Comic 1110 - Check the electrical boxes

Posted on 22nd Oct 2018, 9:26 PM in Hope
Check the electrical boxes

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 22nd Oct 2018, 9:26 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
"Is that--" Michelle pauses, and stops short of walking all the way across the room. "Is that spider web?"

Fuse glances that direction while--cautiously--opening the larger of the wall panels. "That looks... way too thick to be spider web."

"Must be some big ass spiders," Caius chuckles grimly, opening the smaller electrical box.

Michelle keeps her gun pointed firmly in the direction of the 'webbing.'

"Jus' looks like breakers an' stuff in here," Caius states.

"This... I don't know what this was," Fuse remarks about his own cabinet. He moves back, letting Caius see; whatever the panel held before has been absolutely torn apart, revealing shredded wires and hollow space. Metal surface has worn completely through in significant portions.

"Tha hell happened there?," Caius asks.

"Looters, maybe. Looking for copper, or carbon fiber or... whatever." Fuse squints, his stare lingering on the open panel. "...Not a very clean job for looters, though. This is messy."

"Maybe they were in a hurry," suggests Michelle, never taking her eyes off the webs.

"Maybe," Fuse concludes, but he doesn't sound convinced. "What's the plan?"

"Yeah, we gonna light them webs up?," Caius asks.

"Much as I want to," Michelle replies, "messin' with the webs is jus' likely to piss off whatever's in there."

"Wouldn't do us much good to burn the place down, anyway," Fuse adds. "The damage should be fixable, if this stuff's even critical for what we're gonna be doing. Might be able to just work around it... I dunno. Need to see what else has been torn up around here."

The three of them begin to inch forward, toward the door--but Fuse motions to stop. He runs his hand along the heavy cable protruding from the floor.

"This thing's old, but it's almost untouched."

"So?," Caius replies.

"I'm not an expert but it looks valuable," Fuse says... somewhat quieter, and a little more hurried.

"You don't think it's really looters," Michelle remarks.

"Nah," Fuse says, shaking his head slowly. "I don't think it's really looters."

As they draw closer to the door, the... unnerving, sloppy sort of crunching noise becomes more noticeable.

Comments:

Toricon 22nd Oct 2018, 9:48 PM edit delete reply
Right! That's enough for tonight. Let's get back to base and check this out in the *daytime*, when running away will be easier because we won't need to worry about tripping over things in the dark.
Lunar Waffles 22nd Oct 2018, 9:54 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
yeah, the main mission was to figure out if it was an easy fix or not, mission goal complete! so lets scram. in short +1
Limrix 22nd Oct 2018, 10:13 PM edit delete reply
Limrix
+1 to coming back when we're giving our full attention to this.
Cyanic 22nd Oct 2018, 10:19 PM edit delete reply
+1!
I think it'd be wise if we ourselves was also here so we could blood the thing if we can/need to
undeadDreamer 22nd Oct 2018, 10:23 PM edit delete reply
undeadDreamer
Yes. Next time we bring a pistol. One shot with Michelle's aim is more effective and causes less collateral damage.
AgentKuga 23rd Oct 2018, 5:44 AM edit delete reply
AgentKuga
+1 i think we're good too might as well leave heh
Japster 23rd Oct 2018, 8:23 AM edit delete reply
Japster
+1, except we do only a partial withdraw, stepping outside. We're already here, let's pop a golem out and investigate. Let's find out if this place is worth our time and ammo.
Heroshima 23rd Oct 2018, 7:47 PM edit delete reply
Heroshima
[>abscond]
Twyll 22nd Oct 2018, 10:14 PM edit delete reply
Hmmm, we definitely need to send a golem in here to do some scouting, I think. I suspect that that "webbing" might actually be home to some kind of... wire-eating rust monster? Let's gtfo and handle this tomorrow, yeah.
Taenidia 22nd Oct 2018, 11:18 PM edit delete reply
Seconding golem plan. Besides, we need to do low-stakes battle-testing of the messy bone armor variant at some point, right?

