Comic 1144 - Exit the red

Posted on 12th Dec 2018, 4:32 PM in Chapter IX
Exit the red

<<First Latest>>
Average Rating: 5 (3 votes) / Rate this comic

Author Notes:

Morgenstern 12th Dec 2018, 4:32 PM edit delete
Morgenstern
You begin to give an elaborate speech about how no, you don't make sense--and that's why you're going to beat Thale. He can only comprehend greed and power, and he can't wrap his mind around the lengths you're willing to go to, and the kind of strength that love and companionship give you. The evil that perpetuates in the world is a cycle, and you break cycles. Maybe it's not you that's crazy, maybe it IS the world--

"Mine," Red interrupts, wearily. "Maybe you should save that for later, when we're not all falling apart."

Oh, right. The worm is still deteriorating from red exposure, and Red looks... whole, mostly. Her image seems to blur and distort, on and off, in places.

You hurriedly hug her, and thank her. She rejoins your body, feeling substantially... less, than she was before. You believe she'll get better with some rest--the damage wasn't anything permanent, she's just very drained.

You focus. As long as you exit the red at some point after you entered, then there shouldn't be any negative repercussions--so you try to open your portal back up at a time shortly after you arrived here. That way, no matter how much time you actually spent here... you'll only have been gone a little while.

You open the portal to the power plant.

The ghostly imprint of part of the worm is sort of... sucked through the portal entrance, dispersing into the latent EM field as it enters the facility--rejoining the network of the worm proper.

You force yourself through the portal, as well, and arrive in the midst of... a full blown battle.


image



Fuse is throwing up walls of fire to push back half-formed spirits. Michelle is firing at the worm with her minigun, though the damage thus far is minimal. Caius is... scaling the silkworm's body, his hammer strapped to his back. The worm spews bursts of caustic saliva, which Michelle mostly dodges--her armor tanking the minimal droplets she can't avoid.

"Guys, it's charging back up again!," Fuse yells, cradling some kind of device in one hand--it seems to be reading the electrical levels in the area.

"Is our EMP thing gonna work again--?," Michelle begins to ask, throwing a glance back toward Fuse... and seeing you. "BLONDIE!"

"Wha--" Caius stops climbing, angling a look toward you as well. "She's alright!"

"I told y'all!," Michelle shouts.

"Holy shit," Fuse mutters, looking back to make sure it's really you. "We thought the worm, like... ate you or something."

"YOU'VE MADE A GRAVE ERROR," the voices of the worm crackle.

"YOU WERE STRUGGLING AGAINST ONLY A FRACTION OF WHAT I HAVE."

"NOW, I AM WHOLE AGAIN."

"MY POWER HAS RETURNED."

"AND WITH IT, I--"

"... WAIT."

"I DON'T--"

"WHAT IS THIS."

You tell everyone to stand down.

The worm's ghostly minions flicker out of existence.

Michelle quits firing, Fuse takes a moment to breathe, and Caius... er... stops where he is, dangling off the side of the worm.

"YOU..."

"YOU COULD HAVE TORN MY SOULS APART."

"YOU COULD HAVE LEFT THEM THERE."

"YOU CHOSE... TO DO THIS."

"YOU FOUGHT FOR PEACE."

"EVEN WHEN YOU DIDN'T NEED TO."

"EVEN WHEN IT WAS THE HARDER CHOICE."

"ALL OF THIS..."

"I NEED TIME"

"TO THINK ABOUT THIS."

"I DON'T--"

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS."

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS."

You ask, just out of curiosity, how long you were gone. Caius starts to climb back down.

Fuse gives an exhausted sigh. "It's like... what, one in the morning?"

Michelle nods, and leans on the railing of the balcony. "You were gone for about 10 hours."

Comments:

Leafia_Barrett 12th Dec 2018, 5:04 PM edit delete reply
Leafia_Barrett
Er... whoops? Apologize profusely for leaving everyone in the dark for that long. ^^; Let's just... go home and everyone sleep. We can reconvene with the worm in the morning.
Some Random Guy 12th Dec 2018, 8:40 PM edit delete reply
Some Random Guy
We should also tell the worm that we are going to give it the time to think over everything, and check back in with it tomorrow.
Nayru9572 12th Dec 2018, 5:04 PM edit delete reply
Apologize for worrying everyone, check on their health, and find a way to put out the fire and get Caius safely off the worm.
undeadDreamer 12th Dec 2018, 5:07 PM edit delete reply
undeadDreamer
...What made you all think it was a good idea to go fight the demi-god worm?
Mister 12th Dec 2018, 7:20 PM edit delete reply
+1 :D
this is a great question to ask
Gigafreak 12th Dec 2018, 5:11 PM edit delete reply
Alright, we need to apologize to the silkworm (and maybe ask if it has a name), we need to thank Michelle for the answer from the Tradesmen ritual and whatever it is that she sacrificed to receive it, we need to thank the team for their sentiment in coming to avenge our apparent death, and then I think it's time to return to the bunker to debrief. Maybe do some non-strenuous things, inform Pierce and the Mars family of the current situation, and rest. We can discuss the meaning of friendship with the silkworm tomorrow, after it's had time to contemplate the things it learned from the imprint Mine fed it.
1977 12th Dec 2018, 6:08 PM edit delete reply
"We can discuss the meaning of friendship with the silkworm tomorrow"

Looks like it's time for a "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" marathon.
Everyone (yes, Thale and Carpenter/Nil too) gets an invitation, afterwards grouphug, all are happy, world is a better place, end of comic.
Twyll 12th Dec 2018, 5:13 PM edit delete reply
Whoops. Guess we've still got a ways to go when it comes to fiddling with time...

