Comic 1066 - Reproduce Incident F

Posted on 11th Jun 2018, 9:36 PM in Chapter VIII
Reproduce Incident F

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (2 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 11th Jun 2018, 9:36 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You ask Mom's red how they're doing.

"I am fine," replies the giant mouth on the wall. "I have finished preparing myself to function as storage. If you have anything you wish to stow away, bring it to me, and I will swallow it."

"Well," Fuse says, "that's definitely something I'd love to unhear."


To copy the steps of Incident F, you'll need to turn into a ghost, load yourself into one of the containment canisters, and have the canister plugged into the big Odin machine. For that, you'll need someone to actually plug the canister in, and someone to activate the machine.

Caius seemed fairly invested in the plight of the girls, so you ask him to accompany you. Dr. Finch understands the machine better than anyone else, but is fairly busy--and you have something you want to try.

You ask Elizabeth if she could come with you, and help activate the machine. It'll involve syncing knowledge from Dr. Finch, and... well, being in a weird ghost bunker.

"I suppose I can," she replies.

With that, you, Caius, and Liz head to Bunker E. Caius retrieves Tesla's canister, and you sync with Dr. Finch and Elizabeth so she can draw from Finch's knowledge about the experiment. You're curious if your body can maintain the sync while you're away from it.

You light the candles in Bunker E, and perform the ritual to separate your mind from your body as an imprint.

Your imprinted form emerges at decent strength, even without you focusing on it, or doing any strengthening rituals. It seems like your astral form "remembers" how potent it was last time. ...Or something. At any rate, you're visible to the others.

You make your way to the back room. Caius puts the canister down so you can climb inside it. He screws the lid back on... and he plugs the canister into the device.

Liz, drawing on Dr. Finch's knowledge, begins to power up the machine... then overload it, to put you at Faraday levels. Your blood is, in fact, keeping the sync together even with your 'mind' outside it, your red acting semi-autonomously without your instruction.


The sensation is... hard to describe. You don't really feel anything, but you experience it--you know what's happening. You feel yourself become distorted, twisted, your existence bent and squeezed in strange and undesirable ways.

You feel yourself being spread, but becoming denser, at the same time. You feel yourself becoming too large to fit, but continuing to grow regardless. You feel part of yourself being forced into the rest of you, and again, and again, layers upon layers strangling every inch of your mass until the surface breaks and you spill out.


image


You find yourself in a subconsciously induced representation of your own mind to help cope with the trauma of being mentally dispersed.

Despite the room being very familiar, you feel a little lost.

Comments:

Cyanic 11th Jun 2018, 10:27 PM edit delete reply
...ch...check the computer see if anything's on it

and check everything else see if it's how we remember it

I think this room is just pretty much a staging area/jumping off point so we need to actually prepare in here until we're ready to leave and try to "feel" ourselves in the real room, feeling is the first step, before we can go back to reconstitution
Gigafreak 11th Jun 2018, 10:37 PM edit delete reply
That crack in the wall... did it get bigger since last time? Oh dear.

There isn't normally a door in this room. Guess we should check it out after seeing if the computer works.
Espylacopa 12th Jun 2018, 12:34 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
If there was an exit door and we went through it would that mean we're out of our mind?
Blue_Elite 12th Jun 2018, 3:32 AM edit delete reply
If it causes us to leave the site we're at, of course.
After all: Out of site, out of mind.

