Comic 1090 - Move the red

Posted on 29th Jun 2018, 1:15 AM in Chapter VIII
Move the red

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4.75 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 29th Jun 2018, 1:15 AM edit delete
Morgenstern
You get an idea.



You don't know if it's going to work, but you get one.



You have complete control of the red. Traveling the distance between Knox and your open portal would be difficult, but

you have complete control of the red.


You take the large... mass of redspace around Knox, and... move it all. You ostensibly stir the red, taking an entire portion of its infinity and pulling it to a different section of the... everything.

You move a large enough swathe of red that Knox himself stays stationary within it, the red around him just... moves. Really fast.

Like a submarine or a spaceship, just... made of nondescript protomatter.

It works, though--you move the Knox monster substantially closer to the Bunker A portal. Between this, and figuring out how to locate things in the red via bloodspeech... getting lost in the red might not be as terrifying an idea as it was before.


You take a closer look at Knox--especially the extra tissue that's been pushed onto, and grown out of, his original frame. On close examination, you identify the source pretty quickly--the low quality blood, the slightly off texture of the meatstuff... he's mostly bioprinted. Thale likely has one or more bioprinters in a safe, handy location, and may be printing up and/or placing his mind in additional material just for situations like this.

You examine his mind more thoroughly. It is, as you originally thought... a lot like the miniature you that the tradesmen provided, albeit much cruder, and... improvised. It was originally Knox's brain, and there's still vestigial remains of a functioning mind--however, the rest of it has been haphazardly reconstructed and renovated, most of the critical parts of his grey matter getting destroyed in the process. There's no feasible way to bring Knox back--most of his brain has been replaced wholesale with a sub-animal version. You don't think there's anything resembling a consciousness in there.


...That being said, there are lingering stores of information, memories firing off faintly, disconnected from the rest of the mind proper. There could be information in there, but the idea of forcing a sync with... what's left of Knox to try and obtain that information is a very uncomfortable one.

You pull back out, and refocus on the present. While you should still have a decent chunk of money, you have been spending it pretty liberally--and you're about to do even more spending. You ask Elizabeth if she can start managing the group's finances, so you don't end up accidentally going broke.

"It would be an apt use of my abilities," Liz replies. She hesitates, or at least, puts off the air of hesitation--glancing aside and huffing a bit before agreeing. "...I suppose I can."

You get the feeling she really does want to, she just doesn't want to seem too eager about it.

You also bring up helping the ghost girls. ...The rest of them. You've freed Tesla and gotten her used to the group, you've returned Faraday to normal... all that's left is Edison. You... kind of want to take care of that before taking any prolonged breaks.

"You sure?," Caius asks. "Y'know it ain't gonna be easy."

"Yeah, I..." Michelle scratches her head, grimacing slightly. "I'm down for tryin' to rehabilitate Edison, but... if this gets outta hand, you're still drained from earlier."

"Even if you were at full strength," Fuse says, "Edison damn near killed us both last time. Like... I trust your judgement, but--" He shakes his head, and exhales slowly. "Man. I am... not looking forward to more homicidal ghost bullshit."

"It will be slightly different this go round," Dr. Finch states. "We're aware of what she's capable of, AND we have a weapon specifically designed for handling imprints. If a fight does ensue it will be on our terms, not hers."

"Plus," Michelle adds, "we got two other ghosts on our side. I ain't expectin' 'em to fight or nothin', but... Edison's gotta turn it down a notch when she sees her sisters. ...Right?"

There's a long pause, with no one really wanting to answer.

Michelle tries again, louder. "Right?"

Comments:

Sekwel 29th Jun 2018, 2:02 AM edit delete reply
I wouldn't expect the other two to fight, but they might also know how to handle Edison -- calm her down and the like.

