Comic 1030 - Explore the right side

Posted on 17th May 2018, 9:08 PM in Chapter VIII
Explore the right side

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 17th May 2018, 9:08 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You wait patiently for the guards to stop looking... and then send your bug toward the door on the far right side of the main area.

Slipping under the door, you find a hallway with more paintings. There's... a surprising lack of guards here.

You ask the others in the lab about acquiring specialized ammo--maybe more powerful bullets? Illegal grade bullets.

"I know how to get a lot of stuff..." Fuse starts, "but it's all in the lower tiers. Depends on how hard you wanna gamble, I guess."

Michelle shrugs. "I know a lot o' gun places, but they're all pretty legit."

Caius breathes in slowly. "I might know some spots," he says. "I went with Mac to pick up some uhhh... party favors, once or twice. No idea if them places got got, though, they could be Thale's now."

"Half the city could be Thale's now," Dr. Finch states. "Especially the seedier portions. Anyone dealing in illegal armaments could be no stranger to other unlawful paraphernalia, such as Save the Queen. It hadn't spread far from the lower tiers when last we were aware, yes? Yes... but that means little now. Patton has gotten increasingly desperate."

There's a slight pause.

"My knowledge of what all institutions Thale has his blood in should be fairly current," Elizabeth says. "It's possible that he has increased the spread of the drug since I switched sides, but I highly doubt it. Production of the drug has been choked, and he's had higher priorities than pushing what's left on local arms dealers. If someone goes to purchase ammunition, I could accompany to verify."

"Daaamn, Liz," Michelle chuckles. "Alright."

"It's still a dangerous proposition," Dr. Finch replies. "You would be easily recognized by anyone in Thale's employ or control. If your information DOES end up being out of date, or if you're simply spotted along the way..."

"Y'know what would make that less of a problem?," Caius begins. "A bulletproof hummer, with tinted windows."

Fuse inhales sharply. "Hate to say it but the man makes a good point. I'd feel better staging a rescue with it, too."

Michelle shakes her head, smiling a little. "Our mission's developin' side missions that got their own side missions."

Comments:

ReikoLupus 17th May 2018, 9:33 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Send Michelle, Fuse, and Caius to get our Hummer (They can get Lyz once things calm down). Let's be sure that they are equipped with weapons and clothes that don't stand out, and know the ritual to create Bone Armor the moment they need it. Ah, and a small meat ball to everyone, in case we need to improvise something for them. Put an alarm in them that activates when they stress responses Jump in activity, and continue exploring this place.
Send our bug to search for the thing killing rats XD. Ah, and put an Egg close to the exit, in the case out bug end destroyed.
Gigafreak 17th May 2018, 11:35 PM edit delete reply
Thale sleeps for a few hours each night, and he has no reason to believe we are aware of his plans. Striking tonight during that gime window seems like the best plan-- since Hope hasn't made the exorcism announcement yet, Thale won't expect us until tomorrow at the earliest. He might hopefully not be awakened by feeling the tunnel monster die if it happens while he is asleep-- and even if he is, Hope and his thugs will likely also be mostly asleep at the time and need a few minutes to shake the cobwebs out before they can mount any effective response.

It's still pretty early in the day. Plenty of time to purchase ammo and supplies, or conduct a few other errands before deploying.
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 12:30 AM edit delete reply
Of course, we kind of took Elizabeth during one of his napes, so he's fully aware we know about those and may have started switching up when he rests more frequently.
Twyll 18th May 2018, 1:50 AM edit delete reply
When it comes to sending small meat balls with people, we can even make them *large* meat balls to start, then remove a portion and send it with people-- then we can shift mass from one to the other on the fly. We could just leave the remainder of each large meatball sitting at the base, presumably looking a bit gross XD
Madd 18th May 2018, 9:41 AM edit delete reply
Madd
We could make meat ball grenades.
Frission 17th May 2018, 9:35 PM edit delete reply
Frission
Let's observe the hummer. Didn't we have a rat or raven keeping tabs on it?
Blue_Elite 17th May 2018, 10:01 PM edit delete reply
Poe (not mentioned in this post but I'm tracking).

EDIT: Might as well also mention Edgar is the one heading to Zone 50 Site 1 and Allen is the raven still at Hope's Church.
Guest 17th May 2018, 9:39 PM edit delete reply
While on the way, someone should maybe phone Lydia, and inform her that Grizwald has been captured by Hope, yeah?
I'm sure she would like to know.
Blue_Elite 17th May 2018, 10:06 PM edit delete reply
No, let's not involve the highly-impulsive, danger prone lady with no chill in this (she's probably the reason the vents are trapped now). I'd rather not have to rescue two people.
undeadDreamer 17th May 2018, 9:57 PM edit delete reply
Remember we have access to a perfectly good criminal underbelly that isn't even in the same country as Thale.
AE-86 17th May 2018, 10:00 PM edit delete reply
Great idea. Probably the safest option.
ReikoLupus 17th May 2018, 10:29 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
But we still need that Hummer XD.
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 12:32 AM edit delete reply
But keep in mind, over in 'other country' guns are way WAY more strictly controlled. Even the cops don't really have them. Getting illegal bullets in such a place would be a far more spendy proposition, methinks.
Archon 18th May 2018, 7:27 AM edit delete reply
True, but it's still a great deal safer to buy/trade with them. Some thermite to burn holes deep in the monster, some acid to follow the shots and burn the thermite-carved tunnels, some shrapnel rounds for the shots to scatter inside the monster. Trade it all together with some ammo and we have something really nasty for the monster.
We even have the acid already, just need the thermite and the shrapnel rounds.
fellow 18th May 2018, 12:22 PM edit delete reply
fellow
We may not need to ask for ammo. We could get explosives or chemicals to harm the monster, or the ingredients to make them. We could also get weapons that aren't guns, like brass knuckles, hammers, bladed weapons or (compound)bows and arrow. We could then trade these weapons up for better versions.
ReikoLupus 18th May 2018, 12:24 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
The melee weapons can be made with Bone XD.
fellow 18th May 2018, 12:38 PM edit delete reply
fellow
Yeah but if you make them with bone, the most straightforward upgrade would be to get a sharper or heavier material. A regular melee weapon isn't really gonna hurt the monster much, we'd want a space weapon. And for that, the weapon we trade in should already be good.
Blue_Elite 17th May 2018, 10:24 PM edit delete reply
We've got some masks if it's necessary to get the hummer back. If Jane is not necessary, check the open doorway first (since it's already open) then check under the closed door.
37212513 18th May 2018, 12:36 AM edit delete reply
37212513
Looks like I've missed a few things, again. Ah well.