(Maybe we can get Faraday to show up by cracking puns until she can't stand no more.)
pkrankow 12th Jun 2018, 7:29 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
The crack is where the door was...
Gigafreak 12th Jun 2018, 8:37 AM edit delete reply
It's a closet in reality. It's a blank wall in the mindscape version of this room-- this can't be a simulation of the real room, since those plushies and computer are at Bunker A now (and the actual hallway door is missing completely). The fact that there is a door where there shouldn't be... probably means there's something significant behind it.
ReikoLupus 11th Jun 2018, 10:40 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Check everything in the room, and the contents of the books and archives in the Computer. After that, try to make contact with your Red.
Gigafreak 11th Jun 2018, 10:52 PM edit delete reply
Even if Mine can't reach Red, she should probably see what she DOES have access to, in this mental simulation version of herself. Check her inventory and see if she can use... mental simulation versions of her blood powers.
Blue_Elite 11th Jun 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete reply
Just in case anyone is worried, it looks like the brain damage hasn't gotten any worse from the last time we were here.

See if we can call out to Faraday. Maybe we can hit her up on Instant Messenger from our computer? Check the closet and under the bed (that's where Red has come out of before when returning from the outside world). If we can get her in here (or at least find out if we can contact her from here) we might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone in getting both Faraday and Jane back to one piece.

Also getting some heavy Yume Nikki vibes. Maybe we should try going to sleep in the bed and see if we can enter a dream world from here. :P
Gigafreak 11th Jun 2018, 10:56 PM edit delete reply
A dream world within a dream world? Do we need to imagine up an eternally-spinning top?

If this is a mindscape chapter, we might not end up in Mine's house hallway after stepping through that door. Might end up in a version of the hospital (before or after monsters), Bunker A, or meatvision environments from when Red was trying to frighten Mine.

This makes three of three mindscape chapters with people whose names start with M. Michelle, Macland, Mine. Guess next on the list would be... Zene's mother, Mav?
Espylacopa 12th Jun 2018, 12:11 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
The only other M I can remember right now is Mortimer Hodges and we got no blood in that guy.
Twelveseal 12th Jun 2018, 12:24 AM edit delete reply
What about Mom's Red? It'd be an interesting way to learn more about how Mine's powers work and the origin of the Fragments. And one possible way to get back a certain lost memory...
Espylacopa 12th Jun 2018, 12:31 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
Oh, right. I was trying to think of names and Moms Red isn't really one, not exactly.
Blue_Elite 12th Jun 2018, 3:38 AM edit delete reply
There's Mocha, the slightly-more-popular-than-no-name-at-all (but still not named in-canon) of the light-gray cat. We have yet to try a force sync on an animal (or sync an animal at all).
Guost 12th Jun 2018, 4:04 AM edit delete reply
I prefer the cats' Lovecraftian names.
Cruentum 12th Jun 2018, 9:35 AM edit delete reply
So speaking of Mom's Red... Where's our Red? Did she finally disappear? 'cause I liked Red.
Twelveseal 12th Jun 2018, 1:39 PM edit delete reply
She's likely still in the body, like last time.
undeadDreamer 11th Jun 2018, 10:50 PM edit delete reply
Hello? Is anyone else in here?
WalkerOfSorrow 11th Jun 2018, 11:18 PM edit delete reply
Backing this up! Let's see if we're alone in here.
Twelveseal 11th Jun 2018, 10:54 PM edit delete reply
Agreed. Take a moment to collect yourself and get better oriented. Then start checking the room and computer.

We can try contacting Red, but since she's not in her body, it's probably not going to do much. Maybe with a change in perspective and self-awareness, but not right now.

This doesn't appear to be like some sort of self-sync, though I suppose it's possible. I suspect what we're working with is a subconscious separation between Mine and Faraday. We're currently sharing space with her in the electrical circuit, if I'm understanding this right. That suggests that, currently, Mine and Faraday are connected. That door probably leads to Faraday's mind.
Skullrama 11th Jun 2018, 11:26 PM edit delete reply
Take a look at the stuff with personal meaning. The stuffed animals, the books on the shelf, the bed... perhaps remember that it should be bloody as heck.