At the very least we could go in, hoping for something of a truce with her, and then work for more later.
Twyll 29th Jun 2018, 2:28 AM edit delete reply
The problem is that once we get her out of the tube, it's going to be very difficult to get her back *in* the tube-- and we know from the scientists' records that she has broken out of their containment room before, so we can't leave her there for too long.
Blue_Elite 29th Jun 2018, 2:55 AM edit delete reply
"... After three separate attempts to escape the holding cell (including one physical assault of a researcher), the subject has been confined to their assigned transport cylinder on a permanent basis. ..."
They never confirmed a successful escape, only that she attempted it. Also in before, "She cracked her holding cell," as that one belongs to Faraday; Edison's holding cell is undamaged.
Twyll 29th Jun 2018, 4:30 AM edit delete reply
Ah, I took the fact that she managed to injure a researcher as being proof that she *did* in fact successfully escape-- after all, the rooms don't really seem designed for the researchers to enter them, so either she lured a researcher in there somehow or got out. (It's possible that it happened while she had been taken out for testing at some point or another, though.)

We probably ought to ask the other girls about these incidents. I really don't think we should be making plans under the assumption that she *didn't* somehow successfully escape. Better safe than sorry.
Barswanian 29th Jun 2018, 7:49 AM edit delete reply
We should ask the girls if that is something they are willing to do.
There's little reason to force edison on them, if they think she's too far gone.
Twyll 29th Jun 2018, 2:26 AM edit delete reply
See, I told y'all we could learn *something* from keeping Knox around! I just didn't expect that thing to be how to travel more easily through the red XD

If we don't wanna force sync with the Knoxstrosity, can we at least copy his brain somehow in more durable materials, or perhaps "fossilize" it, like petrified wood is created by slowly replacing materials that decay with ones that don't? If we can make it work, we can theoretically preserve the neural connections that store his memories until we figure out how to read memories without doing the whole force-sync rigamarole.

I am strongly against waking up Edison before our spa day. That sounds like a bad idea to me. We can hope that seeing her sisters will help Edison calm down, but trauma doesn't just *go away* that easily. We should at *least* seek out more resources about how to deal with troubled kids-- for example, reading up on Reactive Attachment Disorder might help.

I think we should release her eventually, just... not while we're drained. And ideally we'd really want somebody more experienced in managing kids with trauma to help.

Hmmm... Mav *did* work in a church in the lower tiers (even if it was a cover for mind control, it still did churchy things, so she might have experience in working with troubled kids if only because of the location), and she's the only mom we know. Could Mav help us? We should talk the idea over with her.
Nayru9572 29th Jun 2018, 2:27 AM edit delete reply
Personally I'd say check in on the ghost girls and maybe ask for their opinion? If they say it's okay regardless, then I'd prefer it if we first went to that spa.
pkrankow 29th Jun 2018, 7:00 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
While I feel Edison being released into containment so she can interact with her sisters should happen before spa day asking would be a good idea. Telsa and Faraday might be in for a stressful time and need to prepare.
Leafia_Barrett 29th Jun 2018, 8:17 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
This is a good idea. Don't drop this on them without their say-so.
FunnyJoke 29th Jun 2018, 2:30 AM edit delete reply
It's these moments i have no idea what to do. If we are going to free edison, well first, rest until we are ready. We know what happened last time, but at least we'll be well rested.
Espylacopa 29th Jun 2018, 2:36 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
Seems likely, Michelle. Edison only became unhinged after Incident F, after losing Faraday. There's obviously more to her than murderous intent and Faraday will be instrumental in reaching the deeper parts of Edison that lie beyond her negative impulses.
Blue_Elite 29th Jun 2018, 3:06 AM edit delete reply
I was thinking we'd release Edison into her holding cell tomorrow before going to the spa but still tomorrow when we've recovered. The idea being specifically if she continues to be uncooperative, she can stew in her holding cell with her sisters to keep her company (from outside or from within their choice) while we're nowhere near.
Hopefully after the hours we'll be away, by the time we get back Edison will have calmed down and we can put that business behind us completely.

