imprinted from?
fellow 22nd Nov 2018, 2:39 AM edit delete reply
fellow
Perhaps this thing just eats electricity(which ghosts are made out of) and got through the walls to reach it.

We better back out of this place.
Verde 22nd Nov 2018, 2:51 AM edit delete reply
So, we gotta fight evil Pac-Man now?
Causticius 22nd Nov 2018, 5:58 AM edit delete reply
Crap Crap Crap Crap
Running TIME!! @_@

If escape is possible, burn the mutha to the ground. Preferably once we're outside.
If its not, whip out the ghost gun and give it a shot -- if this thing EATS ghosts, it may be made partially of them or contain pieces of them, and may actually be hurt by the thing that is supposed to kill ghosts.

Sadly may have to bring Blondie here next time. DO NOT BRING THE GHOST GIRLS, NOT A SINGLE ONE OF ANY OF THEM!! Partially because we don't want to piss off Edison any more than necessary... partially because, even if Edison is being a little pissy blighter, if she gets hurt the OTHER two could lose their shit as well. Best not to test that connection at the moment.

Also-also, RESEARCH!! We need records on this town, and on the power plant especially. When did it go offline? What was the "official explanation"? Any eye-witness accounts? Knowing anything before going back in is better than continuing to know nothing.
fellow 22nd Nov 2018, 6:40 AM edit delete reply
fellow
It occurs to me. If we're unlucky this thing could follow us back into the bunker where it could hurt edison.
Cuttlefish 22nd Nov 2018, 7:27 AM edit delete reply
Let's go buy 100 bug bombs and fumigate the damn place
Guest 22nd Nov 2018, 9:16 AM edit delete reply
Honestly, I think we need to at least get far enough to see what it is that's got us all scared. This is the second time we're here, and we barely know more about what's going on than before.
Of course, first ask our three explorers if they're okay with exploring further or not. They sound pretty spooked. (Pun only half intended.)
pkrankow 22nd Nov 2018, 9:23 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
I recall Caius packing a flask of Mine's blood. Maybe we should give it a really good shake and mark the area with some of it. I say mark where the ghost zombies were.

If there is enough in the flask to make 4+ locations we should mark the hallway outside this room with all the webs and hold 2 locations worth for later. If there is only one mark worth then mark near the door here.

As I said earlier I am for more recon, but with caution. An organized exit would also be prudent.

The ghost girl theory (hypothesis?) is interesting too. Invite one or more maybe?
lil Joshu 22nd Nov 2018, 11:55 AM edit delete reply
You know... just had a bit of a flashback... we're trying to NOT repeat history here. The first womb was originally one being that had an internal war and split apart into many over fundamental differences. Although Red and Mine are friends right now, we might want to sit down with her and pierce and potentially the tradesmen and chat with them while we're still technically one person to figure out how to keep from repeating the future in that regard if we manage to overcome the other gods, to make sure we don't repeat past mistakes on THAT front.
lil Joshu 22nd Nov 2018, 12:06 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
And just realized I was posting while logged out. Huh.