Comic 1106 - Safeguard Lydia

Posted on 2nd Aug 2018, 12:04 AM in Chapter VIII
Safeguard Lydia

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 2nd Aug 2018, 12:04 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
Michelle heads to Mars to go get the crates, and you set Baby Red down on the counter (where they were previously).

You turn to Lydia.

You have... an ominous feeling, a sense of dread you can't quite define. You had one raven, Allen, watching Hope's church previously; there's no real reason to keep it there anymore, so you signal it to fly toward Rockwell Arcade.

You grab one of Dr. Finch's vials, and fill it with your blood before handing it to Lydia. You also explain the bone armor ritual, and while you normally do it with pigmentation of the skin... it should work just as well with a magic marker.

"Um... okay?," Lydia agrees, though she looks a little confused.

"Should we be worried about something?," Fuse asks.

You... can't really explain it. You just have a feeling. It's probably nothing, but after what happened to Grizwald you don't want to take any chances.

You grab a marker, and take Lydia to the bathroom; she unbuttons her shirt so you can draw the bone armor runes on her back. You tell her how the spell works, and how to activate it.

"Thanks!," she says. "I uhhh hopefully won't need it, but thanks."

You also ask Caius to call Lydia's phone, using the alien phone--while it doesn't have a number, per se, it can be dialed back. Caius... sort of squints, and tilts his head, and Lydia's phone rings.

"Oh, weird. I normally don't get service in here," she mutters.

"Nobody does," Caius says, before tapping his head. "I got an alien brain phone."

You tell Lydia that if she plans to do anything dangerous... call first. Seriously.

"A-alright," she replies, starting to look a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Fuse... hesitates, clearly wanting to know more about this feeling you have, but he relents. He and Lydia leave, on the way to take her 'home.'

"I suppose extra caution isn't unwarranted," Dr. Finch states. "Thale's back is to the proverbial wall, at this moment... there is no certain way to gauge how that may affect his behavior moving forward."

Caius nods, though he doesn't seem real sure about your additional steps, either. "Yeah, I guess desperate times an' all that."


You do want to take a swing at the Ilworth station--however, you suspect it may be better to wait until Fuse has returned for that.

In the meantime...

precautions.

Also, multi-tasking.

You make your way to each of the bunker entrances, planting minute 'blood eggs' inside and outside each one that you safely can. While working on that, you also practice making meatwalls--working to generate, and withdraw them, faster and faster. You practice the meatwalls with eggs in other bunkers, forcing you to split your attention between travel, planting the eggs, and forming the walls. The hope is that, by getting better at dividing your attention, you can improve your ability to do blood alarms.

Once you've finished placing blood lumps at all the bunker entrances, you return to Bunker A. You want to commence work on your biomech... but you also want to finish working on Liz.

And you want to keep working on multitasking.

So you do.


image


You hunt down the last of the... er... idiosyncrasies in Elizabeth, and alter them to make her more human-like.

Meanwhile, you use the small cut you made for Lydia's blood vial, and force more blood out of it. Then muscle. And bone. And nerve fiber. Steadily, you begin to build a large arm and a fist (with... less than perfect fingers, but who's keeping score).

Michelle returns, hauling the two hazardous crates across the lab. "You ready, big guy?"

The enormous mouth on the wall opens wide.

Michelle tosses the boxes inside.

The mouth slams shut, the sound reverberating across the room. There's a lower, more... unsettling sound as the red 'swallows' the crates, shifting them off and away into parts unknown.

There's a strong silence that follows, eventually broken by Caius.

"Look, I know it sucks that we're all in this in tha first place, an' people are dyin' an' stuff..." He gives a shrug, and a smirk. "But man, sometimes it's cool to be us."

Dr. Finch sighs, but can't help but chuckle slightly. Tesla and Faraday both still look utterly amazed at what they just witnessed.

Michelle, after struggling to find a response, just smiles. "Yeah. It's kinda true."


You finish fixing Liz.

