Comic 1041 - Discuss what to do about the monster

Posted on 22nd May 2018, 5:29 PM in Hope
Discuss what to do about the monster

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 22nd May 2018, 5:29 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You quickly inform everyone of what you witnessed.

The monster is big. Really big.

Caius starts to call Jury back, and warn her maybe NOT to mess with this thing. Michelle, Dr. Finch, and Elizabeth return to their original goal of shopping for weapons.

You begin to discuss how to... uh... handle this situation.

You pitch saxitoxin as a possibility. It's a potent neurotoxin, and occurs naturally--you could possibly reproduce the process that makes it in the red, and then hit the church monster with it.

"That... that could work," Dr. Finch states. "We would need to catch the creature off guard, however. ...Or or or rather, when Thale is off guard. We've seen that he can isolate parts of the body to prevent blood circulation, it stands to reason he can do the same to prevent the spread of toxin. If Thale's not monitoring it, though, I highly doubt it's capable of disconnecting its own anatomy unaided. I... believe saxitoxin may be rather complex in its structure, as well. Crafting it in the red may be a test."

"I'm thinkin' we oughta just stealth it," Michelle suggests. "Get in, grab the Griz, get out. I was down to rumble when I thought that thing was smaller, but if it's bigger than the damn church we don't need to be fightin' it. It's too big, and where it's at puts us at too much a disadvantage."

You update everybody else on what you, Michelle, and Dr. Finch discussed.

Fuse speaks up. "We could do both. ...Stealth kill it. You moved stuff into the bug, right? If you could get a bug that size inside the monster, you could find its brain or heart or whatever that thing needs and just... make the bug bigger. Give it spikes, turn it into poison, make it explode, whatever. Use the fact that it's fucking HUGE against it. ...And hope it doesn't have like, forty redundant brains or something, I guess. If you made a big enough spider explode inside it, maybe it doesn't matter how many brains it has."

Comments:

Mochi 22nd May 2018, 5:45 PM edit delete reply
Mochi
caius, sweetie, is there a way to de-summon that armor or are you just gonna wear it forever now?
PurpleKetchup 22nd May 2018, 5:55 PM edit delete reply
I wager it's surprisingly comfy.
Blue_Elite 22nd May 2018, 5:56 PM edit delete reply
Caius is now a bone armor hermit, eternally bound to his protective bone prison.
Madd 22nd May 2018, 6:55 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Caius doesn't want to remove his armor. :V
Gigafreak 22nd May 2018, 8:56 PM edit delete reply
Well, it sprung out of his skin. Maybe it tore through his shirt, so he's wearing it as a replacement shirt.

Not that he's ever shown a problem with marching around shirtless, but it's the best argument I've got.
lil Joshu 22nd May 2018, 9:38 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
As a thought for an armor upgrade... add semi-flexible cartilage at all the openings, and plant-like CO2 recycling to make it effectively a spacesuit.
pkrankow 22nd May 2018, 10:46 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Yes. We should have rebreathers, and spacesuits.
Golnor 22nd May 2018, 10:41 PM edit delete reply
This should be noted.
Nayru9572 22nd May 2018, 5:46 PM edit delete reply
Nice idea, Fuse.
We might want to keep this for after we stealth rescue Griz, because if the monster dies Thale will know exactly what our next move is if he's still there.
Skullrama 22nd May 2018, 5:55 PM edit delete reply
I concur - we will, ideally, want to get the bug snuck into position for assassinating the huge monster first, then infiltrate and find Griz, maybe try to get the safe as well. If things go to shit, put the bug bomb into action. If we get away undetected, wait until we're a safe distance away, THEN bug bomb the giant monster.
Akasha 22nd May 2018, 6:07 PM edit delete reply
Akasha
Honestly, I'd say we're gonna need bugs for this. As in a real serious swarm of 'em. Either way, I definitely agree with saving Griz first before we deal with the monster.
Skullrama 22nd May 2018, 6:21 PM edit delete reply
A single bug has a better chance of getting in undetected. Once we have it in place, if we're going to send mass to it from the red, we can do it at a crazy rate and much as we want, I'm sure - we usually have to be careful not to do to much.

Actually, that brings up the concern of trying to let it gain a crazy amount of mass crazy fast while still exerting enough control that WE don't burst through the floor of the church and destroy everything. It'll be... an interesting challenge.
Gigafreak 22nd May 2018, 5:48 PM edit delete reply
I'd vote for the "assassin bug" plan.

While the team is shopping, I guess we can snoop around some more with our (non-assassin) bug. Is Hope's safe attached to the walls/floor? We could conceivably just have Caius pick it up and walk away with it, if it's not bolted to anything.
Blue_Elite 22nd May 2018, 6:05 PM edit delete reply
We should ask Elizabeth if there's any way to determine whether Thale is active or not. If we're going to attack, striking while he's "asleep" is the best chance we've got.

Striking tonight when hopefully both Thale and Hope are off guard may be the best chance we've got. Literally just run in there, grab Grizwald, and run out if he's not being guarded.

I'm assuming the autonomous nature of the hummer monster and the Hope beast may be a good indication that Thale is currently inactive.
chaosblitz 22nd May 2018, 9:49 PM edit delete reply
ooh, good idea. If there isn't though, we should just try to get in when Hope and his posse aren't looking.
ReikoLupus 22nd May 2018, 6:08 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
For now, let's go with the bug XD.
Let's create a Bug now, and experiment with it to find a good way to Kill that damn Colossus. Poison, exploding, eating it from inside, whatever. Let's experiment what with can do first XD.
1977 22nd May 2018, 6:13 PM edit delete reply
How about blooding the monster instead of killing it?
We now can quickly draw blood from the red, so instead of poisoning it just pump it full of blood.
Skullrama 22nd May 2018, 6:23 PM edit delete reply
I mean, theoretically we could, but... what do we do with a massive lump monster that barely fits in the tunnels as it is? Deeeestroy the church?
pkrankow 22nd May 2018, 6:32 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
If we take it over we are just, most likely, going to kill it.