Let's give the Silkwyrm a chance to think and go get some sleep. We've also got to check on Edison if we have the energy to do so, perhaps while we're on the way back from Ilworth. I'd like to visit her in astral projection form at some point to sort of... show solidarity with her by being less solid, but perhaps that's a task for a later time. I suspect the exhaustion from what we've just done is about to hit aaaaany second now.

We can come back tomorrow and see what Ilworthoggr has to say after having a night to sleep on it. (If it sleeps, that is XD) Before we go, does it need any help with battle damage? While we're checking on the health of our allies, we may as well make sure there isn't anything we can do to help the wyrm too, as a gesture of kindness.

Also hug everyone and say thank you for coming to rescue us. Next time this happens-- because let's be real, it may well happen again-- we'll have to figure out a way of letting them know that we're alright.
Toricon 12th Dec 2018, 5:18 PM edit delete reply
We should check in with everyone about what happened while we were gone. And with Red about how she's doing, and if there's anything more we can do for her besides wait.
ReikoLupus 12th Dec 2018, 5:56 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
...This guys have been fighting against a God Worm and a Legions of Ghosts for 10 hours.
...What the hell they'll be capable of when we give them proper weapons and armor?
chandler1498 12th Dec 2018, 6:04 PM edit delete reply
chandler1498
The party is bae, for sure.

I would argue we've definitely reached "proper weapons" tier, even if there's some room to upgrade. Michelle's got her minigun, Caius has his amazing hammer.

I'll concede that Fuse could use something to compliment his abilities better than a pistol, but I'm not sure right now what that might look like.
Some Random Guy 12th Dec 2018, 8:42 PM edit delete reply
Some Random Guy
It probably looks like something along the lines of a projectile weapon with flammable ammunition, to allow for long-ranged burning, Or, we can make him a bone army knife for dem close up encounters, whatever he would like I guess.
ReikoLupus 12th Dec 2018, 10:55 PM edit delete reply
ReikoLupus
Maybe a somwhat normal water gun but with a highly flammable liquid inside? (Obviously, we'll exchange it for it's Alien versión XD)
That way, instead of a simply explosión of flames that causes damage and maybe makes the clothes of the enemy catch fire (If it is using clothes XD), he'll really drown them in flames without having to maintain the flame with his willpower.
And if we end putting in fire an entire Building of Forest by accident doing that... We can always put it off with 5000 lts of Blood XD.
Frission 12th Dec 2018, 8:23 PM edit delete reply
Frission
I see. 10 hours. Yes. Yesssss. Well.

We may need to work on our Red-Time-Control Accuracy. As is we're about as good at hitting an exact time as The Doctor. >_>
Fishworshipper 12th Dec 2018, 9:07 PM edit delete reply
Contacting the Tradesmen ourselves might be a good idea. It’s late and we’re gonna go to sleep anyways, being more tired won’t hut.
Fishworshipper 12th Dec 2018, 9:11 PM edit delete reply
Hurt*
Gosh dangit autocorrect!
Limrix 12th Dec 2018, 9:46 PM edit delete reply
I guess in the span of eternity, within ten hours is a pretty good mark. We'll need a much better way of coordinating the time before we do that again. Maybe like a clock that we just don't mess with.

Let's see our selves out, and catch up on what happened today with everyone. Not just our closest allies, actually everyone.
skybirds15 12th Dec 2018, 10:47 PM edit delete reply
Welp

Better than a month I guess. Did the base explode or something?

Also explain things. Possibly here, possibly not. We could just leave our blood here and form a mouth and ears or something here when the worm wants to talk.

Sleep time!
skybirds15 12th Dec 2018, 10:58 PM edit delete reply
Also ask what Michelle had to give the tradesmen for that info. Just so we're prepared for that.
chaosblitz 12th Dec 2018, 11:39 PM edit delete reply
well shit. we need to get better at time keeping in the red. but that's an issue for another day. for now, apologize and hug everyone. We really didn't mean to make them worry, it's just how things worked out. And hey, no one died! (probably. make sure everyone's been okay on the physical plane as well) Let's leave and give the worm some time to think things over, hopefully it'll agree with us and we can set up the mars colony to live peacefully alongside it. Also maybe we should ask either today or tommorrow if it has a name it wants to go by? (and a gender preference for that matter. even "they" is better than it.)
skybirds15 13th Dec 2018, 1:21 AM edit delete reply
It's obvs them. Their name is legion for they are many. Also asking for its gender preference may make it think we're stupid for caring about something so inconsequential to everything, as it is a large worm and not human with human sensibilities.
Cyanic 13th Dec 2018, 12:03 AM edit delete reply
ohcrAPDAMMIT

after everyone's settled,
let's leave some of our blood in like a bone bowl here for the worm to partake in if it wants to (also leave some eyes and set a blood alarm in case the worm does anything with the blood, which includes partaking in it)
lil Joshu 13th Dec 2018, 3:27 AM edit delete reply
lil Joshu
Just... keep an eye on it until it decides what to do, one way or another. We don't want it alerting Thale where were are somehow.
1977 13th Dec 2018, 6:35 AM edit delete reply
So, we want to do something that is easy and quick and don't need a lot of resources?
Look on the other side of the Bunker X door.
It is the only door we don't know what is on the other side.
At least until we find a new bunkercode.
psychoshen 13th Dec 2018, 8:03 AM edit delete reply
psychoshen
Wow, we need to tell them team what an unbelievably good job they did. They definitely deserve some recognition, reward and relaxation after all that! Also, chide them for being silly, because if Mine were dead, they would all know for certain without a doubt.