Comic 1039 - Find out what's chasing the hummer

Posted on 21st May 2018, 5:28 PM in Hope
Find out what's chasing the hummer

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 4.67 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 21st May 2018, 5:28 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
While your group starts hatching a plan, you have one of your tunnel rats begin scurrying to where the hummer is located in the hope of seeing what monster lurks below.

"We could try baitin' it into traffic," Michelle suggests.

"We would be gambling a great deal on the limits of its perception," Dr. Finch states. "It may well be able to differentiate between the hummer and other vehicles. ...It is a large vehicle, and not exactly silent."

"I know for certain that Thale employs engineered employees with impeccable senses," Elizabeth adds. "The warehouse I was stationed at was sorted in part by smell. If he's integrated anything resembling that hearing-wise into the creature, confusing it won't be easy."

"Alright," Michelle concedes. "So Plan Two, then. You guys and... Lumpy, I guess, take the hummer. I'll take the car, but I'll try to find a way into the tunnels. You guys lure it somewhere, and I'll just kill the stupid thing."

"Are you certain you can handle it alone?," Dr. Finch asks.

Michelle shrugs, and grins. "If it's fast enough to keep up with a car and built for hearin', I'm gonna guess it ain't a tank. I've fought worse."

"And what if it's listening to our plan?," Liz points out.

"I'm sure it lacks the intellect to interpret and work around us," Dr. Finch replies. "Thale has a hundred other things he should be more concerned about at the moment--I doubt he's monitoring this one monster. I suspect he gave it enough of a mind to fulfill this task, but making it any smarter opens a slew of other problems."

"Besides," Michelle adds, "even if it DOES know what we're doin', what's it gonna do about it? Stop followin' us?"


Your rat finds the monster, positioned on the ceiling beneath the hummer.

Yup. It's definitely a monster.

Comments:

1977 21st May 2018, 5:54 PM edit delete reply
Specifically, it's a blonde monster.
Eternity 21st May 2018, 6:14 PM edit delete reply
Wait, a BLONDE monster?

This is gonna sound kind of out there, but what if this used to be one of Jane's mom's almost-clones...?
Gigafreak 21st May 2018, 6:17 PM edit delete reply
And either it has antigravity hair or a terrifying quantity of hairspray.
Fishbulb 21st May 2018, 6:35 PM edit delete reply
Fishbulb
It's exactly this.
Baron11704 21st May 2018, 6:18 PM edit delete reply
Yeah why does it have hair?? Is that how it hears? That might be it actually
Gigafreak 21st May 2018, 6:25 PM edit delete reply
D'you think it can hear our rat? Maaaybe we should probably... have the rat scamper away in a completely normal "startled rat" fashion, to avoid raising suspicions. Chances may be favorably slim that Thale has a "blood alarm" on this creature to draw his attention to it when the Hummer moves (if he even knows how to set blood alarms at all), but let's mask our animal surveillance trick for as long as it remains reasonably practical.
Gigafreak 21st May 2018, 6:51 PM edit delete reply
Oh, wait. The others will be in the hummer with Lumpy. Lumpy doesn't actually need to be the driver, then.
fellow 21st May 2018, 9:23 PM edit delete reply
fellow
Wow, Elizabeth has really put on weight.
Crestlinger 21st May 2018, 6:19 PM edit delete reply
Beast weaponry by pic and such: teeth, claws, tail, speed
Possible TKO kills:
timed manhole cover to the face, trapped ceiling, minigun around the corner

Avoidance: mechanic shop+hoist, neutral and push, car shop and hotwire another hummer
Gigafreak 21st May 2018, 6:32 PM edit delete reply
Looks like it has a carapace made from bone. Thale's Blood and Red are crappy bioprinted imitations, though, so it's unlikely that it's bulletproof like Vertebro was. Still looking fairly hardy, and the tunnels are too short for Michelle to just duck under that tail spike... Hmm.

