Comic 1037 - Check on your golem

Posted on 20th May 2018, 3:58 PM in Chapter VIII
Check on your golem

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 0 (0 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 20th May 2018, 3:58 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
Caius hangs up his ear... thing, and turns back to you.

"Jury's workin' on it," he says. "Even if that thing's under tha church, it ain't enough to prove it's workin' with Hope, but--"

Fuse shrugs. "Man, it'd be hard to prove a monster like that's working with anybody."

Caius gives a quick nod, and a point. "Anyway, tha fact that it's there means she can do somethin' about it, she's just runnin' into tha same problem we got: how to deal with it without takin' tha whole damn tunnel out. ...Or lettin' tha monster take tha whole damn tunnel out. She's tryin' to get a team together, she's just in tha uhhh... tactical plannin' or whatever stage right now."

"Even if they just distract it," Fuse points out, "that'll at least keep it off us."

You have your bug drop an 'egg' in Hope's study. You don't have much material left in the bug.

You check on your large golem, and the rest of the gang. They've arrived at the hummer, still parked in a back alley. Dr. Finch is currently scanning the vehicle for tracers, with Michelle and Elizabeth keeping watch. Your golem sits in the back of your car. It looks like it won't take Dr. Finch very long to finish looking for tracking devices.

Comments:

Wote 20th May 2018, 4:20 PM edit delete reply
I guess we can keep on keepin' on. Should we swap our bug back to the other egg for now, if only to have ears near where people are?
Blue_Elite 20th May 2018, 4:26 PM edit delete reply
Get Lumpy into position to drive. Or at the very least practice a little with your own car before trying the hummer.
Gigafreak 20th May 2018, 4:29 PM edit delete reply
Err, wouldn't the hummer be more sturdy and therefore less likely to suffer damage in the event of an... altercation with a lamppost?
AgentKuga 20th May 2018, 7:29 PM edit delete reply
Haha that's true.
Blue_Elite 20th May 2018, 9:24 PM edit delete reply
The idea is just to get a feel for driving as the golem. We wouldn't even need to turn the engine on. Just practice working the petals (VERY big thing NOT to get wrong), maybe try turning the wheel slightly, check mirrors, that sorta thing.
Gigafreak 20th May 2018, 11:38 PM edit delete reply
...Wouldn't it still make more sense to do that in the Hummer, though...?
1977 20th May 2018, 4:29 PM edit delete reply
Can she drive the hummer with normal control like with the bug all this time, or does she have to go allout "I am the blood, this is just a body which drives the car" like back when escaping the church and the many?
skybirds15 20th May 2018, 4:40 PM edit delete reply
Digital lock, eh? Check with Fuse, see if he can open it, to be sure. There's either money or incriminating evidence in there, and since Hope is planning on being dead soon, we could use both. Mostly the evidence.

Also: if the safe is not airtight we could probably get the bug in there
1977 20th May 2018, 5:05 PM edit delete reply
I still think just grabbing the safe, taking it with us to open it back home later is easier than attempting to open it now.
pkrankow 20th May 2018, 7:01 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
Way too many digital locks have fixed codes in case of the user code being lost. With the brand, model, and serial number there are good odds that it can be looked up with disturbing ease. If it cannot be looked up there is an alternate method of entry that will be recommended. It may be separating the keypad from the unit and jumping some electronics pins or pads, or drilling in a percise manner - something that is really cool to see, the locksmith usually brings a small engine hoist in to position a mag base drill with exceptional care to drill a surprisingly small hole that will pass through key parts of the mechanism.

If that all fails the safe has to be cut apart with power tools.
PurpleKetchup 20th May 2018, 4:51 PM edit delete reply
Try refilling the redbug, it should be similar to replenishing your own blood from the red, but remotely.
Skullrama 20th May 2018, 6:58 PM edit delete reply
Unfortunately, we can't add mass to our golems directly from the red, as we do not consider them a part of us once created. While it keeps getting suggested, as it would be convenient, to make it work, we would have to convince ourselves that we ARE our golems which... would require us to jump through some tricky psychological hoops.
pkrankow 20th May 2018, 8:03 PM edit delete reply
pkrankow
We just gotta do it.

We need to simply hide the bug, and will more blood into it like we do our veins. It is simply a refill. Once we have some type of useful mass then make the mass what we need. Creating a small sack to hold the blood might be handy.

Yes, there is a risk of loosing the golem, but we would just reconstitute it again. The bigger risk is if we popped it where the mess is not contained.

Did you know if you stomp on a ketchup packet that half oz of ketchup can cover the entire side of a car?

Ooo! Alternate idea! Workaround: Make a golem egg here from our own blood. Schlorp the bug here to the now larger bug egg, then schlorp it back leaving a normal size egg!
Skullrama 20th May 2018, 9:07 PM edit delete reply
Rather than continue to explain why we can't move stuff between the red and our golems or create portals for one golem from another golem or ourself, perhaps my effort would be better spent trying to think up some mental gymnastics that would actually allow us to do so.

First pitch:

The golems are created in the Red - the Red is us. ...This makes the golems more like our children though, which still makes them 'other', not 'us', and we can't transport stuff directly from us (the Red) to something that is not us. ....I'm not sure we can recontextualize our sense of self to include our meat creations without endangering our self-image as human. This is tough - will keep thinking about it.
Blue_Elite 20th May 2018, 9:33 PM edit delete reply
In fairness, the blood bug is a special case. Most golems are made in/pulled from the red. The blood bug was explicitly made from our blood. So unlike the golems we make by pulling from the red, the blood bug is more a part of us than normal.
Not saying it'll work, but there it is.

Editor's Note: Really think we should bold/keyword the red because, there's like, three reds: THE red, MOM'S red, and OUR red. It can get kinda confusing but maybe that's just me.
Skullrama 20th May 2018, 10:29 PM edit delete reply
...Fair point. Currently, we can't send stuff to the bug, because we turned it into a bug and we're definitely not a bug, right?

But... if we can convince ourselves it's not a bug, just... our blood, that happens to be in the shape of a meat bug but is still totally definitely actually our blood... it might work.
Baron11704 20th May 2018, 5:33 PM edit delete reply
Check around that book about pickup artists, im thinkin its a secret entrance or something
ReikoLupus 20th May 2018, 6:25 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Transfer the Bug to where Griz is being captive. Set a Blood alarm for when they start a conversation, since it can be a good source of information about their plans, what do they know, and other things.
Then, put your attention in the side of the Hummer.
1977 20th May 2018, 6:32 PM edit delete reply
Judging from their banter last time wouldn't it be more effective to set the bloodalarm for when they stop talking?
ReikoLupus 20th May 2018, 6:36 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Fair point, but then it wouldn't be worth the time. Without them talking, there is going to be no information XD.
Is possible to put an alarm for something like "Start talking about X thing"?
Skullrama 20th May 2018, 7:02 PM edit delete reply
I'm kinda of surprised Finch just kinda popped out into the alley and waltzed up to scan the thing... I thought we were concerned it was under watch by police. Oh well, too late now!

Is Jane or any of our party familiar enough with the area to pick a good neutral location to drive to? While Lumpy is our insurance policy for a bomb, if he can get the hummer safely to a nearby place, there is no need for the golem to drive them everywhere... probably best if he isn't the chauffeur for going to buy guns.