I think it's going to be realllly important to maintain a strong sense of self going forward, and it starts here. Remember who you ARE.
Caydenite 12th Jun 2018, 4:34 AM edit delete reply
Yeah, definitely take some time to centre our self and shore up our self identity before heading out.
Caydenite 12th Jun 2018, 7:23 AM edit delete reply
Thought I'd already commented, but don't see it. But yeah, I definitely agree we should take a moment to centre ourselves and strengthen our sense of self.
PurpleKetchup 11th Jun 2018, 11:43 PM edit delete reply
So... technically, Faraday should be able to interfere with Mine directly now.
Start playing Hide and seek ?
Espylacopa 12th Jun 2018, 12:26 AM edit delete reply
Espylacopa
Check the closet, the bookshelf and the computer. If we can't find anything noteworthy start with what we know from being the blood and pulling ourself back from that. Try to feel out what's similar and what's different.
nicolas arboleya 12th Jun 2018, 12:46 AM edit delete reply
After this. Bunker x and use site 1 key.
Twelveseal 12th Jun 2018, 4:11 AM edit delete reply
Also, inspired by the awesome suggestion of calling the Tradesmen with Caius's earpiece, we should also try some other experimental calls. If we need advice, call the Library. Because. And since ghosts are a thing, try dialing up some dead folks, like Dr. Calloway, or Mine's parents. No telling what this thing's limits are. We might even be able to use it offensively...
Blue_Elite 12th Jun 2018, 5:13 AM edit delete reply
Crank call Thale and ask if his bioprinter is running?
Twelveseal 12th Jun 2018, 5:29 AM edit delete reply
Nah, dial Carpenter and Thale and track the calls using Fuse's skills and that alien computer to determine their locations. Potentially use the thing for IM texting to Carpenter after networking with the alien comp to upload ransomware into his cybernetics. Depending on how modified he is, and if he's packing that braincase mod from shroom guy, it might outright kill him.

Do similar with the bioprinters using a trojan program that triggers when they start printing monsters or tainted parts.
lil Joshu 12th Jun 2018, 2:51 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
+1 to Caius experimenting with phone.

+1 to Caius Crank calling Thale.

+1 to calling Library

+1 to ordering an anchovey pizza for Carpenter
chaosblitz 12th Jun 2018, 5:07 PM edit delete reply
No Carpenter's the kind of evil person who might actually LIKE anchovies! Get him none pizza with left beef (or something similarly weird.)
Nayru9572 12th Jun 2018, 4:18 AM edit delete reply
Check if Faraday's hiding in the closet or something.
pkrankow 12th Jun 2018, 7:30 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Can't hurt. Under the bed too.
Ablaze 12th Jun 2018, 5:39 AM edit delete reply
Try using the computer to contact Caius's super phone. That should give him a surprise!
pkrankow 12th Jun 2018, 7:26 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
I think I like this idea.
lil Joshu 12th Jun 2018, 2:45 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
+1
CrazyBen45 12th Jun 2018, 1:17 PM edit delete reply
when was our last inventory check?
CrazyBen45 12th Jun 2018, 1:24 PM edit delete reply
Like, what happen to inventory guy?
Caydenite 12th Jun 2018, 2:53 PM edit delete reply
It might be a little to complicated at this stage; I mean we own an entire town at this point.
Caydenite 12th Jun 2018, 2:54 PM edit delete reply
It might be a little to complicated at this stage; I mean we own an entire town at this point.
Blue_Elite 12th Jun 2018, 3:29 PM edit delete reply
Funny you should mention that. I'll hopefully have a big surprise to reveal soon.
lil Joshu 12th Jun 2018, 2:52 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Spackle crack... or install a window there.
Caydenite 12th Jun 2018, 2:59 PM edit delete reply
I feel the view outside from our sane mind might not be pretty.
Blue_Elite 12th Jun 2018, 3:28 PM edit delete reply
Yes, definitely a picture rather than a window. I think a fancy cat would look wonderful.
lil Joshu 12th Jun 2018, 3:47 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Might be useful to know though... so... maybe a window with a normally closed blind that has a fancy cat print on it?