Comic 1109 - Check out the power station

Posted on 21st Oct 2018, 9:23 PM in Hope
Check out the power station

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (5 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 21st Oct 2018, 9:23 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
Fuse returns from dropping Lydia off, and you all explain the plan.

"...Alright," he replies simply.

"That's it?," Caius asks. "Alright?"

Fuse gives a small shrug. "I'm guessing you guys already hashed out that doing this in the dark is nuts."

Dr. Finch smiles, just a little. "It was brought up, yes."

Fuse gives a wider shrug. "Well, there you go. Long as we're clear."

Michelle, Fuse, and Caius take a moment to conjure up bone armor. You, Dr. Finch, and Liz load a large number of supplies--pretty much everything you can think of, including first aid and a fire extinguisher--into a duffel bag. Michelle grabs the minigun and the ghost gun, Fuse takes a pistol, Caius takes a pistol and a machete. You also load up tin foil and ritual materials... just in case.

"Geez," Caius chuckles as he swings the duffel bag onto his shoulder. "It ain't Bunker X, folks."

"It might be," Fuse says, fighting back a smirk, "for all we know."

"Yeah, I ain't takin' any chances," Michelle adds. "We've seen enough weird shit in weird places--we got stuff, we're gonna use it."

You also form a small clump of material from the red, and fix it to the front of Michelle's helmet. Aside from giving you more access to the scouting party, it gives you an opportunity to try the free radicals lighting trick--with a much smaller risk of giving anyone cancer.

The three head out. You continue trying to split your focus between monitoring them, and working on your... er... meat mech.

It doesn't take Michelle, Caius, and Fuse long to reach the Ilworth power station. Light bleeds through cracks in the ceiling, keeping the front room at least from being totally dark.

"Y'all hear that?," Michelle asks quietly.

It's faint, but a sound sometimes makes its way from the walls--like a soft, wet, crunching noise. It's muffled by the walls themselves, and seems to come and go.

"...Okay, ya got me," Caius finally says, just as hushed. "S'good we brought all tha junk. This place's givin' me tha willies already."

"It's the air," Fuse mutters. "The EM fields are probably screwing with us."

Michelle nods, tightening the grip on her weapon. "Yeah, I feel... nervous? Ain't even nothin' happenin' yet, and it's not like we haven't seen worse."
Morgenstern 21st Oct 2018, 9:44 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
OOC: It's slow going, but it's getting better. If you like Blood is Mine, I highly recommend Mechanically Inclined--it's good, and it's updating way more often than I am right now lol. I appreciate all the kind words from everybody, thank you for being so patient.

Comments:

Xylas_Incarnum 21st Oct 2018, 9:48 PM edit delete reply
Xylas_Incarnum
Take it slow and clear the rooms one by one.
Lunar Waffles 21st Oct 2018, 9:52 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
+1
LytharWolfe 21st Oct 2018, 9:50 PM edit delete reply
LytharWolfe
The fuck is that white stuff at the far end? It looks like really really solid spiderwebs?
rufiangel 21st Oct 2018, 9:52 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
Oh dear, that is rather what it looks like >_>;;;
Twyll 21st Oct 2018, 10:55 PM edit delete reply
It might be the kind of webbing that certain spiders, like some kinds of tarantulas, use to create homes for themselves. On the plus side, it means that as long as we don't disturb the webbing, they should be perfectly satisfied to stay away from us and hide out there, because spiders that build safe homes prefer to run there when threatened instead of standing and fighting.
Swagner 22nd Oct 2018, 11:05 AM edit delete reply
Swagner
If the walls are concrete or brick (and they probably are, it is a power station), I vote opening with a molotov cocktail.
Leah9572 22nd Oct 2018, 12:30 PM edit delete reply
Exactly what I thought. And if those are spiders, we might want to tell Michelle to step out of there for now...
AgentKuga 22nd Oct 2018, 3:06 PM edit delete reply
AgentKuga
ah yeah good idea indeed
rufiangel 21st Oct 2018, 9:51 PM edit delete reply
rufiangel
It's an update! :D Hurrah! Also no worries senpai, we know you're going through a ton. <3 and yes, MI is good, everyone go read it XD

There's so much to keep track of but you're doing a great job MM X3

Mmm... Always err on the side of caution here >_>a roll to check for traps? Lol
Blue_Elite 22nd Oct 2018, 8:22 PM edit delete reply
Don't forget to check for invisible traps. ;D
Gigafreak 21st Oct 2018, 9:52 PM edit delete reply
Well, we know that this area has enormous mutant arthropod wildlife. That stuff on the right side looks a lot like webbing. And... Michelle has severe arachnophobia.
Best be ready to give her a dose of the Level effect on short notice in case of colossal monster spiders.
Causticius 21st Oct 2018, 9:58 PM edit delete reply
Before bumbling forward, check those panels nearby. Just in case they might be hiding a light switch or something. Never know.
Fishbulb 21st Oct 2018, 10:37 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
+1
Skullrama 21st Oct 2018, 11:00 PM edit delete reply
Agreed, check the panels, then a nice, room by room clearing, watching each other's backs.
Limrix 21st Oct 2018, 10:56 PM edit delete reply
Limrix
+1, we should make sure the wiring is ok.
Naysai 22nd Oct 2018, 12:58 AM edit delete reply
If this place were operational, it'd probably have automated lights like in the hospital.
Mochi 21st Oct 2018, 10:03 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
thank you for saying such nice things about my comic matt ;o;
Lunar Waffles 21st Oct 2018, 10:07 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
i Still want to ask moms red about stuff while building the meat-mech x: Also if those are giant cobwebs, Michelle might~ want to sit this one out.
Fishbulb 21st Oct 2018, 10:42 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
Someone might want to grab a sample of whatever that stuff is. Being able to synthesize spiderwebbing or chitin or whatever that is could be useful.