I could also imagine it being something that eats power-storage devices, like batteries or ghost-batteries or similar. But rust monster seems like a pretty good guess.
The Chicken Guy 26th Oct 2018, 4:01 AM edit delete reply
+1 to scouting, we can make further decisions from there.
Frission 22nd Oct 2018, 10:21 PM edit delete reply
Frission
Let's at least look through the door before we decide to bug out. Maybe we can take whatever it is. Maybe it's not as scary as it sounds? Dunno without a peek.
Lunar Waffles 22nd Oct 2018, 10:32 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
what if it sees us, and its really hard to kill? the three of them are all tired, its late at night, and the deeper we go the darker it will get. we went in thinking maybe some large vermin and abit of broken things here and there(or an instant ambush of deadly deadliness), a recon to better plan the repairs for tomorrow.... this is abit more then we we planned for.
The Chicken Guy 26th Oct 2018, 9:59 AM edit delete reply
I think the golem is our solution here: It gives us intel, either for now or the future, and gives us enough room to run.
pkrankow 22nd Oct 2018, 10:35 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Copper eating bugs?
fellow 23rd Oct 2018, 2:41 AM edit delete reply
fellow
If these things eat metal, fuse may have to be careful with his leg.
AgentKuga 23rd Oct 2018, 5:44 AM edit delete reply
AgentKuga
aw yeah that's true
Taenidia 22nd Oct 2018, 11:23 PM edit delete reply
Sounds like that white stuff has a chance of not being spiderweb... my guess is ectoplasm.
undeadDreamer 25th Oct 2018, 1:02 PM edit delete reply
undeadDreamer
I'm fairly confident ectoplasm doesn't exist in this universe.
Taenidia 22nd Oct 2018, 11:33 PM edit delete reply
A random idea for sometime after we've conducted our expeditious retreat...

If it really has to be spiders again, could Blondie get a look at how the spider-phobia is laid out in Michelle's brain? If it's gonna be messy, obviously we don't want to do anything, but if it looks like it's centered on just a handful of nerves... is that something we might want to modify out? (After asking Michelle's permission, of course.)
Xylas_Incarnum 23rd Oct 2018, 1:38 AM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
Hmmm... fire's no go then can we make some chainswords or rippers or some other form of combat built chainsaw?
fellow 23rd Oct 2018, 2:40 AM edit delete reply
fellow
Wow, another update. This is awesome.
Linkbro 23rd Oct 2018, 7:06 AM edit delete reply
+1 to gtfo-ing, but I say we should make and then bring some of the shrapnel bone bombs as well
Jochi 23rd Oct 2018, 8:55 AM edit delete reply
If we bug out, before we go:
1. See if any of the 'web' can be removed without jiggling the rest of it, to take back for lab testing. Probably not.
2. Check inside the larger panel, look for residue like saliva or droppings, for the same reason. Possible enough to check.
Personally, I like looking through the door, after rigging a way to close and secure it quickly.
kingoftheworld 23rd Oct 2018, 4:18 PM edit delete reply
Examine the orange "paint" splatters on the wall.
Nicolas arboleya 23rd Oct 2018, 5:53 PM edit delete reply
I personally think we should make this a test for the meat-mech
Japster 24th Oct 2018, 7:08 AM edit delete reply
Japster
Sounds good, but I think Bunker X would be a better option, as the mech will likely be our trump card, so we should keep it secret.
Causticius 23rd Oct 2018, 6:29 PM edit delete reply
+∞ to lighting out of there! Or at least backing up to the entrance.

If we're gonna do any serious recon, a meat golem is disposable and easily replaced; our friends are not D: We need to figure out what we're facing before going full-Rambo in there.
Blue_Elite 23rd Oct 2018, 8:30 PM edit delete reply
Mission accomplished. We know there is definitely something in here. The group can now leave.
If when we return during the daylight the sound and its source have disappeared, then we know we've got something to confront at night before we can do repairs.