It DOESN'T appear to have eyes, though. If we pre-deploy Michelle somewhere in the tunnels nearby, and have Lumpy drive the Hummer above that spot, it's possible she can get the drop on it just by standing still and remaining quiet... right up until she spins up the gun and opens fire.
Skullrama 21st May 2018, 6:44 PM edit delete reply
Said it below, but this looks like the 'prepare for battle' thread, so I'll chime in here too - maybe we should go get new guns and trade them up before we deploy Michelle to engage the beast?

We may end up with something much better suited to armor penetration than our minigun that shoots handgun bullets.
Gigafreak 21st May 2018, 7:06 PM edit delete reply
At first I was going to say "But then we won't have ammo left for the monster under Hope's church." ...And then I remembered Jury's team is on the case there, probably with rifles and stuff. So we can use super ammo on other things, such as this monster instead. (I call it... the Streetear.)

So while the others get back into the small car to do the buying, and then hauling the cargo back to headquarters for rituals... Michelle takes Lumpy on a joyride, driving the hummer randomly about the city until it's time to put the plan into action?
Skullrama 21st May 2018, 7:19 PM edit delete reply
We don't have to do the ritual at home base even, right? We can get candles and paint while we're out, find somewhere no one is watching.

If we're really lucky, we'll get something that makes it's own ammo the way our needle gun makes needles. Best to buy some ammo for trading just in case though.
Gigafreak 21st May 2018, 6:20 PM edit delete reply
Well, Elizabeth's "Thale-intuition" was right on the money. After we confirm this with the team and thank her for saving the operation, maybe we'll go with Michelle's plan and just gun it down.

Wonder if we can have the vehicle painted and its license plates disguised... but that second part's kind of illegal, so it'd probably have to wait until we can go on a riskier lower-tier excursion.
Skullrama 21st May 2018, 6:45 PM edit delete reply
Upvote for 'thank Elizabeth for chiming in and saving our asses'.
Cuttlefish 21st May 2018, 6:31 PM edit delete reply
I know the city probably doesn’t have any bridges over open water, etc, but is there somewhere we can drive across that the tunnels do not connect to underneath?
Skullrama 21st May 2018, 6:37 PM edit delete reply
Uh, crap. It's a little... bigger and more armored looking than I was hoping. Killing it might be trickier than anticipated.

So, we ambush it then, while it's getting it's ass riddled with bullets and turns attention to Michelle, the hummer takes off. Does it follow the hummer, or keep fighting Michelle? If it follows the hummer single-mindedly, we can just ambush it again.

Problem being, if it keeps fighting Michelle and turns out to be more than she can handle, I don't see an easy way to escape from something that can keep up with a car.


Idea! What IF.... we go and get guns first. Trade them up in an abandoned alley or something and hope for something with a nice, armor penetrating, deadly shot. We were gonna do that anyway, and taking this thing down could be a good test for the weapons.
wierdweblurker 21st May 2018, 6:43 PM edit delete reply
wierdweblurker
First, scream internally at the blonde monster. Seriously, how does that hair even stay up? After that, we may be able to solve two problems at once. If we lure the monster towards Thale's people-eater monster, we may be able to trick it into eating the tracker beast. If it does that, well... that's a lot of biomass. It may very well collapse the tunnel on itself without any interference from your team or Jury's agents.
Wote 21st May 2018, 7:18 PM edit delete reply
Clearly, the hair is held up by tremendous amounts of static. If we can find a soft point, we need to get some blood in there and see if we can figure out how it's generating it to bring us closer to replicating the Floor 0 boss's anti-air weaponry. :D
PurpleKetchup 21st May 2018, 7:09 PM edit delete reply
Well, it's damn big, so it won't be able to run past the other massive one in the tunnels.
Drive by the damn church then lose it as fast as possible ?
Gigafreak 21st May 2018, 7:15 PM edit delete reply
If not for the fear that Thale might notice the movement and notify Hope of our imminent arrival, I would love this plan because it is hilarious.
PurpleKetchup 21st May 2018, 11:08 PM edit delete reply
It would just be a random drive-by to lose it. Only then would we park in its vicinity to support Grizwald's extraction.
Skullrama 22nd May 2018, 12:18 AM edit delete reply
Hmm. I believe the church monster is directly under the floor of part of the (rather large)church. In order to get the two monsters to meet, we would probably have to drive the humvee DIRECTLY INTO the church.