Michelle might want to investigate not this room if those are indeed spiderwebs. I was going to suggest setting the webs on fire, but it might not be a good idea since we don't know what kind of fire suppression system the power station has.
Twyll 21st Oct 2018, 10:53 PM edit delete reply
Hmmm, we forgot to bring a ten-foot pole, didn't we... All of that preparation, and still we forgot the most basic item! Still, maybe we can find something we can use to take a sample from a distance (extend the bone armor, perhaps?).

Probably setting things on fire before examining them thoroughly would be a bad idea anyway, yeah. Many spiders live inside thickly webbed edifices, and their natural reaction to a fire would be to scatter in every direction-- including towards us.

Of course, it might have nothing to do with giant radioactive spiders and just be the build-up of many years of regular-sized spiders. Even normal spiders can build things up massively over a surprisingly short time when they work together. Spiders also don't tend to be aggressive-- they're mostly just defensive, so as long as we don't disturb any webbing particularly vigorously, we should be okay.
Twyll 21st Oct 2018, 11:13 PM edit delete reply
We should probably explore the rest of the room first, but if we wanna look more closely at the web, we could make some of Michelle's blood-headlamp into a bug to go investigate it. Something small would look less threatening to whatever lives in there-- granted, it would probably get eaten, but we could get a sense of what's in there first XD
fellow 21st Oct 2018, 11:59 PM edit delete reply
fellow
Just how big are the spiders in here?
PurpleKetchup 22nd Oct 2018, 2:06 PM edit delete reply
Depends if they scaled up like the mutant rats...
ReikoLupus 22nd Oct 2018, 8:35 AM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Send Caius to take a sample of the Spiderweb.
After that, put a bit of material from the red in front of our group, and once everyone is behind it, set the web on fire. If a lot of spider comes running our way, we can use the red to create a wall to stop them from reaching us.
Even if the spiders are harmless, we have an arachnofobic with us. If things go south, I doubt she'll be ready to face anything while completely surrounded by spiders XD.
And if we cause an uncontrolable fire, we can flood the place with Blood to put off the flames.
Skullrama 22nd Oct 2018, 12:33 PM edit delete reply
It might be best not to light things on fire in the building full of old electrical equipment that we plan to actually re-purpose and use going forward. Collateral damage would suck.
Skullrama 22nd Oct 2018, 8:49 AM edit delete reply
We all presume the bone armor ritual pulls from Mine's red, cause it probably does. But we have never tried to sense through/take ownership of the bone armor. Presuming we can, maybe we should? It opens up several emergency tactical options for our friends...

Presuming the armor has marrow, we could have the armor grow big spikes in an emergency, or just straight up shoot blood fountains out of it for further, easier options with red blood everywhere.

I propose we divert some attention for a moment and see if we can shift perspective to their bone armor being part of us like anything that comes from our red. And maybe see if we can then use it to spray some blood down the hall for funsies. Warn them first.
Lunar Waffles 22nd Oct 2018, 9:29 AM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
wouldn't it be more hilarious to NOT warn them? x:
PurpleKetchup 22nd Oct 2018, 2:08 PM edit delete reply
Not all bones have marrow, so it depends what kind is generated through the ritual.
TheArchiver 22nd Oct 2018, 9:29 AM edit delete reply
Aaaaaye. You're back! Hope everything goes well!
Japster 22nd Oct 2018, 10:47 AM edit delete reply
Japster
Let's break off a part of our "redlight" and make some hollow bone thing, that would be really noisey to move or step on. I get the feeling that something may come up behind us in here.
Japster 22nd Oct 2018, 10:47 AM edit delete reply
Japster
Let's break off a part of our "redlight" and make some hollow bone thing, that would be really noisey to move or step on. I get the feeling that something may come up behind us in here.
Macheman7 isn't logged in 22nd Oct 2018, 12:24 PM edit delete reply
Oh no.
Michelle isn't good with spiders.
Make sure to level her, and everyone else, if they should end up needing it.
Seconding the "FIRE" ideas, though it would be better if we had a slightly more stealthy way of entering. That big tube in the middle, can we identify it offhand? Or ask Finch if he knows anything about it?
Also... I don't remember a lot about the power plant, but is there the risk that, say, if we "disabled" it temporarily, it would cause some places to lose power?
...Does Finch know a lot about electrical systems? Ask him to study up if he isn't busy, or, alternatively, Liz, if she isn't busy.
Or asleep.
Lunar Waffles 22nd Oct 2018, 1:44 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
i believe the power plant is already NOT powering anything.
kingoftheworld 22nd Oct 2018, 5:26 PM edit delete reply
Don't split up. Examine the white substance on the other side of the room.
Blue_Elite 22nd Oct 2018, 8:45 PM edit delete reply
Personally against setting things on fire for now as A) it'll severely hinder further exploration as we are literally at the entrance and B) fire is actually a very poor means of killing things quickly and may very well result in large, mutant spiders on fire running straight at our group.

It would be nice to have a meat golem to scout ahead though. Just to see if anything springs out and eats it. Ideally this is just taking a look around and then bolting at the first solid sign of danger (which is why we're checking the place out at night, when it's easiest to find danger).

For immediate actions, we should check out that electrical stuff right next to the group. It'll also bide some time to see if anything begins approaching while the group are not close to the white, web-looking stuff.
Also someone should keep an eye on the ceiling just in general.