The other option would be to send a meat scout in further to check things out. But definitely not anyone from the group.
Japster 24th Oct 2018, 7:05 AM edit delete reply
Japster
+1 to meat scout
Skullrama 24th Oct 2018, 10:53 AM edit delete reply
I am all for the scouting things out with a golem/meatbug/small thingy option. We probably can't split our attention between that and building the bio-mech so easily, but oh well. Better to be safe.
1977 24th Oct 2018, 8:35 AM edit delete reply
As already mentioned 2 pages back I read a bit through the archives and on this page
http://bloodismine.thecomicseries.com/comics/313
we have the first mention of stargazingmemory with her parents.
On this page
http://bloodismine.thecomicseries.com/comics/626
we find out it is corrupted by NIL.
A few pages later we clear all the other memories and can retain them because our friends have them from another perspective to fill in blanks.
In the picture down in the second linked page we can see a raven sitting on the car with us.
Ravens have a long life.
Maybe one of the ravens we have is the one in the picture.
We can sync with him and restore our memory.
ReikoLupus 24th Oct 2018, 11:17 AM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Let's use a Little meat golem to explore the room ahead. After that, if there is no Danger there, stuck the meat Golem to the web. Let's see what's exactly here XD.
(Having our team hide while the golems attracts whatever is using this web Might be a good idea XD)
Sekwel 24th Oct 2018, 11:47 AM edit delete reply
When did we all become so cautious? When did I start agreeing it was a good idea? lol
ReikoLupus 24th Oct 2018, 6:46 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
We were always cautious. But this damn autor always finds the way to turn things to Hell Mode even if we do, so everything ends in a chaotic Run-or-Kill-to-Survive even if we are cautious XD.
But well, we Leveled-Up our party to the point where we can really stop some situations to develep into Hell in teh Earth if we are cautious, so it's somewhat peaceful this last missions XD.
37212513 25th Oct 2018, 6:07 AM edit delete reply
37212513
Good to see you back Mat.

The clump on Michelle's helm? Chunk it under the door. We would be effectively repurposing it for a quick look from Mine's POV to see the room. Just get the heads up to Mine first and prepare to bail. Experience has taught us to trust our sense's. Think about anything extra you might mention to Mine before acting. Something specific that feels... different. It doesn't have to be logical, the mind never is, but that's how we communicate, and Mine gets that more than anyone by now.

(Yeah, I know that's stretching it a bit, but some of us had some time to think while you where away and hitting a wall so soon seems... this chat board does seem to be about seeing what sparks of madness ignite your imagination though, so have fun.)
undeadDreamer 25th Oct 2018, 1:01 PM edit delete reply
undeadDreamer
Just a background suggestion for Mine. She should probably do biomech design in the red. It'll be faster and easier.
Cuttlefish 25th Oct 2018, 8:45 PM edit delete reply
Agreed with the above. Retreat and send in a scout bug in the morning. Worst comes to worst, we waste a little time exploring.
WalkerOfSorrow 25th Oct 2018, 9:14 PM edit delete reply
I'll throw my own vote in as well. Let's retreat and plan.
The Chicken Guy 26th Oct 2018, 4:00 AM edit delete reply
I just saw that this updated, and I just wanted to say welcome back to Morgenstern. I really love your work, and as soon as I finish my Masters program and get a job, I will finally be able to ack you on Patreon. I'm glad your feeling good enough to write again, and I hope your dad is doing well.
WalkerOfSorrow 26th Oct 2018, 3:04 PM edit delete reply
I will be applying for Vocational Rehabilitation soon, which is designed to get me a stable job. Part of my budget will be to support Morgenstern and this comic. To anyone who questions the decision, please consider how much of a shit life people can go through, and how something like this comic could help.