Which would be awesome, if not entirely subtle.
Guest 22nd May 2018, 1:26 AM edit delete reply
It's not like this thing is hunting us, just following the hummer, and as pointed out on the last page we don't need the hummer outside our bunker, just accessible.

We could kill two birds with one stone by driving right into the church to save Griz.
ReikoLupus 21st May 2018, 7:09 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
It was bigger than expected XD.
And it looks very tough even being the speed-type. I suggest we buy a bunch of shotguns and trade them. We ARE underprepared to Fight Monsters and robots, Floor 0 of Bunker X showed us that. We need things with serious firepower. The baby of Michelle is the bare mínimum XD.

We still has time until we raid Hope's place, we don't need to rush and Exhaust ourselves fighting a different Monster and maybe even having someone end hurt because of that. Let's take our time to overkill this thing XD.
Skullrama 21st May 2018, 7:22 PM edit delete reply
Agreed other than one thing - shotguns are great in cramped quarters and even at range are hard to miss with... But they do not excel at armor penetration, what with the whole scattershot thing.

Couls come in handy for the invasion of the church, but likely not well suited for this creature.
ReikoLupus 21st May 2018, 7:33 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Good point XD. But I'm not really familiar with the world of the firearms. When I think about them, is a "There exists handguns, rifles, machine-guns, shotguns, and if you want serious power, a bazooka!". I'm that ignorant XD.
I can't choose appropiate weapons the Exchange, even if different types of the same style of weapon would get us things entirely different.
Electric Witch 21st May 2018, 8:53 PM edit delete reply
Why does it have hair and why does that hair disobey gravity?
Blue_Elite 21st May 2018, 9:16 PM edit delete reply
This reminds me of a Swordarms v2.0 (or like, v10.0). Fast and combat capable. We'll definitely want the whole group and not just Michelle fighting it.
Might be able to make a tactic out of hundling up after an initial volley of fire and bullets and have Caius use his shield to block that stinger. We theoretically can't outrun it so the idea would be to keep shifting behind Caius if it runs past him and pepper it with more bullets and fire until it gets close again wherein we keep shifting behind Caius. Sorta a matador strategy. We'll want to make at least 1 backup shield (either for Caius or to give to Michelle if it tries to move over and drop on us).
psychoshen 21st May 2018, 10:14 PM edit delete reply
psychoshen
It might be a good idea to let Jury know there's a monster mobile underneath the city. Perhaps the urgency of the situation will allow her to expedite whatever process she normally follows.
zelly_fangirl 21st May 2018, 10:45 PM edit delete reply
Inform the group that the monster is large and *fabulous*
Ablaze 21st May 2018, 11:04 PM edit delete reply
Fighting this creature is just going to deplete resources we need against the church monster...

Hrmmmm... Could there be any way to lure both monsters together and trick them into attacking each other? Or at least have one trample the other?
undeadDreamer 21st May 2018, 11:11 PM edit delete reply
Tell Michelle to take Lumpy. Worst case scenario Lumpy can turn into a bone spear to hold the monster for a second. Wait. What weapon is Michelle going to use to fight it?
Nayru9572 21st May 2018, 11:25 PM edit delete reply
Maybe ask Liz if she knows why in the world Thale made the monster blond. To piss us off further?
Guost 22nd May 2018, 12:31 AM edit delete reply
You've done well, rat, you may now run away.
skybirds15 22nd May 2018, 1:33 AM edit delete reply
A notable thing I noticed about this tunnel, is that it seems to only go in two directions.

We could go perpendicular to the tunnel to start and see its reaction. It might just jump up and try to kill us. So...
If this plan doesn't work at first, we could totally just repeat that perpendicular step until it does. Or just fake a hideout somewhere and set up an ambush whilst using a clever red-lvator to lift the hummer away.