Regarding the bait idea a few pages back, we have a solution to that. Grow MJ. No body will miss a golem, and she's complex enough that as long as she's brought up to the right size, the enemy wouldn't know the difference. Control would require ALL of Janes focus, and she'd have to remind herself it's a clone that died if the golem get's got, but it covers all angles on that end. Give Finch command abilities with the blood so he can help with chem manipulation (cleantex, adrenaline, etc.), this covers the offensive team with remote support with abilities Jane normally uses. A perfect fit for him actually.

Next, I whole heartily agree with retrieving the hummer. If we can't get good bullets with money, trade up norms.

Finally, fuck this church. Buy bombs, or the ingredients for bombs. This church is getting leveled the moment we get out, with or without Grizwald. (I hate to be the guy who says it, but this is one character whom seems disposable, just by the way the story has been written so far. Moreover, if he gets queened, he's fucked anyway, this would be a mercy. On that note, we have to blood him even if we do save him on risk that he's playing a part, acting because Thale doesn't know how we're getting info, just that we are.)
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 12:42 AM edit delete reply
So... Guns aren't really hard to buy here right? And trading a bunch of shitty guns got us a minigun that shoots crappy bullets.

So why not buy a bunch of decent guns and trade them up? We have money... Maybe even pretty good guns, if we can afford a small pile of them without denting funds too terribly.

I vote rifles, we could uae something with range and stopping power.
37212513 18th May 2018, 12:44 AM edit delete reply
37212513
If we trade a rifle and a bunch of magnets, do we get a rail canon back? That would work on the monster in the tunnels.
Akasha 18th May 2018, 1:04 AM edit delete reply
Akasha
The ritual doesn't work like that. The items have to explicitly be similar, so you couldn't really trade a rifle and some magnets, just the magnets on their own.

Though, this does make me curious as to what happens if instead of any one gun you just trade up a bunch of guns instead of a bunch of any singular type of gun
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 12:49 AM edit delete reply
Now that I think about it, we've only ever traded up crappy or normal quality items... What if we got three or four extremely good rifles and traded those up? It might be kind of expensive, but we might get a space anti-tank rifle. ...an anti-space-tank rifle?
Nayru9572 18th May 2018, 1:53 AM edit delete reply
For our little golem, climb over the ceiling with it for now. Let's not get close to the vent: I get the impression that's the reason there aren't any guards in this hallway.
Frission 18th May 2018, 2:12 AM edit delete reply
Frission
I say in the meantime let's have someone do the trade up ritual on the ammo anyways. Just grab a case or two of the handgun ammo we're using for the minigun and see what happens. Dr. Finch could do that while we investigate our other possibilities here — multitasking and all that. :3
1977 18th May 2018, 5:27 AM edit delete reply
They alreday own Ilworth, right?
So what is keeoping them from clearing the space needed in the middle of the town to make the summoning circle and finally trade the cars?
If it's big enough for the cars then it should be big enough to trade bioprinters and biopaste as well.
1977 18th May 2018, 5:41 AM edit delete reply
Just thooght of a even crazier idea.
Make the circle around the whole town.
I'm sure trading up a whole town is not something that is done often.
I guess the stress put on the one trading it would be really great so maybe we should try that when we're well rested, so something to keep in mind for later.
Ablaze 18th May 2018, 6:47 AM edit delete reply
Unfortunately the Hummer is most likely compromised at this point. If you were to fetch it, it may have a tracker or a bomb on it.


Hey.... What would happen if you took a regular car, and inscribe the bone armor rune on it? Could we get a bone car from that?
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 8:07 AM edit delete reply
Pretty sure the ritual circles explicitly had to be drawn on one's skin
Madd 18th May 2018, 9:28 AM edit delete reply
Madd
We can't retrieve the Hummer, yet.

Lets have our team trade up a bunch of shotguns.

And lets have our friends trade up a bunch of ammunition repetitively.

We can check on the ravens and then checkout the doors at the end of the hallway.
Skullrama 18th May 2018, 10:22 AM edit delete reply
If we trade up some quality guns, we may get a space-gun that doesn't take standard ammo...or maybe makes its own ammo.

Still feel that we would have more tactical options with the range and penetration a rifle offers over a shotgun spread though.
The bohiem 18th May 2018, 11:20 AM edit delete reply
Elizabeth:
FUSE:PICK NOSE!
Be Peicie
The bohiem 18th May 2018, 11:22 AM edit delete reply
Elizabeth: Carve a Candy Bar and a soda
fellow 18th May 2018, 12:15 PM edit delete reply
fellow
You know, if we fixed Elizabeth's physiology a bit, like I think we were planning to do at some point, she'd just be some tall woman that Thayle and his goons aren't on the lookout for. She wouldn't have to worry about being seen on her way to the hummer or an arms dealer.