She moves her arms a bit, and turns at the hips. You can see her fighting back her own smile. "I will admit... it doesn't hurt anymore." She restrains the smile long enough to make eye contact with you, looking as dour as she possibly can before adding. "...Thank you."

Further, you believe that your focus on dividing your attention, combined with the massive leaps you've made in your abilities lately, has further expanded your limits. You can now set up to two blood alarms, total.

Comments:

Departure_Dave 2nd Aug 2018, 1:12 AM edit delete reply
Hug Liz. She's been through a hell of a lot, and though she may only look like your mom she's proven to be a fast friend.
Twyll 2nd Aug 2018, 1:17 AM edit delete reply
Agreed! Maybe put down our giant arm first though.
Cyanic 2nd Aug 2018, 1:18 AM edit delete reply
take off the meat arm before hugging though
Skullrama 2nd Aug 2018, 8:50 AM edit delete reply
Agreed to this - remove popeye arm, hug Liz before getting back to work.
Lunar Waffles 2nd Aug 2018, 1:42 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
+1 The Serial Hugger will strike again!
white 2nd Aug 2018, 1:57 PM edit delete reply
You all are hug addicts and you need help.
PurpleKetchup 2nd Aug 2018, 3:27 PM edit delete reply
We've got a fever, and the only cure is more hugs.
Cyanic 2nd Aug 2018, 1:19 AM edit delete reply
Let's try making an arm made entirely of bone and see if it still moves since it should follow bandage rules if we're in contact with it! Current arm looks promising, but definitely not combat ready, we gotta refine and refine and then test it out in Bunker X
Twyll 2nd Aug 2018, 1:20 AM edit delete reply
So, do we want to put our second blood alarm on Lydia (via the blood vial we gave her) or the Rockwell Arcade raven? Did we have another alarm set? I seem to recall having a raven outside the old Z50 headquarters or something with a blood alarm on it.

We might actually want to send a raven to the address we acquired via the ARG (as discussed in the discord) to keep an eye on it. Maybe something less obtrusive, like a pigeon.
Cyanic 2nd Aug 2018, 1:24 AM edit delete reply
Our current blood alarm is on Edison's chamber, the other isn't used yet, so maybe give it to the raven following Lydia
Blue_Elite 2nd Aug 2018, 4:27 AM edit delete reply
"You give Grizwald a hug, and put your blood alarm on his vial. If he seems to be involved in any commotion, or any sort of trouble you can perceive via the needle, your alarm will go off." Was our previous blood alarm.

Bird locations: Edgar - Site 1 (Last Known Address), Allen - Hope's Church (being moved to Rockwell Arcade), Poe - Hummer/Cam's Hospital, Caesar - Unaccounted (We've yet to designate any place for him(?) to patrol; presumably he(?)'s hanging around near the outside of the bunker door).
undeadDreamer 2nd Aug 2018, 1:30 AM edit delete reply
If we're going to make a biomech we can experiment in the red.
Japster 2nd Aug 2018, 2:05 AM edit delete reply
Japster
Yeah, that seems like the best environment for it
Skullrama 2nd Aug 2018, 8:10 AM edit delete reply
Yeah, sounds good. Let's experiment with how good our control is on the arm we've built, then try to work up a more components in the red - it is the easiest workshop to do things in.
Lunar Waffles 2nd Aug 2018, 4:03 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
personally i think we should be MAKING it in the red but that requires a lot more focus i think, and we are tying to learn multi tasking. x:
also, if we test in the red we might be accidentally subconsciously be helping out with the red so it might skew results.
Skullrama 2nd Aug 2018, 6:53 PM edit delete reply
Perhaps I was unclear - I meant test the arm we've made now, outside the red, to get an idea of our control level.