If it was/is a "person" with an actual mind killing it might still be best, because otherwise we will have to make a body around the brain(s) that can fit in normal places and dissolve the rest without making the mind MORE insane than becoming a monster caused.
Gigafreak 22nd May 2018, 7:09 PM edit delete reply
Indeed. Blooding it and poisoning it would both be lethal in the end, but blood's way easier to get from the Red. Our assassin-bug can just... squirt out a continuous stream of blood once it's in position.
chaosblitz 22nd May 2018, 9:51 PM edit delete reply
also, with what happened to Elizabeth, I don't think we *could* blood it before Thale notices and tries to cut us off from it. It's best to just try to blow the thing's brain and hope Thale isn't quick enough to grow another one.
Gigafreak 22nd May 2018, 10:57 PM edit delete reply
Thale responded to blooding by quickly necrotizing (rotting) the flesh around the blood's entry point. This is, of course, what some of the strongest poisons do anyway. There is functionally very little difference between blooding it and poisoning it, in any scenario.
Skullrama 22nd May 2018, 6:34 PM edit delete reply
So, slight hitch in plans here. We want to get in and grab Griz, but I don't believe we have identified an entrance for our human squad. The vents and the tunnels are both a no-go. Are we going to walk through the front door? ...Grappling hooks to the second floor?
pkrankow 22nd May 2018, 6:39 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Rappel off the level above?
Gigafreak 22nd May 2018, 8:59 PM edit delete reply
This... might work. Which tier was Hope's church in, again? It wasn't the TOP tier, was it? Or heck, maybe there are tall neighboring buildings we could use to sneak in from the church's rooftop access or an upper-floor window.
Anders313 22nd May 2018, 8:00 PM edit delete reply
Use the bug to create a blood portal?
Gigafreak 22nd May 2018, 10:59 PM edit delete reply
Jane doesn't know how to (consciously) navigate through the Red from one portal to another, yet. Plus the others will need a breathable air supply for the trip even if she did.
Blue_Elite 22nd May 2018, 8:34 PM edit delete reply
The door to Grizwald is right next to the entrance. As long as we've got a bug(s) monitoring the guards, it'd be possible to sneak in and out as long as there aren't too many guards at night.

We still have the nigh-impossible task of killing Thale's monster before it eats the congregation on Sunday so having SOMETHING be easy isn't out of the question.
Guest 23rd May 2018, 12:53 AM edit delete reply
If Griz is really close to the entrance... How about putting some "accessories" on the hummer and just barging straight in and out? Sure, we can't quite make a huge golem yet, but we could slap some arms and legs on the hummer, yes? If the printer from the first chapter could combine machine and flesh we could do the same, no?
Guest 22nd May 2018, 7:28 PM edit delete reply
Hehe Boom. If it works violently enough there's no hope for Thale et al trying to hide the mess from the feds.
As for getting Grizwald out, Bug in the system: short out/hack the power after getting info on the company supplying the cameras and such, blackout while there, grab and go, throwing a few vials near the beastie that can then roll into position. Backup plan of live video fed to the feds after the snatch and grab.
Baron11704 22nd May 2018, 7:50 PM edit delete reply
Have the Hummer Crew check the skies, rooftops, or roads, for any followers, we can't risk it if Thale had a backup plan
7DS 22nd May 2018, 9:14 PM edit delete reply
The assassin bug idea sounds interesting but part of me is concerned we might be teaching Thale a new trick, much like he did with us at that other church.
Madd 22nd May 2018, 9:19 PM edit delete reply
Madd
Spike bug is the way to go. :V
lil Joshu 22nd May 2018, 9:39 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
I would like to re-suggest my bug-blood-portal blitz-and-run idea.

Specifically the idea I suggested Here With the addendum that we load everyone into the hummer first and take the hummer through so they don't actually have to get blood-wet.
pkrankow 23rd May 2018, 7:44 AM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Get the armor markings on Griz.
Make a blood pool for portaling.
Put the bug in his ear and feed him the words.
Since he is inside our red armor, we can take him through a portal to wherever we need.
Concerns
Life support
Mental effects ... can we suspend or sedate Griz while moving him?
lil Joshu 22nd May 2018, 9:49 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Alternative idea 2...

We just learned we can replenish the blood in our bloodbug... why not...

... REALLY replenish it?

Flood the church, blooding the under-church monster, the likely-queened people in the church (maybe not Grizwald since he asked to be blooded... we have control over movement, no reason we have to blood him). Basically uber-smash the uber-smasher; and as he has no access to a red, Thale can't duplicate it.
ReikoLupus 22nd May 2018, 10:12 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
That would scary out the hell of Thale XD.
But since we can't even make the autor accept making giant golems to be our Vanguard, I doubt he'll let us create a lake of Blood XD.
Skullrama 22nd May 2018, 10:42 PM edit delete reply
I mean, we probably could create a torrent of blood (though we might have to practice increasing volume first), but wouldnt that like... Drown everyone there?
pkrankow 22nd May 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
We don't want to spread thin or drink deep.

However you may be onto something..
lil Joshu 23rd May 2018, 1:39 PM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
True on not spreading thin/drinking deep... maybe we should ask the tradesmen about what qualifies as stretching thin or deep? Though, it could be that, it does strike me as more an 'old red' tactic than a 'new red' tactic, and we don't want to reset the universe.