The alternatives are to have her still possibly fuming while we work to get Bunker E's power transferred to Ilworth (giving her plenty of opportunities to mess with us while still possibly mad) or delay releasing Edison until all the business with Ilworth is resolved so we have no reason to have to be nearby while she's mad.
Guest 29th Jun 2018, 4:52 AM edit delete reply
+1

There's a containment room, so combat is a non-issue. If she needs time alone with her sisters why not while we're taking a break?
Twyll 29th Jun 2018, 6:05 PM edit delete reply
Why not? Because releasing her into the room and then just immediately leaving means we won't have a chance to monitor her or interact with her while she's there. We'd be leaving the incredibly important task of interacting with her for the first time after she's released to a couple of children. They don't need that kind of pressure. They may want to do the majority of the interacting, but we still need to be there to provide support and step in if we need to.

If she *does* escape (remember that she did manage to injure a researcher during her escape attempts before, which means she successfully got out to where the researchers were), then the other girls will be the only ones there to deal with that. We don't want to leave that kind of responsibility on their shoulders; they're kids!
Caydenite 29th Jun 2018, 3:10 AM edit delete reply
Whilst I remain full committed to reuniting those girls as soon as we can, our team do raise some valuable points. I suspect there won't be much of a fight, as presumably her sister being, for want of a better word, 'alive' has got to be more interesting than trying to murder us. Probably wouldn't hurt if we were rested first, though. So yeah, If people wanna spa it up before the family reunion, I'm okay with us doing that.

We can see if the martians want to get out, stretch their legs and check out where they'll be living whilst we do that, that makes sense, but they probably won't actually want to move in till we've got some basics sorted, like power, water, food and shelter not at risk of collapse; Y'know, the little things.
Crestlinger 29th Jun 2018, 4:28 AM edit delete reply
Spa First. Will want to be at Best before attempting Anything else kooky. Also, when releasing Edison release her in one of the whole rooms and have her two sisters in the one next to it as a precaution of Edison Still being nuts and finding out her powers can harm them.
Ablaze 29th Jun 2018, 7:12 AM edit delete reply
So here's a weird idea:

What if you took the 3 ghost girls with the Mina clone, and cast the upgrade spell on them...
Cyanic 29th Jun 2018, 8:59 AM edit delete reply
The upgrade spell is specifically warned against the use on people

Also, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't wanna trade the ghost sisters in, they're friends, not resources!
Fishbulb 29th Jun 2018, 8:38 AM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
I suggest checking out the two lingering imprints in Ilworth with the ghost strengthening ritual first, to see if there's any information that may be gleaned from them. Could be unrelated, but you never know.

Then maybe check with Tesla and Faraday to see if they have any ideas how to calm Edison down.
Cyanic 29th Jun 2018, 8:58 AM edit delete reply
She'll be at least non-homicidal, if she's not amicable. We should ask the ghost kids in E if they can handle the container, like opening it so that the first people Edison sees are her sisters

If we're serious about this, let's contact Gesenai (through Mac) and ask her how she managed to get Edison deployed without her guys being needled

Turn as much variables into constants,

Even if we're not gonna reunite them yet, it might be good to just bring Edison's containment unit into Bunker E so they can have a pseudo-reunion for now
pkrankow 29th Jun 2018, 9:08 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
At least reducing the range of variables is a good idea.

Telsa had an aparent "cooldown" when the cannister was opened.

http://bloodismine.thecomicseries.com/comics/892
PurpleKetchup 29th Jun 2018, 2:19 PM edit delete reply
Gesenai also offered Edison thread and needle.
Offering only thread could send the right message. Plus her sisters being around, she's go back to standard ghostly mischief (which is a lot easier to manage, and not quite as much a bother since we're not studying her, unlike her previous handlers).
Twyll 29th Jun 2018, 6:07 PM edit delete reply
We definitely need to gather more information before releasing Edison, I agree. I'd like to ask Tesla and Faraday about Edison's previous escape attempts. How successful were they? They were called "attempts," but she did manage to injure a researcher-- so did she make it out of the containment room? If so, how, and how do we prevent her from doing that again?