Then, IN the red, work on making more biomech components.
Japster 2nd Aug 2018, 2:12 AM edit delete reply
Japster
Let's set the second blood alarm on Lydias vial, and tell her to shake it hard when she is safe. So if she gets kidnapped or something, the rapid movement will hopefully trigger the alarm. When the alarm goes off, we will just quickly check, and see whether she's at home, or doing whatever else may trigger the alarm
Japster 2nd Aug 2018, 2:15 AM edit delete reply
Japster
Also, now that we have the portal network up, we can be anywhere in a bunker, and show up to emergencies in a flash. Or at least Mine can, IDK how much experience the others have with the red
AgentKuga 2nd Aug 2018, 2:49 AM edit delete reply
AgentKuga
oho that may not be such a bad idea
Lunar Waffles 2nd Aug 2018, 1:46 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
+1
also Moms red has said that direct \red space\ exposure drives humans insane.
Blue_Elite 2nd Aug 2018, 4:36 AM edit delete reply
I'd recommend putting the 2nd blood alarm back on Grizwald as a) him and Lydia work independently of each other and b) Lydia has a phone to call us.

We can keep experimenting until Fuse gets back and then do the Ilworth power plant. If it turns out to be just a stroll in the park, we can do some ghost hunting and see if we can get any more information. If it turns out there are some malicious ghosts or mutants or what-have-you, then all the better Mine was there.
Don't forget to take the ghost gun.
Skullrama 2nd Aug 2018, 8:51 AM edit delete reply
Mmm, you know, if we're working on multitasking, there's really no reason Mine can't walk along with them and work on constructing a biomech in the Red at the same time. If nothing bad happens, she can mostly focus on mech construction, and if something DOES come up, she can focus on the situation at hand.
Mr. thought 2nd Aug 2018, 7:36 AM edit delete reply
Now that defenses are taken care of. It’s time to experiment to our hearts content. Let’s make mini mine an assassin with the laser implant. Experiment with electric powers but preferably not on anything living or the ghost girls. They are friends not test subjects.As for the biomech let’s make a grapple arm something like using muscle in a spring like configuration to propel it and tendons as a kind of rope. Also have a muscle fiber in the tendon for retraction. It will have bone claws and fingers so it can either grab hold of something or stick by the claws into a wall. Once we have figured out propelling we can also make bio bone guns.
Warp 2nd Aug 2018, 7:39 AM edit delete reply
I feel like this upgrade was something that we were supposed to get a -long- time ago, had we not hidden in the linen cabinet.
ReikoLupus 2nd Aug 2018, 11:06 AM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Hug Liz, put an alarm in the Crow sent to the Arcade...
And test the strength of this cute new arm XD. We can create a meat wall for that. Try to feel how strong is a punch by Caius, and then test how strong is this thing.
Lunar Waffles 2nd Aug 2018, 2:08 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
Realize that Michelle is going to want a bio-mech of her own and ask Dr. Finch if he knows how companies get the memories/skills they use for people like Michelle and Caius, and if it might be possible to adapt it to controlling a bio-mech, or if it might even be-able to be made of mostly flesh. x:
if he doesn't know ask fuse if he can look it up online at some point.(even if he has to hack to do it x:)

(Talking is a free action right? XD)
Mr.thought 2nd Aug 2018, 3:52 PM edit delete reply
+1 on Lunar Waffles.
Warp 2nd Aug 2018, 6:58 PM edit delete reply
I agree on this effort. The ability to transfer memories into fresh brain matter is -already- in Mine's blood power abilities, but if we can duplicate the refined version used for mass produced custom-clone's personalities and skill-sets then we can safely transfer skills between our blooded party members WITHOUT the risk of over-syncing, and flash-grow self-dependant battle golems from portals to The Red!
Skullrama 2nd Aug 2018, 7:24 PM edit delete reply
Maybe not on the growing soldiers with skills implanted thing. We're basically making lab meat people then, and where do we draw the line on them being people instead of golems? It gets messy.
Lunar Waffles 2nd Aug 2018, 7:56 PM edit delete reply
Lunar Waffles
i means more as a control helmet, to replace the need for a brain, because then we have a person with a brain acting as a brain o-o
Crestlinger 2nd Aug 2018, 9:14 PM edit delete reply
In preparation victory.
So power plant exploration next with all willing (bring ghost gun), Minimine laser installation or alternative use for it, research materials, tradesmen after power plant if we find anything neat and bone armor for anyone else who wants it.