Edit: Also, we definitely don't know for sure that she *will* be non-homicidal. She's a person, and people don't just heal from things that quickly and easily. I do believe we can help her in the long run, but we need to be incredibly cautious when we first take her out because we can't assume *anything* about how she will behave.
mr. thought 29th Jun 2018, 9:14 AM edit delete reply
I know we are talking about the ghost girls and the spa day but there has been something on my mind. We have to every time we change bunkers go out into the street to swipe the card. The problem being that that door and street are completely undefended.But there is a quick solution just place down so blood in little nicks around the street so its not obvious but came quickly be made to make blood portals for creating meat walls or minions like lumpy. It would greatly bring me peace of mind.
Twelveseal 29th Jun 2018, 9:42 AM edit delete reply
Twelveseal
I'm in favor of asking Tes and Fara if they'd like us to bring out Edison now, and how they want to do it. Ed needs a timeout of sorts in her containment room since we nabbed her while she was in combat mode, and the canister seems to sort of "pause" the ghost inside. Meaning she'll come out likely still ready to go.

If the others want to be in the room we put her in first, or if they want to be outside it, that's up to them.

Also in favor of checking out the Ilworth ghosts, but that should be handled by the Martians, imo. Gives them a chance to relax a bit outside the bunker. Maybe scout future homes, that sort of thing.
Memo 29th Jun 2018, 2:10 PM edit delete reply
Memo
I agree with this!
ReikoLupus 29th Jun 2018, 11:10 AM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
We can place Edison in her "Room". The one from where ghosts can't escape XD.
And bring Faraday and Tesla to talk with Edison. She IS dangerous... But I really doubt that she is going to try to Kill us in front of her sister. Even more considering that we saved them, and even now we are taking care of them XD.
But, only to be secure: Bring the weapon to fight ghosts... And a table. If things go south, having a table can save us like in the last fight against her XD.
nicolas arboleya 29th Jun 2018, 3:33 PM edit delete reply
Alright! Someone listened to my idea!
So there is one more thing that could be done with little energy ... try using the bunker site 1 key from inside bunker X
1977 29th Jun 2018, 3:51 PM edit delete reply
How do you intend to use a keycard from inside when all the cardreaders are outside?
Nic 4th Jul 2018, 11:29 AM edit delete reply
I was under the impression there were readers inside. That's why they can go from one bunkr to the others without going outside first
Guost 4th Jul 2018, 2:06 PM edit delete reply
Pretty sure we do need to step outside first.
Wii G 29th Jun 2018, 3:56 PM edit delete reply
On the subject of bunker X, we never got around to checking what's on the other side of the door when its disconnected.
mr. thought 29th Jun 2018, 4:45 PM edit delete reply
Also we still haven't put to use that laser implant we got. Maybe put it in Lumpy so Lumpy has both bone armor that turns into a mace for close combat and long range fighting capability with the laser.
lil Joshu 29th Jun 2018, 4:49 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Next experiment, just for fun (part of relaxing is playing around, afterall!)... see if we can do simple cosmetic changes... make an area of the red... yellow.

Then, when we transport things through the red "like a submarine or a spaceship", we could make it yellow, and call it our yellow submarine. We must do this.
Archon 29th Jun 2018, 4:57 PM edit delete reply
I see.
Rehabilitating "Knox" isn't impossible, but it stands a decent chance of creating a semi-generic person rather than actually restoring Knox.

Anyways, attempting to sync with Knox should be done later, after rest is had. Even if we fail to obtain the information we seek, the experience should be informative in and of itself.
Guest 29th Jun 2018, 7:32 PM edit delete reply
Create a person? Do you really think it's a good idea to be playing g... right, never-mind.